HMAS friar tuck

I'm back from my holiday , refreshed and ready to go . this is going to be a sort of a strange build , as there is only a few 1/100 galleon kits going around , and I have built the victory twice before , I am going to have some fun here , and do an imaginary ship of the line from the early 18th century , I hope I don't upset anybody doing this , it's just for my own entertainment . I was going to try and do the victory from 1737 , but the work involved in changing the hull alone was just too much . this is just going to be what I would like the ship to look like . 

first order of business get rid of the copper plating as it wasn't around then  .

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 3

Gidday Steve, it'll be interesting seeing what you come up with here. I quite like naval what-ifs myself. Of course with the dates you've thrown the history books out the window - quite acceptable in Whiffland. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

thanks guys , I'm really not sure of what is going to happen myself yet , I just know it's not going to be the victory .

anyway , next I have thickened the gun ports , bottom deck 2.5mm , middle deck 2mm , maindeck 1mm .

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

haven't done a great deal of late , removed the eyebrows , some of the top stuff off of the quarter deck sides , opened the entrance's and widened the top wale , to match the bottom one .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 3/20/2022 at 4:27 AM, steve5 said:

next I have thickened the gun ports , bottom deck 2.5mm , middle deck 2mm , maindeck 1mm

Gidday Steve, nice idea to give the hull the appearance of its thick timbers. I have a booklet of plans for HMS Victory as at 1805, and it refers to the three decks as (working upwards) the gun deck, middle deck and upper deck. Plus of course the quarter deck and foc'sle deck also had guns on them. Below the gun deck was the orlop deck.

Will you be extending the wooden steps on the hull underneath the entrance too?     Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to arnold , I'm trying to set mine in the early 18th century , I didn't think they had them yet ? 

this will do for the cannons for now , I gave the one's in the foreground , a white dry brush to try and simulate salt , what do you guy's think .

spacer.png

started work on the billboards , strange name . 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Gidday Steve, you could very well be correct. My drawings depict them in 1805 and I just assumed they were an original fitting. If you could get some photos of her working up in 1737 that would be quite conclusive. 😁

You've done a good job with the guns but it must have been tedious, rather like doing 40mm and 20mm on USS Missouri. Did she carry the original cannons throughout her life? AFAIK in 1805 she carried 12, 24 and 32 pound cannons and two 68 pound carronades. I don't think carronades were invented until well after 1737. Looking forward to seeing them shipped aboard.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I sort of have to use the hull and cannons provided jeff , it just would have been toooo much work to shorten and narrow the hull , beyond my abilities I'm afraid . this really is just going to my version of it , a what if really . this victory was sunk in a storm some where in the 1740's I believe , I think you are right about the carronades , they didn't arrive till about 1780 , I think they use to have 6 pounders . 

got a bit of work done today on the officers entry .

spacer.pngspacer.png

and primed up

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ah, it's becoming clear to me. I thought this was Nelson's Victory you were modeling as at an earlier date. I didn't realize it was an earlier ship. And that balustrading around the entry port all make sense to me now, regarding the steps. My apologies for my ignorance. 🙂 I think that entry port is a work of art in itself.

As a whiff you wouldn't need to shorten or narrow the hull would you, as whiffs are never wrong. That's the beauty of them. 😉 Carry on Sir and I'll sit back and enjoy seeing her come together.

Regards, Jeff.

thanks jeff , still not sure what is to come , so hopefully it;s worth watching . 

got a little painting done , it look's a bit gaudy , but there is so much stuff to go on the hull yet , it should tone it down a bit , as the build goes on  .

spacer.png

• Like 3

the lower deck has gone in .

spacer.png

the ropes for the gun ports are in . [ note to self , do this before you glue the hull halves together next time ]

spacer.png

I need some help guy's , anyone know what these lines are for , and where they go please .

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

Gidday Steve, in some drawings they appear to go to the yard-arms (ends of the yards) so I'm wondering if they are used to haul the yards around to catch the wind. I stress here that I'm no expert and this is guess work on my part. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Gidday Steve,

If my comparison with Nepean-Longridge's "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" is correct, the lines represent the fore and main course sheets, although, for the life of me, I cannot figure why they have been illustrated without the braces also being drawn in.

Rod

• Like 1

thankyou gentlemen , I have alan mcgowans book , the only thing not in there , is the belaying points . there are some really nice drawings by john mckay , in there of the rigging , just no tie down points .

bertie , it is the heller 1/100 kit , those are the english instructions , I am mainly using the imai instructions , they are easier to follow , but are in japanese .

Hi again Steve,

I hope the following is not too long: Nepean-Longridge states that the foresheets are 7-in cabled rope, standing part seized to a thimble in an eyebolt in the ship's side just above and to the fore side of the ninth middle deck port.  It then reeves through the 24in block at the clew of the sail comes back and reeves through the lower of two sheaves let into the ship's side on the upper deck on the after side of the seventh upper deck port.  The sheet is then carried forward and belays on the large staghorn below the gangway between the sixth and seventh upper deck guns."

Then Main Sheet: " The standing part is made fast to an eyebolt in the side below the spider for the sheet block.  It reeves through the 24in single block at the clew of the sail, then through the sheet block in the spider on the side, through the lead-lined hole in the quarterdeck bulwark and belays to the staghorn inside the bulwarks".

I haven't figured out how to attach a photo here yet.

I hope this is more help,

Best of luck,

Rod 

thanks for that rod , I'm still up in the air about the rigging , still trying to find the main differences between the 1730's and nelsons time . probably end up going with what I sort of know , nelsons time .

as for posting photo's , you need to go through a hosting site , I use postimage , if you do use this site use the direct link option . all the best .

steve