Machine works 1/4 Porsche 911 boxer engine

Hi all I got this today its actually a Franzis kit released under licence at a 3/4  the price of a Franzis kit, yes the instructions are not as glossy and there are no beautiful pics of the engine, and yes the box is not all luxury and flashy but the rest of the kit is exactly what you get from Franzis.

First thing I will have to deal with are those god awful carburettors.

I have masked the engine in half (as I intend to do it half see through and half not) we have a machine at work which will add a cast effect to the half that is not going to be see through. The metalizing technique I use need the parts to have a metallic appearance so to get that on the top of the pistons I use my mini lathe and just hold a file over the part whilst it's on (you could do the same with a dremel)

IMG-0174.jpg

IMG-0171.jpg

IMG-0188.jpg
IMG-0187.jpg
IMG-0186.jpg
IMG-0185.jpg
IMG-0183.jpg
IMG-0184.jpg

• Like 2

So here is the next update.

Thought I would fill that crankshaft (hope that doesn't bite me later its very heavy now.

IMG-0172.jpg

IMG-0241.jpg

This is how they would have you assemble the pistons and con rods.

IMG-0246.jpg

A bit of a problem getting rid of the seam lines like that.

I drilled out one half of the piston with a 4.5mm drill(same size as the gudgeon pins) so I can now glue both halves together and insert the gudgeon pin as would happen on the real thing.

IMG-0247.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the con rods.

IMG-0240.jpg

IMG-0242.jpg

And all installed.

IMG-0244.jpg
IMG-0243.jpg

Hell of a lot of play in those pistons, could do with some piston rings (not included with the kit)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...