1/48 Hasegawa A-4C Skyhawk - Argentine Air Force - "Malvinas"

59 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

Brilliant, love it.  :worthy:

The base has some depth and mood to it that adds to the subject.....if that makes any sense. 

Cheers

Gaz

It makes plenty of sense and I agree.

• Like 1

Lovely model Calum,..... but please,.... the islands are called the Falklands,....... the islanders or the people who fought to free them from invasion do not like the false Argentinian name and using it is disrespectful..

• Like 9

That looks fantastic,great work.

Can't believe it's been 40 years,seems like yesterday,my company was on strike and I watched the coverage all day on CNN ?can't remember the channel.

Edited by Tojo72
  • Like 1

That's a great piece of modelling. Interesting camouflage scheme, nicely painted and weathered. The depiction of it barreling in low over the waves is terrific. My only question is the thickness of the tail fin, which seems extraordinarily thick.

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

Lovely model Calum,..... but please,.... the islands are called the Falklands,....... the islanders or the people who fought to free them from invasion do not like the false Argentinian name and using it is disrespectful..

Please let us not fight over this after 40 years.  

Ive been told the Spanish language name for the last 400 years has been Malvinas. The English name for the archipelago is the Falklands and by the same token cannot be called "false". Thus both names are correct in their own language. To declare one or the other "false" is politicizing/rewriting history.

The original name was the Malouines - the name given to the islands by the original French colonizers (coming mainly from tho city and port of St. Malô. By treaty with Spain the Malouines (the archipelago's name in French is still that) were ceded to Spain in the 17th century - upon which the name Malouines was changed to Malvinas. The name Falkland was likewise given to the archipelago by British explorers about the same time.

Let leave it there please.

Oh and Calum good looking model. A friend of mine who was on one of the ships being attacked always spoke of his respect for the Argentine pilots coming down through eveything being thrown at them by the task force even though they were on the opposite sides. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 3/21/2022 at 12:36 PM, tonyot said:

I would just like to add that my reply to this post aimed at me was removed by the said admin,..... WOW!  There was nothing derogatory said either. 

Sorry Calum for adding this to your excellent model,..... I was simply trying to advise you about the local feeling, seeing as you are not a Brit. 

No worries Tony.  Although I'm not a Brit I have a enough knowledge of the conflict to understand there is still some sensitivity on the conflict.  That said it was a deliberate choice to use the Argentine name. 

To explain my reasoning for using "Malvinas" in lieu of "Falkands "  - it's simply that the model is of an Argentine subject in a conflict they fought in. SO I think it's appropriate to give title it something that reflects what they called it.  In the article for the Sea Harrier I built a few years ago, I used Falkands.

Edited by Calum
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Nice job, Calum. I have just finished reading Harrier 809 by Rowland White which generates some quite evocative memories regarding Argentinian A-4s skimming across the South Atlantic.

Well Done, Sir !.