A M4 with a M1, together they are called 'APACHE'

Ready to start with some Mr surfacer1500 black primer, I thought I would take a photo of it before splashing some paint about.  I've added the PE sand shield attachment strips with a bit missing as per the photo of Apache, from the stash I've added a RB brass MG barrel.  The tracks have been assembled and after checking references, I'm using a pair of open idlers that are spare from a Tasca kit.

IMG_1854

As usual, thanks for looking and any questions or comments are most welcome.  (Even from Lee) :winkgrin:

Edited by Retired Bob
wrong word
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Todays update after splashing some black primer about.

IMG_1857

I haven't covered the whole of the upper hull and turret because there are still some parts to attach, I mainly wanted to get the dozer blade and PE parts primed, I like to paint areas as I go along.

Next job will be to start painting the suspension then applying some mud, it means less handling when it's in one piece with all the little fiddly bits getting knocked off.

As always, any questions or comments are welcome, especially from Lee. :nod:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You've done a great job with those magnificent rubber band tracks Bob....

Thanks Darryl, every time I make a set of track links for a Sherman I think 'never again' but then I look at the stash and I know that it's going to happen lots more. :wtf:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update on some work that I've managed to do on Apache, I tried several brands of olive drab paint, Tamiya was too dark, Lifecolor had more lumps in it than a bag of sugar cubes so I tried some Vallejo air with some extra thinner in it, it makes a good base colour to work from.  The blade has been painted up using the only photo of Apache that I have, there is a large steel section where the paint has been worn away and lumps of 'mud' have been added, it's a work in progress as they say.  Anyway here's the photo:

IMG_1860

Most of the fiddly bits, the brush guards over the lights and the horn have been fitted so now it's time to get the detail painting done and start the weathering.

Any comments or questions are always welcome.

• Like 14

On 19/04/2022 at 19:38, Retired Bob said:

An update on some work that I've managed to do on Apache, I tried several brands of olive drab paint, Tamiya was too dark, Lifecolor had more lumps in it than a bag of sugar cubes so I tried some Vallejo air with some extra thinner in it, it makes a good base colour to work from.  The blade has been painted up using the only photo of Apache that I have, there is a large steel section where the paint has been worn away and lumps of 'mud' have been added, it's a work in progress

Any comments or questions are always welcome.

Nice to see you getting the proverbial finger out on this one Bob.:winkgrin:

The build up of mud on the blade looks good too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice to see you getting the proverbial finger out on this one Bob.:winkgrin:

I know he’s posted up a few photos, but has Bob, Really, actually, started ? 

🤔

😜

• Haha 2

On 23/04/2022 at 20:52, Jasper dog said:

I found some old bottles of 'Polly S' weathering paints, must be over 40 years old, the bottle of 'mud' had turned nice and thick and made excellent mud! :nod:

On 23/04/2022 at 21:57, Longbow said:

I know he’s posted up a few photos, but has Bob, Really, actually, started ? 

You've got me, it's all CGI, I've just been doing the DiY and gardening.  :rofl: (My tiled floor looks great)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You say the tiled floor looks great but I've looked and can't find the WIP for it....

Not too keen on doing the grouting, it's like doing zimmerit the old fashioned way with filler.  🙄

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Now I've caught up you can carry on with updates.... either here or out the front when I'm watching the wife gardening. 😆

Good to see you back on site Roger, hope you did not get any grief for me disrupting your gardening.  :whip:

I put my Vulcan to one side and got the tracks fitted to 'Apache' today, it's always a good feeling when that hurdle has been overcome.

First I painted all the road wheel tyres (that's tires for Lee and Dennis) and the return rollers with a dark grey/ blue paint (Vallejo 71054)  I know that they are mostly going to get covered by mud and any other weathering but It's what I do.  I glued the tracks onto the wheels and skids, I'm tired of the workable tracks coming apart when transporting them to club meetings or shows, these tracks are staying put!  The photo shows some bottles of glue weighting down the hull making sure the running gear and track is straight along the lower run and some sponge holding the track tight against the suspension skids and rollers as the glue dries.

IMG_1865

It can dry overnight and I'll start detail painting it tomorrow.  :winkgrin:  Any comments or questions are always welcome.

• Like 11

On 26/04/2022 at 21:29, Retired Bob said:

I put my Vulcan to one side and got the tracks fitted to 'Apache' today, it's always a good feeling when that hurdle has been overcome.

Never realised putting a Vulcan aside was so arduous..

Who needs a fancy 3d printed glue bottle holder when a Sherman lower hull works just as well!

• Haha 1

Never realised putting a Vulcan aside was so arduous..

I'm trying to finish a Blue Steel armed white Vulcan by mid-May for a display at my model club, very arduous, Airfix kit and lots of white paint.  :wtf:

Who needs a fancy 3d printed glue bottle holder when a Sherman lower hull works just as well!

Tracks are all dry now so glue bottles removed.  Should have the upper hull on today now that I've added the hatch periscopes and counter-balance springs from some fine wire.

Unlike Lee I do dry brushing, even with acrylics.  :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

On 29/04/2022 at 09:45, Retired Bob said:

I'm trying to finish a Blue Steel armed white Vulcan by mid-May for a display at my model club, very arduous, Airfix kit and lots of white paint.  :wtf:

Surely a squirt of aerosol white and it's done...:whistle:

On 29/04/2022 at 09:45, Retired Bob said:

Unlike Lee I do dry brushing, even with acrylics.  :winkgrin:

I see no problem with dry brushing,  what are they like eh, the youf of today!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Surely a squirt of aerosol white and it's done...:whistle:

That's the plan, however getting to the painting stage has taken longer than I anticipated, you wouldn't believe how much filling and sanding it's taken.  :facepalm:

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I see no problem with dry brushing,  what are they like eh, the youf of today!

Exactly, Lee say's dry brushing is old school, well since I left school in 1971 I think that that qualifies me to still do it.  :nod:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That's the plan, however getting to the painting stage has taken longer than I anticipated, you wouldn't believe how much filling and sanding it's taken.  :facepalm:

Exactly, Lee say's dry brushing is old school, well since I left school in 1971 I think that that qualifies me to still do it.  :nod:

Dry brushing ??!!

What are you looking for ??

Subtlety ?? 

Stick it where it needs to be !! Daub, if you must !!

Wield it with Power, I say !!

Never mind this, Olde Schoole, Dry Brushing !!

😎

• Haha 2