Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

Initially planned on doing an Asuka Firefly, however already having a completed Dragon Firefly i felt the cabinet was lacking a "Vanilla"  75mm but which one?

Probably sticking with Asuka/Tasca and fancying something British I've narrowed it down to either the El Alamein  Sherman II DV or the mid production Sherman III. The Eduard M4A1 being an outside possibility. 

I feel the GB is lacking a contribution from North Africa but...any preferences?

Probably won't be starting for a week or so yet.

spacer.png

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Initially planned on doing an Asuka Firefly, however already having a completed Dragon Firefly i felt the cabinet was lacking a "Vanilla"  75mm but which one?

Probably sticking with Asuka/Tasca and fancying something British I've narrowed it down to either the El Alamein  Sherman II DV or the mid production Sherman III. The Eduard M4A1 being an outside possibility. 

I feel the GB is lacking a contribution from North Africa but...any preferences?

spacer.png

Cheers

Darryl 

Hello Darryl looks like you have nice options there. The two you mentioned look similar to my Tamiya Early M4, I have the T49 track and am considering North Africa or Italy. I don't suppose its possible to get a Mk.III from this Tamiya kit ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35190-m4-sherman--128886#

If so then I can open my search for decals and camouflage. 

• Thanks 1

To convert an M4 into an M4A2 (Sherman III) you'd need to scratch/source a new engine deck, lower rear plate & exhaust system as they use completely different engines (M4 petrol & M4A2 diesel).

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

spacer.png

Cheers

Darryl 

Nice selection Darryl,

Personally I would go for the Sherman II, I have been after one at the right price for a while.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Darryl looks like you have nice options there. The two you mentioned look similar to my Tamiya Early M4, I have the T49 track and am considering North Africa or Italy. I don't suppose its possible to get a Mk.III from this Tamiya kit ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35190-m4-sherman--128886#

If so then I can open my search for decals and camouflage. 

Thanks Dennis, tbh I'm probably not the person to ask about the differences and how to convert, however one thing BM does have is plenty of well informed folk that do.

I think @Mig Eater has probably answered it in a nut shell,  you could try @Bullbasket or @Das Abteilung both being incredibly well informed and very helpful I've found.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

To convert an M4 into an M4A2 (Sherman III) you'd need to scratch/source a new engine deck, lower rear plate & exhaust system as they use completely different engines (M4 petrol & M4A2 diesel).

If you have a late release Dragon/DML M4 kit, the M4A2 engine deck and back plate , exhausts will be spare parts. I’ve checked with some vernier calipers and it should fit with some surgery. The Tamiya M4 is a mixed bag, the hull has no sponsons, the suspension is incorrect, being raised arm return rollers and the glacis is incorrect, but not exactly what! And the solid five spoke wheels have no backings, many parts being shared with the older M4A3 kit. However it has plenty of options. And I like it. 

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diablo rsv said:

Nice selection Darryl,

Personally I would go for the Sherman II, I have been after one at the right price for a while.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I think that is probably my current favourite, it'll be nice to have a bit of variety amidst the OD M4s.

Picked it up years ago along with an early M4A1 off ebay for a very reasonable price, I'd hope they might reissue it at some point.🤞

22 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hi Darryl, I would prefer ... an M3 🤪

You would you maniac, no way am I going for a Miniart kit, that way madness lies!

I do have a Grant CDL though....

• Haha 3

Your sherman stash looks good, i remember the last sherman gb, all the types,bogeys, guns and tracks,engine decks, made me a bit giddy, a flippin minefield these are, I'm  going for the KISS method with mine .

• Like 2

Hi Darryl, I was tempted to go for an early desert war Sherman, either a Mk.II or Mk.III with the RAF roundel air recognition marking, they are on my to do list but I wanted to get this dozer bladed Sherman built.  Go for a dusty Mk,II (M4A1) it will be different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Your sherman stash looks good, i remember the last sherman gb, all the types,bogeys, guns and tracks,engine decks, made me a bit giddy, a flippin minefield these are, I'm  going for the KISS method with mine .

That's why I'm Sherman-averse. I haven't the life expectancy to learn all the minutia.

(p.s. I am 13 and three quarters years old. 😉)

• Haha 2

Forget using the Tamiya M4 for anything. It is a poor offering and the hull is already a hybrid M4-M4A4 even before you think about converting it.  And making an A2 from an M4 is much more than just a new engine deck.

Dragon Shermans are getting hard to find in the UK.  There is a single El Alamein Sherman II on eBay right now, along with a single Asuka version.  I bought the other Asuka one which was listed. That kit is currently OOP.  The Asuka Sherman III is currently available. I've seen it in a couple of places.  I know the Bovington museum shop has some. Setchfields in Poole did have a Dragon Sicily Sherman III last time I was there a couple of weeks back. I bought the DV M4 they had. You do see the other Dragon Sherman IIIs occasionally.

