Fokker D.VII fabric

Phil Evans

Hi,

I feel like I should know the answer to this one, but I'm doing the Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII 32011. I'm wondering why they used 2 different finishes on the early aircraft? If they had lozenge fabric why not cover the whole aircraft as they did later? They used the streaked finish all over the triplane so what made them mix 2 different sources of fabric, clear and printed?

I've read the Datafile years ago and can't remember anything about this, but then I'm at that age now.

Cheers

Phil

Datafile's Fokker D.VII Anthology has a section dedicated to factory finishes.   It only makes mention of the evolution of streaking to lozenge use, but gives no reason as to why.  The first three air frames for the initial batch order, had streaking on the upper surfaces only.  Serial 230/18  would see the introduction to the wings the lozenge fabric.  Fuselage would remain streaked with turquoise undersides.  From 377/18 on,  fuselage and tails streaks switched to the lozenge prints.

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I just thought it would be all streaked like the triplane and then change to all lozenge. Thanks for looking it up, I appreciate it.

Regards

Phil