MiG 21F-13, KoeLtue/IlmavV Ilmavoimat

Romeo Alpha Yankee

I started this one last weekend and have managed 3 short sessions so far on it.

51945867170_6f9a956967_b.jpg

51945335858_fe7db00a0d_b.jpg

I am doing this version from the kit decals.

51944277887_becf6fe57d_b.jpg

It goes together quite quickly and is nicely detailed.

51945573034_350084af54_b.jpg

51945867145_df4a55609a_b.jpg

The wing fuselage area needs a little putty.

51945867095_578f29ef98_b.jpg

51945335818_fd565e6cf1_b.jpg

Which was sorted with some PPP.

51945259361_a3d542752f_b.jpg

Gear legs going on.

51945259336_5684ec34e9_b.jpg

Cockpit ready to be buttoned up.

51945259311_f716bbb167_b.jpg

I noticed it is a tail sitter at the moment so before the nosecone goes on I will add some weight in the small amount of space available.

• Like 12

Welcome to the GB Ray and with a very nice kit too, the Revell F-13 is very nicely detailed for 1/72 scale and comes with a really nice decal sheet too.

You have done a very good job on the build of her and by the looks of things will be starting the painting soon.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Nice going Ray - the kit has gone together quickly! Great choice of scheme too, but not that surprising! I'm still waiting for Eduard to release a 'bis' variant so that I can do a Finnish one - they look great in their green and black (?) camouflage.

Anyway, you've obviously considered the need for noseweight - my guess is that you'll be able to squeeze what you need in the front there somewhere (you're right, it's not big!) and perhaps you can hollow out the radar bullet to accept a smidgen more weight?

On 3/24/2022 at 10:56 AM, Andrew said:

Nice going Ray - the kit has gone together quickly! Great choice of scheme too, but not that surprising! I'm still waiting for Eduard to release a 'bis' variant so that I can do a Finnish one - they look great in their green and black (?) camouflage.

Anyway, you've obviously considered the need for noseweight - my guess is that you'll be able to squeeze what you need in the front there somewhere (you're right, it's not big!) and perhaps you can hollow out the radar bullet to accept a smidgen more weight?

Thanks Andrew, just back forma week in Melbourne and getting back to this one.

There is a small void in behind the nosecone in front of the inst panel that has enough space for some weight.

I'd also like tot do the Bis, I have had the Fujimi kit a couple of times in the collection and have off loaded it. Next one I find I will grab and build.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 11:38 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I'd also like tot do the Bis, I have had the Fujimi kit a couple of times in the collection and have off loaded it. Next one I find I will grab and build.

I’d go with a Zvezda over the Fujimi, Ray. The latter was designed way before the detail of these MiGs was known. The Zvezda, while not perfect, will give you Bis that is closer to the real thing. 

Martin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I've been dragging the chain on this one, I still need to mask the canopy. Might do that today. I have been Covid affected for the past two weeks and not motivated to do much.

Very sorry to hear that you have been affected by Covid Ray, I completely understand how it saps your motivation for doing anything. Hopefully getting your canopy masked will help you gain the motivation to keep going with your build.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Always good to see the Mojo come back isn't it ? 

Yes indeed

On 5/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, modelling minion said:

Good to see the build continuing with your restored mojo Ray.

🇺🇦

Some paint on now, the wheels need painting which is the part I dislike the most!

• Like 2

Looking good Ray.

20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Some paint on now, the wheels need painting which is the part I dislike the most!

They're only small, quick lick of paint and they're done! ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

That other poor Jyrki is flying on instruments, but the build looks very very nice! Have you seen this interview, btw? V-P

Very interesting! thanks V-P

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looking good Ray, and looks like she will meet the deadline too.👍

🇺🇦

I hope so, though after watching V-P's video it might go back into the paint shop for some panel shading!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I hope so, though after watching V-P's video it might go back into the paint shop for some panel shading!

Yes, the F-model has indeed some nice differences in panel shades, like the most forward ring around the nose and the access panel, or whatever glovebox it is, slightly behind it.

Well I went and did some more spraying, looks pretty much the same I suppose

52074959525_b8e8ff0f0f_b.jpg

Until you take the masking off (no more instrument flying V-P :D )

52074476433_3c46a4dc83_b.jpg

52074476403_81d4a5f304_b.jpg

And the decals are on, some glamour shots when the setting solution dries and a clear coat applied

52074476388_86c4939025_b.jpg

• Like 5