1/48 - G.D./L.M. F-16 Fighting Falcon/Viper family by Kinetic - F-16A/AM, KF-16U & F-16C/D block 25/30/42/52 released - next: RoCAF F-16A/B & F-16V; Polish F-16C; Thaï F-16AM

Homebee

Gkt5KSP.jpg

What's this?  I hate to be "That Guy" but there weren't any red lines in this thread.   On the GE F110 engine petals the area where the petals slide over one another look like recesses with a panel line around it.  I thought this area was just a different color.  I really wish someone would do decals for this.

Ishikawajima-Harima_F110-IHI-129_turbofa

Some nits to pick. I don't like the trend to "modular" kits, but that's just me so a lot of this is me being cranky and nothing personal. I'm curious to see how this builds as I thought the previous Kinetic F-16 was too awful to waste money on.  I'm also not chomping at the bit to get one as I have too many F-16s in the stash already.

1. If you are going to have separate surfaces (flaperons) make all surfaces moveable. On the F-16 the leading and trailing edge flaps are both movable, but you only have the trailing edge moveable.  Normal position on the ground is up anyway, so no really need to have separate parts. 
  2. Rudder should have some kind of locating tab to make centering it on the vertical tail easier. Right now it looks like a butt join.
  3. I'd rather have parts join away from panel lines. I can never get a joint on a panel line to look as consistent as existing panel lines, but I can sand a joint smooth.
  4. Do not make holes for pylons all the way through the wing. It's easier to drill than fill. They should be clearly marked inside the wing where to drill them out, but not all pylons are carried all the time. Every pylon should have 2 holes to orient the pylon to minimize misalignment.
  5. Stop with the ridiculous breakdown of weapons.  They are my least favorite part of a model and really don't need to be this complicated. The AGM-88 has 6 fuselage pieces, 10 parts overall.  No thank you. 
  6. The GBU seeker tips are asking to get eaten by the carpet monster.  I'd also extend the seeker tip to include the ring fin at the base of the tip just to make the part larger and move where you glue it away from the tip that stays clear. It would be nice if the easiest to lose parts of most kits had spares.  Kind of surprised the weapons sprues didn't have separate clear sprues instead of one big clear sprue.
  7. AIM-9 and AIM-120, should have complete missiles for each variant and reduce the parts per missile. There's no reason for each aerodynamic surface to be molded separately on the AIM-120, it's just more chances to screw up the alignment of parts. I can't tell if the separate AIM-120 fins are for different variants, but again include parts only for complete missile assemblies. If the kit is a late model jet include late model weapons. Leftover fins go in the trash, but leftover missiles go in the spares bin and most of us like stuff for the spares bin.  Kits like the I Love Kits F-22 take it too far with generic weapons sprues that really don't apply to the subject so you end up using a small fraction of the sprue and the parts count is grossly inflated by a couple hundred parts that don't apply.
  8. No seatbelts molded on, no pilot to cover it up. Better be included on a PE fret. This is another trend that needs to stop. I can't remember the last "modern" kit I assembled that had seat belts in the box. I remember an old Monogram F/A-18 I did as a kid that at least printed a pattern in the instructions to cut out and paint that looked fairly decent when done. Doing this would be better than nothing.

A couple missing parts

1. Missing the BRU-57 twin store rack that is pretty common to the F-16
  2. I had hoped with this being a EPAF F-16A it would include some form of the TERMA PIDS pylons.  These are scarce in the aftermarket.
  3. Can't tell if the AN/ALE-50 towed decoy pylons are included.

ain.jpg?m=1371932717

Edited by Steve McArthur
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

There are advertisements for both kits in the October SAM.

The decal options for the F-16C Blk25/42 kit are

#1 Blk42 112nd FW Ohio ANG 2020 

#2 Blk25 148th FW Minnesota ANG 2008

#3 Blk25 147th FW Texas ANG 2007

Decals designed by Fightertown Decals.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, Boman said:

Keep in mind this is PRE production test shots. As stated by Kinetic, it is NOT the final version that will be boxed. 

Yeah.. even more urgent to point out things ;)

Weapons design most likely will not change  anymore.....

• Like 2

Some Wolfpack Design ROKAF KF-16 reboxing already in the pipeline.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/wolfpackdkorea/posts/pfbid02JfXLYN6zdJuvAgi84XM4UZM6LwwokzRRfTTQwBpwij3MeZLVmT58p3ouGfV3vfZnl

울프팩은 키네틱 모델과 함께 대한민국공군의 1/48 KF-16C/D의 발매를 기획중에 있습니다. 키네틱 모델의 신금형 1/48 F-16C/D Block 52를 베이스로 KF-16 전용 부품 추가의 형태가 될 예정입니다.

아울러 키네틱 제품과 별개로 대한민국공군이 운용중인 KF-16U와 RF-16 시리즈도 기획중에 있습니다.

많은 관심 부탁드립니다.

Googled:

Wolfpack is planning the release of Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) 1/48 KF-16C/D with kinetic model. Based on the new 1/48 Kinetic  F-16C/D Block 52, with KF-16 exclusive parts.

Separately from Kinetic products, the KF-16U and RF-16 series operated by the Republic of Korea Air Force are also in the pipe line. (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

On 16/09/2022 at 12:03, Boman said:

Keep in mind this is PRE production test shots. As stated by Kinetic, it is NOT the final version that will be boxed. 

