I Love Kit 1/35 Atomic Annie - IT'S BIG

This is a kit it almost didn't notice being released but was too fascinated to ignore, and then subsequently I bumped it past a number of other kits in my stash because I couldn't resist the temptation to build something so nuts. I'd be similarly inclined towards the 1/35 Dora railway gun, if it didn't have such a monstrous price tag. But I digress, there's a brief build log for this one here. Ultimately it went together really easily, one of the best "Trumpeter" kits I've built over the years. I went for an "in-service, but been sitting around a lot" look, so some rust pigments to "age" it and some mud as if it's just driven across a field somewhere, but nothing too heavy on that side of things. I'm new to the weathering game (there's a few links in my profile for some recent efforts) and I'm pretty happy with the progress, it really takes the end results to another level. Well, let's not waste anymore time, enjoy :) 

knzHnM0CbaiZJPfRCiZtjyZIwvaQ6d9J8J0fvM2H

a-eYbsQCGawdDQH3Df1Y9yWv-hr1O0pxEwGqibTe

rRAeVpAccbvIYVshGQlfbhNxGo0iH6FlDEQnzmWJ

tTGBwHP6UYp2aeEZnywB5AnOhfRTddX89n7Tu2y6

ZeF__Q0ZOLcOKFNKRJGCD6tZP1tIzYXZpTsAhis-

ipQxgiJmNPEc41BVsSf324Lh5VQuOPhKBwmYYxgF

AsQ-dwTVzPC8FZLO8-GVTKy1Owp_6sX5pn_Xp6nM

8vEKP50tLaYn_f-Izw0rvQvCHY4E1cGdefJWjfHk

nZta1nWcE7b9MicbmMXciyu-7Qrkbu3HV8ZIxvAN

-MHfxc_CwiO215SNDCd_LQq8yHKAYWHDaKcsXQFi

BjAvmJhGLEqmj56p5qsLxipk13VcBlN-YQ-ItZCQ

dhcym8j8KcD1KGKGj53hRbU9xYeCtpd8viNXHRJV

Not the easiest thing to photograph considering the length of the thing (70+ cm), hope the photos do it justice

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

That is amazing.  I wonder where you could display it; you must have more available horizontal surfaces in your house than I do.  I love the weathering, too.  It looks aged, but still cared for and kept in working order.  Excellent job all round!

Erik.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dov said:

Just to ask: Is this a real model? What was this canon called? Prototype or in use? Where was it used?

Happy modelling 

Yep it was real, the M65 Atomic cannon capable of firing a nuclear shell.....20 units built of which I think 7 survive? Was fielded in Germany, Korea and I think Okinawa between 1955 and 1963....

Edited by Whitewolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I want one but I'd have to get two for the firing and transport options ...

There's a nice book about them by Tankograd Press. Apparently driving those through small German villages was hell on the villages, or at least the buildings on the corners, and the drivers. 

And a nice movie on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9F-l_3eLcE&t=107s

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, fittedkitchens said:

That's turned out really well, and the size of the beastie! Is it possible to disassemble it once built and remove the gun from the vehicles?

Hi, yes the gun carriage and tractors separate (and the gun is moveable) so it can be made a little more compact and transportable 😉

3 hours ago, Yg Models said:

it must be so big.

could be a refernce for my 1/72 K5(E)😁

Yes there's a lot of similarity in the gun carriages. I'd like to do a railway gun, the maniac in me would love to do the Dora, but I really really don't have the space (or budget) for that in the same scale ☹️

On 6/2/2022 at 1:55 PM, MRMRL said:

would love to do the Dora, but I really really don't have the space (or budget) for that in the same scale

then you should join me enjoy 1/72 AFV, at least railway guns😘

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Yg Models said:

then you should join me enjoy 1/72 AFV, at least railway guns😘

I like the idea of the miniature AFVs, but really shouldn't introduce yet another scale of models to my stash 😉