USMC “Apache” M4a2 Iwo Jima 1945. DEAD ON ARRIVAL

41 minutes ago, Michael Taylor said:

water can racks were simple u shaped upper with center down L shape to hull  like on this M4A1 only without the lower "shelf"

spacer.png

If you want I can look and see I may have a spare turret I'm in Ohio

The rack looks simple enough, both left and right sides ? Are you sure on the turret ? 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The rack looks simple enough, both left and right sides ? Are you sure on the turret ? 

On the rear both sides of the wading stack-where the spare track holders are on an M4A3-si it there on the right rear hull

Edited by Michael Taylor
added comment
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Taylor said:

Have this turret if you want it just see what the shipping is when you get it and reimburse me.

https://formationsmodels.com/store/products/f106-low-bustle-75mm-sherman-turret-w-british-fittings/?v=707f3a40153b

I appreciate it though should probably think about it for a day or two as my finances are a bit tight at the moment. Im going yo ask this as well, would it be correct with the early style mantlet ? I’m not doubting you just trying to learn Shermans a bit better. Wouldn't the later M34a1 be more appropriate ? 

How are you standing up to all of this messing about Uncle? It would be driving me nuts!

Fortunately, my philosophy is '"f it looks like a duck, I'll pass it off as a chicken, a pheasant, a beefburger, a date for Saturday night..."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

How are you standing up to all of this messing about Uncle? It would be driving me nuts!

Fortunately, my philosophy is '"f it looks like a duck, I'll pass it off as a chicken, a pheasant, a beefburger, a date for Saturday night..."

Oh Its not too bad at all, Im used to it honestly. Though the “nice” gentlemen in my MiG-21 build thread did start to get a wee bit obsessive I did my best not to lose it. Now Im not the most knowledgable when it comes to Shermans so I defer to those that know more. Maybe I shouldn't have offered up my services to co-host, but I try to help move things along whenever possible. Now if someone comes at me on say Corsairs then its game on and I’m ready to rumble. :viking: For years I competed at shows and understand the mindset that is “I must get every microscopic detail correct.” Thats what caused my 10 year burnout. I still try to get relatively accurate but if its not 100%, then I try to aim for plausible. I appreciate all the help as its all a learning experience. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Just found this photo and I am curious about some things.

AZXwoxL.jpg

One it appears to be an M4a2 with “B” company not sure which battalion ? Two It appears to have small hatch hull, yet twin hatches in the turret. The two standing men are leaning on/near the commanders hatch but the loader’s hatch is flat snd clear next to them ?  That and other things like 5 fuel caps and the shelf on the rear ? Ive posted the photo in reference as well hoping to get some answers ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just found this photo and I am curious about some things.

AZXwoxL.jpg

One it appears to be an M4a2 with “B” company not sure which battalion ? Two It appears to have small hatch hull, yet twin hatches in the turret. The two standing men are leaning on/near the commanders hatch but the loader’s hatch is flat snd clear next to them ?  That and other things like 5 fuel caps and the shelf on the rear ? Ive posted the photo in reference as well hoping to get some answers ? 

Dennis

Dennis, with the bulge in front of the turret splash ring, it looks like an M4a3 to me….

But I could be totally wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have no clue just trying to figure it all out. 

Talking about this piece. 
It’s the cast hull roof hatch section. It’s raised due to the angle of the a3 drivers hatch hinges. 

5ZXraAB.jpg

Just now, Longbow said:

Talking about this piece. 
It’s the cast hull roof hatch section. It’s raised due to the angle of the a3 drivers hatch hinges. 

5ZXraAB.jpg

Yes I just saw that now, but Looking at a3 decks They don't have the 5 filler caps ? Could this be a late model large hatch M4a2 ? 

• Like 1

https://www.theshermantank.com/the-sherman-tank-variant-page-pages-for-each-type-of-sherman-tank/the-sherman-m4a2-medium-tank-major-sherman-model-rarely-used-by-the-us-army/

The Marines operated a lot of small hatch and a fairly large number of large hatch M4A2 tanks until the supply of 75mm armed versions dried up in late 1944. Then they switched over to large hatch M4A3 75w tanks, but there were some A2 holdouts amongst the six battalions.

