Dragon 1/48 Ho 229 V3

Hi all

I would like to present some images of my Horten Ho 229, built from the Dragon kit.  There were many modifications, or changes made based on the info found in the Kagero Monograph on the Horten.  I made these changes on the assumption that the Kagero book and plans are correct, so it may or may not be an accurate representation of the Ho 229.  To the best of my knowledge from my readings, the Ho 229 V3 was never fully assembled until after the war, while on display at the Douglas Aircraft factory, and this is how I have chosen to display my model.  

This may prove to be the last aircraft model I will build, as I have been losing interest in the hobby over the past few years and have subsequently sold off all my kits, books, paints, finished models and awards.  I considered this model as unfinished business, so that is why I have chosen to finish it and present it at this time. 

Z7azEDUh.jpg

TKueqA6h.jpg

N3uBPJ3h.jpg

H9hhKOYh.jpg

W3ZKOZUh.jpg

2dklcW6h.jpg

kTJSdzFh.jpg

ov9A8juh.jpg

gSEAK1bh.jpg

WmlDVDxh.jpg

aUJTqJhh.jpg

ABOeOAvh.jpg

Zegh4xKh.jpg

9O9Uqzrh.jpg

RkoRY4Zh.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Excellent, the wood finish is particularly worth mentioning. Very pleasing to the eye.

Hopefully, maybe, we'll see you back again with more good stuff in the future if the bug bites again.

All the best

Cheers

Gaz

5 hours ago, Werdna said:

wow, that's excellent - well done :) 

Would be a shame to walk away from such a high standard of modelling..

Thanks much.  I was suffering from a self-imposed stress that took the fun out of the hobby.  Every model was built to compete and I found myself re-doing so many aspects of the build, trying to get things just right, that I was dreading each step of the build. 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, opus999 said:

That is gorgeous! I really appreciate seeing it without paint to see how it was constructed.

Much appreciated.  Finishing it in natural wood was something I had wanted to do for many, many years, but other projects kept getting in the way.

Cheers

4 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That’s beautiful, the metalwork is fantastic!

Thank you for the compliment.  Alclad 2 is great stuff to work with...sprays beautifully and takes a lot of handling.

Cheers

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Utterly marvellous :)

Thanks much.

Cheers

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

As others have said, outstanding work. How did you achieve he wood finish?

Thanks.

Initially I thought I would use the Uschi decals that I had invested so much money into, but when I made test swatches of paint an applied the decals I found that they were silvering badly. In addition I could see all the individual ink dots/pixilation in the decals and I knew I would not be happy with the look. So I opted to paint the wood grain. 

To achieve the wood look I first painted each individual panel in different shades of tan and creme.  Some of the colours I used were Xtracolor RFC Linen, Radome Tan, Desert Sand, French Creme, Kuwaiti Sand and so on. You get the drift. Then each panel was masked off and I applied Winsor & Newton oil paints straight from the tube.  I used Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre and Raw Sienna in varying amount and locations, depending on the look I wanted.  The oils were applied using a 1/4" wide brush to establish the basic look and direction of wood grain. 

Then using a fan brush, the grain was softened and the various colours were blended.  Turning the brush 90 degrees would allow me to create the finer more distinct elements of the grain.

It is a long process as it takes about four days for the oils to dry, before the panel can be masked and then the adjacent panel can be painted.  I imagine I could have shortened the drying time by soaking up some of the oil from the paint, or by using a drying accelerator, but my experience has shown me that I have more control and working time with the paint if it is not drying quickly.  

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Randy, What a fabulous swansong to your modelling history. 

It's a great shame that we won't see any more of your skills.

Thanks Pete.

I am done with aircraft and I am taking a break from modelling.  Perhaps down the road I might give it another try, but it will be a different discipline.  I would like to build a model of my car...

Clnhvsdh.jpg

or even a sci-fi subject.

Cheers

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Excellent, the wood finish is particularly worth mentioning. Very pleasing to the eye.

Hopefully, maybe, we'll see you back again with more good stuff in the future if the bug bites again.

All the best

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks very much Gaz.  We never know which direction we will take, so who knows...maybe some day I will close the circle.

Cheers

17 hours ago, Randy Lutz said:

+++

This may prove to be the last aircraft model I will build, as I have been losing interest in the hobby over the past few years and have subsequently sold off all my kits, books, paints, finished models and awards.  I considered this model as unfinished business, so that is why I have chosen to finish it and present it at this time.

+++

It would be a pity if you walked away, but you would not walk away having failed.

As much as Uschi decals are good, nothing beats wood effects made with oils in my humble opinion. Your work with this medium is excellent.

Like all the good folks above, I too think it’s too bad if you quit the hobby, you have such great skills. Perhaps a sabbatical period?? I did one a few years ago and come back to the hobby with renewed interest

Edited by Holzhamer

Well Randy, a superbly crafted model for your swansong. The painted wood grain is very effective. I've always wondered at the contrast between the flawless, streamlined form of the airframe and the ungainly undercarriage. As this is one of the best models I've seen on the web for a while, such a unique and interesting type, I hereby award you the Golden Kookaburra to send you on your way. Bravo!

golden-Kookaburra.jpg

• Like 2

Sad to hear your leaving the hobby Slim. Wil miss your work. Being an old fart that agonized over builds I can empathise. I have lost a lot of my zeal over the years too. but I just can't pull myself away from the hobby. Every time I think of quitting a kit comes out that interests me. 

I hope to still see you around.

Your old pal,

George

18 hours ago, Randy Lutz said:

Thanks much.  I was suffering from a self-imposed stress that took the fun out of the hobby.  Every model was built to compete and I found myself re-doing so many aspects of the build, trying to get things just right, that I was dreading each step of the build. 

Cheers

Randy,

I get that! Horten looks great. Best wishes.

Rod