RAAF Mitchells??

Mycapt65

I was looking for interesting B-25G decals when these caught my eye. I have plenty of B-25J kits and this would be a cool switch for me if the story is interesting. Does anyone know anything about these markings. Theater? Combat? Colors? Strafer mods?
Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAAF-Decals-B-25J-Mitchells-Mini-Set-1-48-Scale-N48020c-/294870500780?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

G'day Mycapt65,

B-25s were operated by 2 Squadron from the Northern Territory over the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) from mid 1944 onwards.

Initially they used aircraft handed over from a joint RAAF/Dutch unit (18 Netherlands East Indies Squadron) where the Dutch provided the aircraft and most aircrew while RAAF provided majority of ground crew and had overall operational control. Most of the B-25s were D models with the -20 (I think) mod with tail and waist gun postions and forward firing cheek guns added. But there were B-25J models as well. For a complete run down refer to the link below. 

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a47.htm

• Like 3

There were two B-25G's that the RAF tested, but they never were used operationally. I recall seeing a photo of one of the two, but I don't recall where. I think both were in OD/neutral grey, so not very colorful or out of the ordinary. I would think they would have been pretty good U-boat/ship killers, but the Beaufighter TF10's and Mosquito XVIII's were already available and more than up to the task. Later on,  the short nose and cannon was replaced by a standard plexiglass bomber nose and served into the 50's- see the second link below. I'm pretty sure we had some discussion on FR209 with photos of it in its final configuration a while back, and you could look for it, if you're interested. Wish I had better references on RAF/RAAF Mitchells, but perhaps @tonyot is your man?

Mike

From the Joe Baugher website:

Two B-25Gs (FR208 and FR209) were supplied to the Royal Air Force for evaluation purposes. However, they never reached operational service.

From the Key aero forum:

FR209 is particularly interesting as it actually started life (and it's RAF Service) as a big-gun B-25G, with the short nose, and at some time in it's life had the nose from a bomber Mitchell fitted on the front of it.

Was at one point the personal transport of AVM Sir Roderick Hill

Scroll down to see two photos of FR209 in her B-25G configuration: (It's a very interesting article!)

http://www.bamf.be/Dispersals/Dispersals_Sep_2021.pdf

Photo of FR209 in  her final configuration:

https://picclick.co.uk/North-American-B-25-Mitchell-FR209-Photo-HE774-373474143272.html#&gid=1&pid=1

• Like 2

The ADF Serials reference quoted above is pretty good for what you need. The early RAAF Mitchells were B-25D2 models. Do some thorough research on Novascale before you buy them. While the research is usually sound there are numerous problems mentioned with the actual print quality of the decals. Most of these were canvassed on the now defunct AMI board but you mat be able to retrieve the discussion.

Thanks all. I shouldn't have mentioned the G model as it's distracting to my question. I know the RAAF flew A-20Gs and Beaufighters maybe I'll simplify my research and do one of the them for my next twin. 

Thanks again all for the information. 

• Like 1

FWIW, Dad joined 2RAAF as a radio fitter at about the same time as the Mitchells, travelling through the NEI with the squadron until the end of the war and rising to the exalted rank of AC1. Sadly he took no photos of any aircraft - apparently it was frowned on officially at the time, and he toed the line. His recollection of colours was that most aircraft were "green and grey", with some being "silver".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mycapt65 said:

Thanks all. I shouldn't have mentioned the G model as it's distracting to my question. I know the RAAF flew A-20Gs and Beaufighters maybe I'll simplify my research and do one of the them for my next twin. 

Thanks again all for the information. 

You'll be pretty safe in doing a RAAF A-20G as these were loaned from US stocks in June 1944 and painted in Olive Drab & Neutral Grey. They didn't last too long though, most of the fleet was destroyed in a Japanese night time raid on Morotai in November 1944 with the survivors returned to the USAAF. 22 Squadron was then equiped with Beaufighter Mk21 (an Austraian built MkX with a buldge on the nose for an auto pilot and a slightly different navigators bubble canopy)

Nearly all of the Beaufighter Mk21s used by 30, 31 & 22 SQNs were painted in RAAF Foliage Green. The UK built MkI, VI, X & XIs are a little bit of a mine field as these were painted in the Temperate Land Scheme or Temperate Sea Scheme depending on what aircraft you're modelling. DK Decals do some good and fairly accurate schemes for RAAF Beaus and Boston/A-20.

This is some basic info to get you on your way, however there is a wealth of information here on Britmodeller regarding RAAF Bostons and Beaufighters by people who are more smarterer than me.

Happy modelling!

Edited by Jay Gee
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mycapt65 said:

Does anyone know anything about these markings. Theater? Combat? Colors? Strafer mods?

A47-26 is one of the recurring markings also used in the 1/72 AZ B-25J Mitchell box (Italeri moulds). 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/az-model-az7582-b-25j-mitchell-raaf--1123199

Ex-MLD/18sqn, ordered by the DPC (Dutch Purchasing Commission) as one of the first B-25Js , 43-27689.  Served as N5-220 while with 18(NEI) Sqn, transfered to 2 Sqn.

As far as I could find, besides the 4 pods, an additional M2 was installed in a fixed position in the (glass) nose on the starboard side from the pintle-mounted nose gun.

y4m4D4qr8DgxW1fvWYQjuWlx2ed36Sop6v0NB_aS

• Like 4

I can't recall the Dutch Decals book, but Phil Listermann has produced this book on RAAF B25's

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/b25-mitchell-in-raaf-service-9782953254440-raf-in-combat-9782953254440-ww2-us-aircraft/product/?action=prodinfo&art=85351

Another book which would cover the B25 in RAAF service would be the 2 Squadron history, however B25's are only a small part of this book

https://regimental-books.com.au/product/highest-traditions-the-history-of-no-2-squadron_-raaf/

Regards

Michael

The other

13 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Thanks for the link - great article. Bit controversial….

I wouldn't say controversial , sorted out a lot of the incorrect interpretations of schemes and timeframes , particularly with "D's" going from OD to NMF then back to Foliage Green, only bit I don't agree with Garry about is I believe the nose gun shell deflectors are fume extractors to try and reduce the gun gases in the nose, the fixed nose guns have shell collectors in the nose not ejected overboard , the cheek gun pack eject their brass overboard but not the nose guns.

3 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

I wouldn't say controversial , sorted out a lot of the incorrect interpretations of schemes and timeframes , particularly with "D's" going from OD to NMF then back to Foliage Green, only bit I don't agree with Garry about is I believe the nose gun shell deflectors are fume extractors to try and reduce the gun gases in the nose, the fixed nose guns have shell collectors in the nose not ejected overboard , the cheek gun pack eject their brass overboard but not the nose guns.

The controversial bit - yellow (?) codes. Flys in the face of officialdom.

2 Sqn did a few things not official , they stripped some D's to NMF then had to repaint them , reduced the blue on 48" roundels but kept same size white to give an odd size roundel (didn't retain the 5/2 ration that other sqn's did when they reduced their 48" roundels) , most 2 Sqn B-25's had nose art when it was frowned upon at most other units, yellow code ? at other units maybe not at 2 Sqn anything possible.    

Edited by Sydhuey