HMAS friar tuck

while i'm waiting for stuff to get here , I started playing with the ships boats .

spacer.png

I really don't know where my head was at , but I didn't see this broken piece , till the deck was glued in and too late , this is going to be fun .

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 3/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, steve5 said:

started work on the billboards , strange name . 

No stranger than any other part of a ship. Like most things nautical, there's a good reason for the name - the 'bill' is the tip of the anchor fluke (which is the pointy, broad bit that digs into the sea floor) at the end of the anchor. A 'bill board' is the sacrificial timber plate that protects the hull timbers from being damaged by the anchor's bill when the anchor is catted (stowed). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks guy's . 

I don't know how I got this to sit in place , but after a few choice words , it listened , I was then able to drill out the excess .

spacer.pngspacer.png

why there is so much excess glue on the bow , I am starting to notice a slight warp on both halves of the hull . i'll scrape it of later .

Edited by steve5
  • Like 2

thanks s-boat55 , you'll love this then , adding deck's to the poop and fors'cle decks , the poop deck I think was called the captains chart room , no idea on the fors'cle one , just seen pictures with it .

started by removing the fancy tops , will add them back on afterwards .

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

dry fitting the fors'cle , head and quarter deck's . mostly painted up .

spacer.png

didn't realise the gold was that bad , bit of touch up work needed ..

spacer.png

added some more hatches on the quarter deck .

spacer.png

• Like 3

well it's together , still lots to do , but I can see some progress . i'm also waiting on some decorations from england , CMB .

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 3

Cracking work there Steve just been catching up on a couple of pages very interesting what you are doing with this.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

thankyou beefy ,hope all is well at your end .

the balconies are starting to take shape .

spacer.png

also some more work on the main deck and the front upper deck , [still don't know what this deck was called , any ideas ? ]

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:
On 4/18/2022 at 5:42 AM, steve5 said:

the front upper deck , [still don't know what this deck was called , any ideas ? ]

The forecastle (fo'c'sle)?

Gidday, sorry, I missed the question earlier. AFAIK the fo'c'sle deck would be the deck under that which you've added. Because it's joined to the quarterdeck by wide gangways the two appear to be a single deck but this is not the case. The upper deck is the highest full deck of guns with 12 pounders. Below that was the middle deck with 24 pounders, the gun deck with 32 pounders and then the orlop deck. What your added deck would be called I've no idea, sorry. Back in the days when there were definite 'castles' at each end of the ship maybe there was a name for your added deck.

And as an aside, I thought your model here predates the introduction of the carronade. Of course, there's no reason why your ship here wasn't the trial ship for the carronade prototype. 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

The more I look at this one of yours the more I think you have a natural way and talent with this age/type of vessel, it all just looks 'right' not the best way to put it I'm sure but can't quite think of another way to word it, 

• Like 2

cheers guy's . 

jeff , I've done a bit of research , and I found a line in wiki , that say's it might be a weather deck , open to the elements , but sheltering the deck below .!!

and your right about the carronades , They didn't come into being till the late 1770's , I just like the look of them .

s-boat55 , thankyou , but i can't take all the credit for it , a bloke , french , I think who did the victory 1737 , 1/84 , in wood , he did an incredible job of it . I have some photos of it , and I am just trying to get some sort of resemblance to his .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve5 said:

it might be a weather deck , open to the elements , but sheltering the deck below

Gidday Steve, that makes sense and would certainly help to avoid any confusion. Are you going to add another deck at the stern, over the poop deck? (Where did they get that name? 😯)

What you've done looks very good, and yeah, if you like the carronade (the smasher) then go for it. 👍 At close range it was a devastating weapon.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1