• Like 2

Well … Im still plodding my way through this, still trying to sort the turret issues out. I did add the two rebar style baskets for Jerry cans out. VkIZea0.jpg

Now since it doesnt look like I will be getting any sheet plastic before the 1st of May. Which rules out any trunking as right now. Im wondering if this ⬇️ would be a plausible as a option ? WLZvmuz.jpg

I still have a good bit of stowage to place on top of the decking yet. I do not believe there was any stowage on the front of the Marine tanks only spare tracks. Though Id be very happy to be told otherwise. All the photo’s of “A” company I’ve seem show side armor on the hull over the 75mm ammunition. Along with right cheek of the turret but nothing extra for the drivers besides extra track links ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

@PlaStix Im looking for a ruling here as I cant give my self special exemption. I have another M4 kit from Tamiya that I built when they were released many many years ago ? Seeing as I’ve gone snd goofed up my turret from this kit could I swap them ? I would need to give it a complete repaint and would attempt to tear it down to rebuild it better using bits from this turret. If you say no I will either have to use this turret. That or find the $ in my budget to pay the shipping for the one @Michael Tayloris offering to me ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@PlaStix Im looking fir a ruling here as I cant give my self special exemption. I have another M4 kit from Tamiya that I built when they were released many many years ago ? Seeing as I’ve gone snd goofed up my turret from this kit could I swap them ? I would need to give it a complete repaint and would attempt to tear it down to rebuild it better using bits from this turret. If you say no I will either have to use this turret. That or find the $ in my budget to pay the shipping for the one @Michael Tayloris offering to me ? 

Dennis

I don't have an issue with it, as I'm sure @PlaStix and others here won't have any issues with it...

Adapt, and overcome, I say ;)

• Like 1

Ok so went digging through my stash of built up Sherman's. I found the old Tamiya M4 turret from my first build. I also found an Verlinden M4 turret that might work ? I say might as its got a box welded onto the high bustle ? First up is the Verlinden turret sitting on my hull. lUqN7uZ.jpg

QeVunUZ.jpg

UPwVrN8.jpg

tsaTvnS.jpg

zsYw1GY.jpg

It would need some repairs as the blade sight and antenna are broken and I may have to remove the spotlight from it ? Next up is the same turret as my kit but from the original 1990’s release same thing posed on my build. 

2qW8rdC.jpg

I would need to remove the commanders hatches and pose them open ? 

E6A7dWB.jpg

Hekapdn.jpg

6U41XLr.jpg

bQFt8u6.jpg

I will let @PlaStix and all of you decide which route you think I should go with the turrets ? This kits which has been modified, the Verlinden, or the older Tamiya turret ? 

Dennis

• Like 8

On 4/6/2022 at 6:51 AM, bigfoot said:

@CorsairfoxfouruncleSorry it’s taken a while to get these for you, ran out of time before going on holiday for a week. These are measurements (mm) from the verlinden set for an M4/M4A1. If you want pictures of the actual pics to go with these, let me know.

8AOmZBn.jpg

wrong mount for M4A2 rear hull :(

Edited by Michael Taylor
spelling
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Taylor said:

wrong mount for M4A2 rear hull :(

I hadn't started anything yet so no harm done. If I could Id mount the twin 55 gallon drum stacks. I have the drums but no idea on the rest of them. I have a good idea about the intake but exhaust still eludes me ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 19/04/2022 at 08:39, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im looking for a ruling here as I cant give my self special exemption. I have another M4 kit from Tamiya that I built when they were released many many years ago ? Seeing as I’ve gone snd goofed up my turret from this kit could I swap them ? I would need to give it a complete repaint and would attempt to tear it down to rebuild it better using bits from this turret.

Hi Dennis. Sorry, I missed this before. Yes of course it's fine to use which ever turret is best. Hope you get it sorted okay.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1