All of the non-British boxings from all brands come without the usual UK adaptions, which you will need to add back.

I have several desert era M3 and M4 kits but decided to do my Zvezda M4A3 for the GB. As a 761st TB Black Panthers tank. A colleague is very interested in coloured servicemen in WW2 so I will offer it to him after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Darryl, I was tempted to go for an early desert war Sherman, either a Mk.II or Mk.III with the RAF roundel air recognition marking, they are on my to do list but I wanted to get this dozer bladed Sherman built.  Go for a dusty Mk,II (M4A1) it will be different.

That's probably the direction I'm heading,  pretty much oob build of the Tasca Mk II. I don't know enough of the nuances in the different versions so I can build in blissful ignorance!

Don't let on but I might even use the kit supplied rubber band tracks, just don't tell anyone! :whistle:

Even better, virtually no pe, almost feels like cheating!

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's why I'm Sherman-averse. I haven't the life expectancy to learn all the minutia.

(p.s. I am 13 and three quarters years old. 😉)

And it's the 3/4 that makes the difference!

I'd love to know the minutia too but most days....:tumble:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tasca/Asuka Sherman II is a fairly faithful representation of an early Pressed Steel Car M4A1 with the riveted leftover M3 lower hull initially used by them on M4 and M4A1. It doesn't need any work other than replacing the vinyl tracks with some Miniart T41 tracks if you dont like vinyl and perhaps a metal gun barrel. But the early M3 guns had a flared muzzle which most brands dont have. You might find a Master or RB barrel set for an M3 better.

• Thanks 1

Whichever one you go for, Darryl….

The little round things go on the bottom…

The Big round thing goes on top !! 👍

🤣

I think you should definitely do a Desert one. 
I don’t remember anyone signing up for one either. 

• Haha 3

Hi Darryl and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. Whichever kit you end up making, I hope you have an enjoyable build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Found another one, this time a Sherman III by Dragon/Cyberhobby, knew I had it somewhere.

spacer.png

The joy of spreading the stash,  you never know what you'll find hidden somewhere. :frantic:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The Tasca/Asuka Sherman II is a fairly faithful representation of an early Pressed Steel Car M4A1 with the riveted leftover M3 lower hull initially used by them on M4 and M4A1. It doesn't need any work other than replacing the vinyl tracks with some Miniart T41 tracks if you dont like vinyl and perhaps a metal gun barrel. But the early M3 guns had a flared muzzle which most brands dont have. You might find a Master or RB barrel set for an M3 better.

Thanks for the heads up DA, I'll keep the tracks and barrel in mind.

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That looks like a good selection, Daryl

Just started on my first Tasca/Asuka Sherman, and have to say, it looks very good.

If you want to go for a North Africa scheme, go for the DV Sherman II

Thanks Robert, think the Tasca II is still the leading choice, never built one of the Tasca/Asuka offerings but I've heard good things.

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

Whichever one you go for, Darryl….

The little round things go on the bottom…

The Big round thing goes on top !! 👍

🤣

I think you should definitely do a Desert one. 
I don’t remember anyone signing up for one either. 

You've no idea how grateful I am for that little nugget of wisdom...

To be clear, that's the big round spiny thing with the long handle that goes topside?? :idea:

5 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Yes another vote for the tascs DV II.

Think that'll be decision made then, North Africa based Tasca Sherman it will be!

The Firefly can wait its turn.

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. Whichever kit you end up making, I hope you have an enjoyable build.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, for a bit of variety Tasca Sherman II is going to be my next victim!

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great, after seeing @Bertie Psmith and pals building those Miniart M3s and chuckling at those spiteful multipart indi link tracks....

If I want to replace the rubber bands for my Sherman II what options do I have....Miniart indi link!

Accursed things! :wall:

I know I was warned but still....

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I know I was warned but still....

I have mentioned it to other builders of Tasca/Asuka M4's, those working suspension units are a bit fragile, so unless you are putting it on an uneven display base I always run some thin glue into the suspension units to give them more strength. :nod:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jasper dog changed the title to Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

At last, only two weeks late to the party....:waiting:

Bench cleaned off, rearranged and ready to go! :frantic:

spacer.png

Obligatory box contents shot, guess it proves, at least to this point, it's unstated.

spacer.png

Road wheels removed from sprue, tyres attacked with a scalpel and worked over with a medium grade sanding stick

spacer.png

A start has been made on the 6 suspension units, still more work to do, and the infamous Asuka rubber sheet ready to be cut down.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another bonus of this Asuka kit is the colour of the plastic, no worries having to paint it, slap a bit of black on the tyres and job done! :whistle:

Good luck everyone!

Darryl 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2