South African Spitire Mk. Vc, Airfix, 1/72

Spitfire Mk. Vc | Airfix | 1/72
No. 2 Squadron, South African Air Force, Gioia del Colle, Italy, October 1943

PHg2kF6.jpg

I finished this on 3/12/2022.  I pre-ordered this kit a little over a year ago and it never arrived.  I thought I'd never get to build it, but then found it at an online hobby store I frequent.  I bought two because I couldn't choose between the two profiles they offered!

This kit was everything that other folks said it was.  It was a well-fitting, easy build with nice detail.  The only issue I had was that one of the two kits had a sizable wing root gap.  But that was easily and quickly fixed.  The only other gripe I have is that the canopy is not a consistent thickness, so the cockpit is distorted when you look through it. The bulkheads in the cockpit are a bit thick, but the detail is nice.  The plastic is harder than previous Airfix kits, which I like and the panel line engraving was just about right.  There really wasn't any seam work to speak of.

The only addition I made was to add Eduard steel seatbelts, which are visible despite the warped canopy.

I Found a couple of pictures of DB-V, but they were either too far away or too grainy to see detail.  Other pictures exist of No. 2 squadron Spitfires, some very close up, and they show them to be fairly clean and not too worn, so that guided my weathering.

There is some interesting controversy about the Cannon covers, which are clearly a different color than the rest of the wing, but since the pictures are black and white, no one know what color.  I went with the same red as the wing tips and spinner only because they looked like the same shade of gray.  The pictures also show a leading edge band along the entire wing which is also unusual.  Again, no one knows the color.

WIP is here 

Aftermarket: Eduard Steel Seatbelts
Paint: Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer / Hataka Lacquer Dark Earth / Mr. Color Middlestone / Mr. Color Azure blue / Mr color white and insignia red (spinner)

JIXLSgb.jpg

5xP0Y3Z.jpg

9PImcRx.jpg

phblCZK.jpg

qVLXOs5.jpg

ZtshLtr.jpg

CycVZpj.jpg

DTp9z78.jpg

bwnhlSM.jpg

u70tMpK.jpg

FxhninZ.jpg?1

Here it is with its companion build:

LytL82P.jpg

And here they are with an Eduard Mk. IX I finished a couple years ago.

KDpcTHQ.jpg

Hope you like it!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism always welcome!

Edited by opus999
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, opus999 said:

Spitfire Mk. Vc | Airfix | 1/72
No. 2 Squadron, South African Air Force, Gioia del Colle, Italy, October 1943

PHg2kF6.jpg

I finished this on 3/12/2022.  I pre-ordered this kit a little over a year ago and it never arrived.  I thought I'd never get to build it, but then found it at an online hobby store I frequent.  I bought two because I couldn't choose between the two profiles they offered!

This kit was everything that other folks said it was.  It was a well-fitting, easy build with nice detail.  The only issue I had was that one of the two kits had a sizable wing root gap.  But that was easily and quickly fixed.  The only other gripe I have is that the canopy is not a consistent thickness, so the cockpit is distorted when you look through it. The bulkheads in the cockpit are a bit thick, but the detail is nice.  The plastic is harder than previous Airfix kits, which I like and the panel line engraving was just about right.  There really wasn't any seam work to speak of.

The only addition I made was to add Eduard steel seatbelts, which are visible despite the warped canopy.

I Found a couple of pictures of DB-V, but they were either too far away or too grainy to see detail.  Other pictures exist of No. 2 squadron Spitfires, some very close up, and they show them to be fairly clean and not too worn, so that guided my weathering.

There is some interesting controversy about the Cannon covers, which are clearly a different color than the rest of the wing, but since the pictures are black and white, no one know what color.  I went with the same red as the wing tips and spinner only because they looked like the same shade of gray.  The pictures also show a leading edge band along the entire wing which is also unusual.  Again, no one knows the color.

WIP is here 

Aftermarket: Eduard Steel Seatbelts
Paint: Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer / Hataka Lacquer Dark Earth / Mr. Color Middlestone / Mr. Color Azure blue / Mr color white and insignia red (spinner)

JIXLSgb.jpg

5xP0Y3Z.jpg

9PImcRx.jpg

phblCZK.jpg

qVLXOs5.jpg

ZtshLtr.jpg

CycVZpj.jpg

DTp9z78.jpg

bwnhlSM.jpg

u70tMpK.jpg

KrgcIps.jpg

Here it is with its companion build:

LytL82P.jpg

And here they are with an Eduard Mk. IX I finished a couple years ago.

KDpcTHQ.jpg

Hope you like it!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism always welcome!

Nice work, but it is just a shame that you had put the wheel cover on the wrong side. It will be easy tho corect this.

Alain

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Fantastic camo and just the right degree of weathering: I love the brick red details, and I think matching the cannon covers was the right move. Excellent!

Cheers,

Mark

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

What Mark @2996 Victor said, that colour on the cannon covers works really well, as does the whole thing. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Mark and Steve!  The brick red was a trick since I didn't have brick red! :D I think I mentioned it in the WIP that it is Insignia red thinly layered on black.  I do like how the cannon covers look.  Don't know if its right, but no one can prove me wrong! :D 

9 hours ago, IanC said:

A very smart job. And the three together look great!

6 hours ago, Maginot said:

Excellent finish.

6 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Fantastic work! It turns out very nice! Love this trio!

Andy 

5 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Very nicely done indeed! The same applies to the other two :thumbsup:.

Miguel

Thanks guys!  I appreciate it.  I am pretty happy with how these turned out.

7 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Nice work, but it is just a shame that you had put the wheel cover on the wrong side. It will be easy tho corect this.

Alain

Thanks for letting me know... @Bedders pointed it out on the WIP and I didn't see it until after the RFI was posted.  😕  I thought I had it figured out but probably ended up swapping them by accident at the end :facepalm:.  Easy fix though!

• Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 1:42 PM, russ c said:

Really nice desert Spitfire there, great collection too

Thanks Russ!

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

All of them look great, Happy to see the South African kite looks right with the red. The yellow leading edges look good too. Though I think I will wrap the azure up and over myself when I do one. 

Thank you Dennis.  I'm looking forward to seeing the azure leading edges.  I really considered it, but chickened out and went with yellow.  ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Thanks Russ!

Thank you Dennis.  I'm looking forward to seeing the azure leading edges.  I really considered it, but chickened out and went with yellow.  ;) 

The only reason and theory I have is in the B&W photo showing the Spitfires in line from above. For some reason to my Mk.I eyeballs the intake looks to be the same shade of grey as the leading edges. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 8:19 PM, kapam said:

Awesome Vc's!

You have once again done brilliant work. :clap2:

On 3/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, Wulfman said:

Spanking Spits !

Wulfman

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! :D 

• 2 weeks later...