Operation Husky, 1943, Takom M31, 1/35th scale...

19 hours ago, SoftScience said:

you can do it!! 

And I must.  I am going to Leeds on June 8th for a long weekend so I have a few that need wrapping up before then.  Back on the 16th and it always takes a coupe of days to back into the swing of things.  

• 2 weeks later...

It is May 28th.  I depart for Leeds on the morning of June 8th, Athens to Manchester direct.  That gives me 11 days to complete this kit and post it in the gallery.  I think I can do it.  Lots of fiddly bits.

Did this...

52105068696_3c7c402c62_z_d.jpg

I am leaving all the tools that are attached until the end,  I want to paint and assemble them separately.  

52105109818_aa10c80ff9_z_d.jpg

This...

52104046082_3b601d5eae_z_d.jpg

That...there are some PE pieces that need to go on. I'll do that tonight.

52104046122_97defa2902_z_d.jpg

And here it is, before all the above are attached.  I want the glue to set up.  Going out to meet friends for parea. 😄

52105068676_2d06147fc2_z_d.jpg

Once I attach all the bins and the tow bits on the back end, I'll start the turret and the winch/hoist assembly.  Fingers crossed gents (and ladies)!

--John

• Like 6

Progress...turret, the beginning of the crane/winch/hoist system...very complex stuff.  Be patient.

52108918996_a0a364772f_z_d.jpg

The turret was pretty easy.  Be warned that the cannon fits one way better than the other.  It points slightly down and is molded to fit the turret that way.  So don't drill the hole perpendicular to the turret.

52108949673_ed527ae819_z_d.jpg

While building the crane/hoist, study the plans carefully.  There are persnickety bits.  It's really a model unto itself.  Lovely detail.

52108949703_5288304a32_z_d.jpg

52108919011_89ed3ccb64_z_d.jpg

I left it at that for the night.  So many pieces already and I wanted the glue to be secure and set before I proceeded.

52108919021_e22e86bbb6_z_d.jpg

I am thinking ahead to painting, because I'm close to that stage.  I might try to paint some of this before I attach it to the turret.  I have not decided yet.  And another thing...I will be using Tamiya paints for this build.  Should I prime the kit first?  Tamiya  paints seem to stick better than Vallejo Air.  Please advise...

--John

• Like 7

Hi John. Looks like you are making excellent progress and I do hope you get chance to finish it - it is looking superb already! I'm afraid I can't help with advice for the Tamiya paints. Might it be worth checking in the painting section of Britmodeller?

Kind regards,

Stix

36 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Looks like you are making excellent progress and I do hope you get chance to finish it - it is looking superb already! I'm afraid I can't help with advice for the Tamiya paints. Might it be worth checking in the painting section of Britmodeller?

Sounds like a plan.  I’ll do that thanks!

• Like 1

I use Aqueous / Acrylic Tamiya and Gunze paints almost exclusively. I tend to prime with a laquer based primer always, but it probably isn't totally necessary. 

I used to thin both with Tamiya acrylic thinner but nowadays for large areas like the overall colour I will thin them with laquer thinner. If you're confident of your finish there's probably less need for primer when using laquer thinner but I like priming first as it works for me!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

I used to thin both with Tamiya acrylic thinner but nowadays for large areas like the overall colour I will thin them with laquer thinner. If you're confident of your finish

Exactly what I do, I will use X-20A occasionally but prefer the Tamiya yellow cap lacquer. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:44 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Exactly what I do

Thanks Dennis.  I'm not using lacquer but the regular thinner seems to be alright.  I'll prime it first.

The bad news is that I am so busy right now (summer work) that the bench has been neglected.  I'm pretty sure I won't finish this on time, nor some of the others.  I will finish slowly and others might end up on the KUTA shelf.  We'll see.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John. That's a shame because it's going to eventually be a stunning model. I will watch out for it in future.

Kind regards, 

Stix

2 days left.  I might almost finish this.  

I finished assembling the hoist. Thus was difficult.  Many small parts and many parts that didn't require cement.  I will add the cable later.  Yes, I know it will be difficult but the supplied copper wire is too large and unwieldy.  I will use thinner string, stiffened with paint, etc...

I will have the hoist pointing towards the rear, I think.  I haven't decided.  

52152352301_30638a1990_k_d.jpg

52152595379_72d56ee07f_k_d.jpg

The wire...

52152362173_a00d5c1129_k_d.jpg

Onwards...I think I might have to paint this soon.  And all the little bits not already onboard.  Tracks.  Egads...

--John

• Like 8

Hi John. That is a shame. Please let me know if you want me to move your thread to the main AFV WIP section.

Thank you for taking part in this GB. Your finished build would have made an excellent addition to the Gallery.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 months later...

24 hours to make sure the Vallejo Primer really sticks.  

52369428480_58dae51f3e_h_d.jpg

I gave the track links some AK Black as a base.  I'll use the hairy brush to bring out any steel effects.  

52369242263_0d79f6feb7_c_d.jpg

The tools were given a spray of Olive Drab ad a base 'primer' coat.  I'll pick out individual tones, colours and wear and tear with a hairy brush.

These will be that final pieces to be added to the kit.

52369007791_26cfb5849a_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

First round of paint is on.  I used the rattle can Olive Drab from Humbrol for this.  Don't worry...there will be more paint.  This is just a base.

52380943551_5783b4192b_c_d.jpg

I am thinking of Portland Stone for the tan.  I'll also use the Vallejo US Olive Drab for other paint areas, touch ups, etc...

52381363980_f302185975_c_d.jpg

I found this string at a local craft shop.  It's better than the supplied copper wire.  More flexible, thinner.  This will matter when I have to thread it through the various pulleys on the crane.  I've got plenty of it.

52381254549_3353edd635_c_d.jpg

I have also given then tracks another round of paint.  This time dry brushed 'steel'.  This will probably be the last of the paint on these until I begin the weathering process once they are on the vehicle.  I know it looks a bit stark right now, but some rust, dirt and grime will tone it all down.

52380943561_4a8774db6d_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

After thinking about the tracks, and looking at tracks online, I think these tracks are rubber booted, so to speak.  So I gave them some tire black.  

While the paint was out I gave the bogies some of the same...

52386661778_35afab2a09_c_d.jpg

The tools are all ready to go.  Most likely they'll come last, after the decals and the matt varnish.  In reality, fresh from the factory, they would have been 

painted Olive Drab too.  But these are used tools, so...

52386424281_9794c8bcac_c_d.jpg

And, finally the camo.  It took me some time and a few over-sprays to get it right.  I finally mixed the Portland Stone with some Khaki to grey that down a bit.  I also went back with the Vallejo Olive Drab and cleaned up some edges.  What I have to do now is go around with a hairy brush and take care of the exhaust pipes, the moving parts on the deck that might be worn of paint, odds and ends.  Touch-ups I could get with the airbrush.  And I have to 'thread the needle', so to speak...get the cable onto the hoist.  I have some neat AK weathering pencils I think I'll try to use...It's not exactly like the boxtops or the profile, but I like it.

52385495367_3549e07af2_k_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3