1:8 Scale Le Rhone 9C

Twobad

Last year I produced a 3D model of a Le Rhone 9C engine, designed to be printed at 1:8 scale. It's part of a long term project to build a 1:8 Sopwith Pup to go with my Hasegawa Museum Series Sopwith Camel model.

Over the last few days I've been trying to 3D print the cylinders on my Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K.

I knew I was pushing my luck when I modelled the design, particularly with the cylinders. The cooling fins are only 0.35mm thick at the edges, and I knew they wouldn't be the easiest thing to print successfully. I started with auto-supports in Chitubox, plus additions of my own, but it quickly became obvious that something a little more bespoke was required. Hence, I resorted to my own support strategy designed in CAD.  After 7 iterations I think I might be there.

I just need to do the other 8 now...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm still impressed with the detail of the printer. The grid is 1cm pitch.

spacer.png

p1070502.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have been printing finned cylinders for a J.A.P. V-twin and came across the same problem with warped fins (Mars 2Pro/Chitubox). I found that mounting the cylinder dead horizontal, with every fin supported, came out OK. My fins are the same thickness as yours, but I only have 13 of them to get straight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

I have been printing finned cylinders for a J.A.P. V-twin and came across the same problem with warped fins (Mars 2Pro/Chitubox). I found that mounting the cylinder dead horizontal, with every fin supported, came out OK. My fins are the same thickness as yours, but I only have 13 of them to get straight.

I'll give that a go. It'll make clean up much easier.

19 hours ago, Twobad said:

I'll give that a go. It'll make clean up much easier.

Well I always thought that nothing happened unless there's a picture, so I printed a couple more and took one. Excuse the white bits, they are from the washer and will be removed....

IMG_3676

• Like 1