HMAS friar tuck

finally got all the stays and backstays on .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

then the old klutz in me had to appear ,  swung the model around , hit my hand off came the rudder , shheeezzz .

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, steve5 said:

thanks guys for the nice words , the rigging was made a lot easier by a book i bought on kindle . rigging period ship models by lennarth peterssen . just page after page of full size drawings .

http://www.amazon.com.au/Rigging-Period-Ships-Models-Step-ebook/dp/B00KC3LJQE

Thats encouraging. I have that book, if not your skills and expertise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Fighting sails! Apparently they would furl the lower sails weather permitting, when going into action to improve visibility and reduce the number of taught ropes exposed to damage. 

Gidday, as I understand it the lower sails (the courses) were vulnerable to catching fire from flaming wads from the guns while the upper sails such as the topgallants would place a lot of strain on the masts and remaining rigging if some of the rigging were shot away (as Bertie suggests above) or the masts damaged. Another consideration is the available crew to work the sails due to the large numbers required to man the guns. Quite often I believe they fought under topsails alone. Or so I've read, and I stress that I'm no expert. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, as I understand it the lower sails (the courses) were vulnerable to catching fire from flaming wads from the guns while the upper sails such as the topgallants would place a lot of strain on the masts and remaining rigging if some of the rigging were shot away (as Bertie suggests above) or the masts damaged. Another consideration is the available crew to work the sails due to the large numbers required to man the guns. Quite often I believe they fought under topsails alone. Or so I've read, and I stress that I'm no expert. Regards, Jeff.

That’s a fuller explanation than mine. Thanks Jeff

• Like 2

I did not know that guy's , I can't change the topmast sails , so i'll have to do the top gallant sails in full glory now , not a lot up there to hide anyway . thanks for the information .

Edited by steve5
  • Like 1

Gidday Steve, I'd imagine topgallants would be fine while approaching an enemy under light winds. For example, while I don't know the details (a long time since I've read a book on it) HMS Victory took hours to come up to the French/Spanish line at Trafalgar. The last stages she was under fire while unable to reply herself. So I imagine any ship in that situation would want to close the range asap before clewing up the upper sails and engaging. As Nelson was quoted - "Always go straight at 'em". HTH.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I have learned today that another reason for hoisting sails high up the masts was to steady the roll of the ship in order to improve gunnery accuracy, and in rough seas to enable the use of the lower gun deck which might otherwise flood. 

Gidday, I didn't know of that one but yeah the lower gun decks could flood in heavy weather.

I think yardarm to yardarm gunnery didn't need to be accurate, you could hardly miss. Plus you often couldn't see your enemy because of the gun smoke. Regards, Jeff.

49 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

yardarm to yardarm gunnery

You had to get that close first. Many actions took place over much longer ranges.

Iwa reading today about a single ship action in a storm  The Indefatigable (38) defeated the Droits de l'Homme (74) on 13-14 January 1797 because the French ship lost its topmasts and began to roll so heavily that it had to close its lower gun ports, reducing its firepower. 

• Thanks 1