1/48 - G.D./L.M. F-16 Fighting Falcon/Viper family by Kinetic - F-16A/AM, KF-16U & F-16C/D block 25/30/42/52 released - next: RoCAF F-16A/B & F-16V; Polish F-16C; Thaï F-16AM

Homebee

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Could I use this kit to make a Balkans war Viper? I'm not particularly familiar with the differences. 

As far as I'm aware, the answer to that would be yes.....

• Like 1

Although I didn't expect an F-16 as "New Mold" for this announcement, I totally understand the financial logic on this.  Not long ago, I was discussing the lack of a decent and affordable F-16A/MLU kit in 1/48 WITH weapons and a good selection of high quality decals.  They got this nailed.   Tamiya has a nice C version with Sidewinders only for a high price.  Hasegawa and even old Kinetic F-16s are now hard to find.   I will need at least 4 of these new kits....Great news and waiting for future releases for Mirage F.1 Family, Skyhawk family and the Gina G.91....

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hopkp said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that Hasegawa's Skyhawk kits were more recent than Hasegawa's  F-16s; on that basis (in my view only, of course!)  the F-16 would be the kit more in need of a modern replacement!

Well yes but,dont forget that Hasegawa's F-16s are not the more recent ones. Kinetic already had an F-16 family. They just did a new tool now, supposedly correcting all the flaws of the previous ones. Its not really a novelty. But the Skyhawks would be.

Any new tooled modern jet is good by me.  And this seems like a sound commercial choice.  They (Kinetic) obviously know how many of their earlier tooling sold so must be confident there is market for a retooled family .   I guess doing things that sell well can fund those things (like A tutor) that won't.  There are so many special schemes for F-16A it should keep the decal manufacturers in business as well. 

The Hasegawa F-16s's are well overdue for replacement, and Kinetics first lot didn't do that with clunky detail and shape errors.  As good as the Tamiya kit is it only covers a tiny slice of the family.   So a new tooling is welcome , especially as Kinetic will certainly do some of the more exotic F-16 variants like the Sufa, Polish, Greek and Singaporean aircraft with the spines.   If they are as good as the F-104's (i.e. relatively simple to build and well fitting) I'll be in for a few for sure. 

• Like 4

Well, its better than nothing I suppose, like some, quite happy with my Tamiya 1/48 and 1/32 kits but I'd still love a state of art 1/48 Two seater D kit.

7 hours ago, hopkp said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! 🙂

In my view the existing Kinetic F-16 kits have far more problems (both in shape and fit) than the Hasegawa Skyhawk kits do, I actually think the Hasegawa Skyhawk kits are still pretty good overall (though I'd accept that they're sometimes not easy to find). I could certainly make a better model of a Skyhawk from the Hasegawa kit than I could a model of an F-16 from the Kinetic kits; then again, I'd also have to admit to being just a 'kit assembler' rather than someone who enjoys correcting significant fit or shape problems in kits (to be completely honest, I'm not really able to either, unlike many on here). I also think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that a  new 1/48 Skyhawk would be a 'novelty', but then again - as is evidenced by many threads here - there are different opinions about a lot of things. I guess that's what keeps it all so interesting! Hopefully we'll get both a new A-4 series and a new Mirage F.1 series from Kinetic at some stage, there always the Fiat 'Gina' to look forward to as well. If anyone from Kinetic is reading any of this, then for the record I'd buy multiples of them all!

Agreed,the Kinetic F-16s have a lot of issues, specially with buildability (I too don't dwell a lot on shape errors,unless it really stands out. If it looks like said subject,then for me its ok). And yes, Hasegawa Skyhawks are still very good kits, considering the tooling age. But, if you decide tomorrow to buy a Hasegawa A-4A, B or C, you can't find one. And if you do find one,it will cost you 3 or 4 times the original selling price. That's why I say that a new Kinetic early variant A-4 would sell a lot. While Kinetic F-16s, like I mentioned,there are many modellers that are thinking what to do with those now "old" Kinetic F-16s on their stash. I had that reaction from a friend last night when we were talking about the new release. Because Kinetic will probably redo the entire family,or at least all the variants they've released before. And he told me right away he wouldn't buy the new one,having 5 or more Kinetic F-16s already, many of them with extras bought for it. I get Kinetic's decision to fix one they're most criticized kits,I really do. And no doubt they will sell a lot. Hell,I may even buy one eventually, if this new boxing allows me to do the portuguese F-16 without having to change a bunch of things. But I would still prefer to have a new Skyhawk family,or at least the early variants. I think its a much desired new tooling for many modellers out there. More than a new F-16.

• Like 1

Here is the presentation of this very good news on the website “The Modeling News”:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/05/preview-f-16-mlu-redux-from-kinetic.html#more

Additional info:

The box of the original K48002 “F-16AM Block 15 Nato Viper” kit indicates 450 pieces +;

and

The box of the future kit K48100 “F-16A MLU Nato Viper” indicates 220 pieces +;

A decrease of 230 parts for the new future kit compared to the old one.