Yes, but if the criticism is valid, which I think it it, it must be made. Even if Kinetic does not frequent britmodeller.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - GD/LM F-16AM/BM Block 20 (MLU) & ADF Fighting Falcon and F-16C/D Block 25/42 Viper by Kinetic - box art+schemes+sprues+test build - F-16AM release November 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - GD/LM F-16AM/BM Block 20 (MLU) & ADF Fighting Falcon and F-16C/D Block 25/42 Viper by Kinetic - box art+schemes+sprues+test build - F-16AM release in November 2022
  • 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/posts/pfbid022i6UvqM2tM2ZeWub3WwDuEVRQxmfcvE3aMZeejoE4WEhiozR2Dr1mAP9mvuYK5ufl

Hello dear Friends,

We are happy to announce that Scale Model World 2022, in Telford, will be the first sale for the New Tooled 48100 - F-16A MLU and 48102 - F-16C USAF model kits.

They will be available in limited quantity by Air Cargo.

We will be waiting for you...

314533920-209551624753443-35988344788069

V.P.

Released

- ref. K48100 - General Dynamics F-16AM Fighting Falcon - MLU NATO Viper 

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48100

- ref. 48102 - Lockheed-Martin F-16C Block 25/42 Viper 

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KI-K48102

PI000000284162.jpg PI000000284164.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon/Viper family by Kinetic - F-16A/AM & F-16C released

I picked up both kits from Frome Model Centre at Telford.  They both look very nice in the box and the parts breakdown is very similar to the Tamiya kit. At first glance it looks as if the F-16A and F-16C Blk 25/42 have the same plastic in each box with instructions and decals being the difference. Surface detail is very nice.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I picked up both kits at Telford from FMC on Saturday. The following pictures are mine and the plastic in both boxes is the same.

20221115_130418

The IFF antennae are moulded on but should be easy to sand off.

20221115_130502

There are alternative parts for the upper rear fuselage parts depending on whether the A/B or C/D variants are being built. The parts for the base of the F-16ADF tail are at the top of the sprue. 

20221115_130558

There are alternative parts for the various tail fairing extensions used by the various nations, the APX-111 "bird slicer" IFF antennae used by the F-16ADF are included but there is only one set where two are needed as there is another set mounted on the base of the air intake.  The side panels for the nose with the RWR can be opened for the identification light to be fitted on the left side. There are both left and right HARM Targeting System (HTS) pods included for the C/D variant. Three instrument panels are included and two types of fairing for the M61 Vulcan cannon. The radome is split vertically and parts for the radar are included. 

20221115_131649

This sprue has parts for the P&W F-100 engine nozzle and NSI intake. Both light and heavy landing gear are included.

20221115_130747

2 x duplicate sprues contain parts for the drop tanks, pylons and horizontal stabilisers . There is an ACES II seat on each sprue and a choice of wheels for either the lightweight (A/B/AM/BM) or heavyweight (C/D) landing gear options. A triple ejector rack TER is included on each sprue and there is a choice of LAU-129 and 16S210 rails for the wingtips. 

20221115_130835

Two duplicate weapon/stores sprues are included, weapons included are

2 x GBU-31 2000lb JDAM

2 x GBU-38 500lb JDAM

4 x GBU-12 or GBU-49 500lb Paveway II LGB

2 x GBU-24 2000lb LGB

2 x AIM-120B/C AMRAAM 

2 x AIM-9M Sidewinder

2 x AIM-9X Sidewinder

There are alternative seeker heads for AIM-9J/P versions on the sprues as well as what appear to be AIM-9B.

2 x AGM-88 HARM 

LAU-118 Adaptor rails for the HARM and another pair of LAU-129 rails are included. There is also an LAU-7 rail on each sprue although I'm not sure they were used on the F-16.

20221115_130915

This sprue has all the various navigation/targeting pods.  AAQ-13&14 LANTIRN pods and AAQ-33 Sniper pod. It's not listed in the instructions but there's an AAQ-28 LITENING pod on the sprue. The sole ECM pod is an ALQ-184. 

20221115_131401

Clear parts sprue. The canopy is moulded clear, leaving it to the modeller to tint it if required. A choice of WAC HUD used on F-16A / C Blk 25 or WAR HUD used on C Blk 42.

20221115_130959

F-16A/AM decal sheet

20221115_131817

F-16C Blk 25/42 decal sheet

20221115_131015

Decal sheet for weapons.

This looks like a lovely kit but there are some things not included such as the strengthening plates fitted to F-16s in the '90s. These have to be added from aftermarket such as KASL or Furball Aero-design.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

20221115_130418

20221115_130558

the APX-111 "bird slicer" IFF antennae used by the F-16ADF are included but there is only one set where two are needed as there is another set mounted on the base of the air intake.  

Are they not on this sprue as the upper ones are moulded onto the Fwd upper fuselage part?

The danish part of the decal sheet is ... bad... The font for the number E-603 is looking not quite correct. The white dot on the roundels are too big.

If someone wants to build a danish F-16 with way better decals, I can suggest visiting Lima November decals:

https://lndecals.dk/aircraft-decals/royal-danish-airforce/

Best regards

Flemming

• Like 4

I've found an error in the instructions about which tail extension to use for which nationality . In Section 26 the instructions specify the same extension for both the Belgian and Dutch aircraft when it should be the same one for the Dutch and Norwegian aircraft. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The F-16ADF has differently shaped IFF antenna than the MLU. 

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0286b.shtml

Yes they are different. Though not all ADF aircraft actually got the antennas fitted. Is there a USAF ADF on the decal sheet?