HMAS friar tuck

• 2 weeks later...

thankyou david ,

sorry i haven't posted much lately , but life just got in the way of my modeling , and I had to wait for some 4mm deadeyes to arrive from england .

anyway I'm back on it here the top mast shrouds are started the burton pendants are on, now for the futtock shrouds .

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Great work there Steve mind you you have to be very careful with some of these sailing terminologies'

good job I read it twice (futtock shrouds).  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

don't know what you mean beefy , mate , 😛

well all the shrouds are finally done, the lower futtock shrouds , cough ! , and the top mast burton pendants .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:16 AM, S-boat 55 said:

I've not checked in with this build in a little while, the rigging really is impressive, must be a patience tester at times though 

every now and then I do have to take a break .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finally got the fore main sail on . couldn't believe , what I did . had the sail almost on , when I realised that I had sewn the sail on the yard wrong . the top pic shows it well . just off of centre on the right hand side , the two clue blocks are on one side on the left , the other side , had to take the whole $%$#$ thing off and adjust it . it's only on loosely at the moment ,still playing with it .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 7/20/2022 at 4:10 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Out of curiosity are you using any particular tools to let you attach the rigging without knocking what you've already got in place? Access must become an issue the further you go surely?

it does sboat55, but I have a bit of experience now , and doing things in the right order helps , and a bit of patience too . these are the tools I use , mainly the smaller ones , but if I have to use two hands , the bigger ones come into it .

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 3

had a good day today , got a bit more work done , the fore main sail is attached and all the associated lines are held down , I just have to make a lot of hanks .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

This is looking so good!

I have a little cloud of square rigging on my horizon. It’s a way off yet but will be here before I’m ready, whatever I do.  Looking at your work is both exciting and worrying.😀😳

I was going to ask your advice but I just discovered that I don’t know what questions to ask yet 😊

One thing though, how do you equalise the tension on the crow’s feet lines? Can it really be as difficult as I imagine?

these one's worked out pretty easy bertie , just don't try and rush it . I just started in the centre and slowly worked my way out , it is only one line, it should sort itself out , if you are having problems . after each line run a very small smear of CA glue over it , then do your next line .

Edited by steve5
  • Thanks 1

The sails look good. Is that Silkspan? 

I’m m also appreciating the details of your rigging as I acquire more book learning on the subject. I note the shroud to deadeye seizings - complicated and tiny working. Pure class! 

• Like 1