By deduction :

Compared to the old kit, the cutting of the parts of the new kit announced “Snap Fit”

will certainly be simplified.

What is more, the new model is announced with an option called “MagFire” allowing to

interchange the armaments via magnetic tips integrated into the different pylons.

It is therefore more than likely that Kinetic will provide us with a separate weapons kit with

this “MagFire” option.

To be confirmed or denied.

🙂

SharkOwl

I say well done to Kinetic for tooling this new F-16.

Good to see other nations being catered for with the markings options in the kit.

• Like 2

Video: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/videos/1072269110304073/

Our new Kinetic Model 48100-F-16A MLU NATO Viper will be a step up on the modelling technology.

The new kit introduce the MAGFIRE - a magnet system to place weapons with no glue, that give to modeller the possibility to change the weapons and drop tanks configurations always you want.

Today is a SEAD mission? use your AGM-88. Tomorrow a bombing mission? Use your LGB’s. All this with no more problems glueing parts.

Also introduce a SNAP FIT build experience. The fit is perfect and no need the boring

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I don't see a hint of scab plates in the video, which should be on any modern F-16AMs.

So, what's so wrong with the Hasegawa F-16A/B?  The only things that come to mind are low detail landing gear bays and the inlet doesn't snake all the way to an engine face.  I always thought it was pretty good, better than their block 40+ variants.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, One 48 said:

You know what i wish, Tamiya will finally release a two seater D in both 1/32 and 1/48, both kits seem engineered for those, but its a long time wish that will never be fulfilled.
Its a funny old world :)

It sure is a funny old world, and if anything it's getting even more daft on an almost daily basis (and not just in relation to model aircraft kits either)!

Personally, I've given up trying to figure out Tamiya's logic.....if you're only going to issue a kit of one variant, why make the tooling in such a way as to allow multiple variants to be produced - surely all you're doing is increasing your costs? It'll be interesting to see how many F-4 variants Tamiya eventually does.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

I don't see a hint of scab plates in the video, which should be on any modern F-16AMs.

So, what's so wrong with the Hasegawa F-16A/B?  The only things that come to mind are low detail landing gear bays and the inlet doesn't snake all the way to an engine face.  I always thought it was pretty good, better than their block 40+ variants.

Perhaps the 'scabbed on' strengthening plates will be provided by Kinetic as PE parts? (Most of the Kinetic Gold' range includes a small frame of PE parts as best I can remember.)

In reply to your question about the Hasegawa 1/48 F-16s, there's nothing at all wrong with them if you're OK with building a very basic kit that's now nearly 40 years old (e.g., as you mention, the wheel wells and intake are quite poor, you could also add the cockpit, the wheels/undercarriage and the exhaust to the list). Apart from that, none of the Hasegawa kits are representative of the 'post-MLU' aircraft used by the main European F-16 operators and which carried most of the interesting colour schemes. Only my view, of course.....a 'Stateside' perspective may well be different.

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 3

I must admit its not shouting at me, but there will be a good market for it.

I might be tempted if the put the ADF bits in the kit.

6 hours ago, hopkp said:

Perhaps the 'scabbed on' strengthening plates will be provided by Kinetic as PE parts? (Most of the Kinetic Gold' range includes a small frame of PE parts as best I can remember.)

Hi :D

I can't see why Kinetic couldn't provide the strengthening plates in PE, they did in this kit. 
130553-10941-pristine.jpg
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48036-f-16a-block-20-mlu--130553

/Bosse

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, luis pacheco said:

Minibase is announcing a 1/48 F-16...

Kinetic takes pride in reducing the part count, Minibase will release a 756 part kit...

• Haha 4

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel/posts/pfbid09DL8fD9LCTuyGswQPxsg6i6LPxyjzhiXYPMypwZMtB4f6hFGiE51mqt5VwRkXBkDl

Hello Dear Modellers,

We go ahead with the news about our New Tooled - 48100 - F-16A MLU NATO VIPER in 1/48 scale.

Today we will start to reveal the Decal Options that will be include on this box. We will announce 1 marking per day, and we ask you to keep your eyes on the posts, because we have a surprise on the end of this announcement.

Firstly, we need to say that the decals are designed in high quality and definition by the world famous Brazilian FCM Decals. Full stencils and markings are supported by NATO air crews and revised by Aviation Historian Vini Kitmaniac Modeller. The decals will be print by Cartograf.

So, lets start. The first marking include on kit is the boxart star. This is a Belgium Air Force - F-16A Block 20 MLU - FA86. This aircraft was operating from Ämari Air Base in Estonia for the Baltic State Air Policing in 2016. FA86 was involved in some interceptions of the Russian Aircraft during this time.

Tomorrow the second one... stay tuned!!!

285234817-2170250299808736-2297296246250
285233342-2170250336475399-6000596361954
285459461-2170250316475401-3899360571555

V.P.

• Like 2