1/35 Miniart British M3 Lee - North Africa 1942. "FINISHED"

Hello everyone, I have done a bit more work on my M3, The top plate is now in place, not glued yet, that will be done shortly. Then I started to work on the backplate's, I glued those in place and then started to look at the tie down handles... 

y4mJIDK1ISU_TtEMPyCm0sz_IdqsYvq2BBDhNe72

These are the ones that Miniart give you, part number 46, bottom right hand corner...

y4meNtc4kCRgsNsn6h9qSg0gSx9DssyESQ7UCEfU

In short they are horrible. they give you the guide marks where you should bend them, but this makes them so flimsy. Out of the first three that I had tried to bend, the ends broke off on two of them. At that rate I wouldn't have enough handles and when I glued the only one in place there was little room for the tool securing straps to go through.

So I started to look to see how they should look and I found this picture...

y4mmh0XP70BE39LP8d3SAO00fPQlmOiCADsD9D90

The one in the middle closest to the front  is a bit bent which made me feel somewhat better, I can definitely replicate that! There is also a better one on the right hand side.

So after a lot of fiddling, I ended up using my handle bending tool and then used pliers to flatten the ends, here's the result...

y4moFCA5NxI1_EtF23EwmvS7ymuNYwqZpjEaDuAp

I then added all the other PE onto the back plates and then added the tools into their positions. The tools and tow rope are not glued, I've just placed them into position to see what they will look like and will all be painted separately.

y4mVrwt2u6KBU6EYySU8V8CVVHByaoix7J-jc60c

y4m9USTpU6lxX_YCvXMe5CURTZNjMxILLsA7Zr-g

I have a few more bits to add to the top plate, such as hatch covers etc, then It's onto the wheel assembly. Not sure of the best way to do this at the moment, the wheels themselves are no problem, I'll just paint them in the usual way. I'm considering painting the suspension parts whilst on the sprue and then assembling everything after. Not sure, I'm totally new to the M3 and M4 so unsure of the best method at the moment, will have a bit of a think... 

As always thanks for looking.

Ed

• Like 18

5 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Nicely done on the handles Ed 

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Echo arfa1983's comment: you handled those tie downs well.

Many thanks both of you, I normally don't mind doing PE, but this was just ridiculous. I think It would have been better if Miniart just did plastic ones for these tie downs instead, at least they would have been more stable.

all the best

Ed

• Like 2

Hi Ed. Great to see more progress and I echo the comments above; you did a fantastic job with the tie down handles! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Very nice Ed, good work with the pe.

If it's of any use, when doing M3 /M4s in the past I've assembled the suspension units then painted prior to mounting them on the prepainted hull. The tyres I'll have brush painted. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ed. Great to see more progress and I echo the comments above; you did a fantastic job with the tie down handles! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, very much appreciated...

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Sheesh! I'm happy to be cutting away my engine decking and avoiding this P/E lunacy. I wouldn't be able to do it anyway. Your tie downs have ended up looking very 3D, very close to the real thing.

Not the best PE I've seen Bertie, but at least I know what to do for the others in the series that I will be making...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Very nice Ed, good work with the pe.

If it's of any use, when doing M3 /M4s in the past I've assembled the suspension units then painted prior to mounting them on the prepainted hull. The tyres I'll have brush painted. 

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, Yes It's going to be a mixture of assembling  and pre-painting bits. The hull, I know I will have to pre-paint as I have the skirts to attach over the running gear and tracks, I'm going to do one set of running gear first to get a method, then do the rest...

thanks for  your comments

Ed

• Like 1

Hi there folks, a little while since my last update, I can't believe how long it's taken me to do the running gear. I first started doing one and painting the parts separately, then assembling together, that caused more problems than It should have. Then I decided to assemble another one first and then paint later, that was better. In the end I did a bit of both and got into a working method that I can use on other M3's that I have.

Here's a photo of the running gear, just need to weather later on when glued onto the base...

y4mjA2gi9Mx9hMs5sAJZpJ_cg1K9hTYKh72KfcSR

Next up are the Miniart tracks, see you in a month !!!...

all the best

Ed

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Your suspension looks excellent Ed, such super neat, clean and precise paintwork!

Good luck with those tracks....

Many thanks Darryl, It took a while to get to a good method as I've never done any before, but I enjoyed doing them in the end, as for the tracks....................

• Like 1

Hi there, a new update, I have now completed assembling the tracks. I was actually very surprised, I thought that they would be difficult and take a lot of time, but I really found them easier to do than Masterclub metal tracks. They are a bit of a fiddle, especially the first two links as you have 4 track end connectors floating around, but once that is done it's only two connectors to worry about as you build up. Once built the tracks are very supple, quite impressed really, here's a photo....

y4muI5myVekFGdpJIN4KQnGEdLtX68jsJvx5YLSo

I have a few more bits to add to the base of the tank then I will start to paint the base and add the running gear before adding the side skirts...

will be back soon, thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Lovely set of tracks Ed!

10 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Got to agree with JD, the tracks do look very good Ed.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thank you both, the running gear and the tracks have been the biggest time sinks in this model so far.  I really thought the tracks would have been the biggest issue, but surprisingly they were straight forward. Now with these two out of the way I can crack on...

all the best

Ed

• Like 2

The Miniart track system took a bit of getting used to but once I found a method that worked for me it became almost fun. And I agree with Ed, they are remarkably supple when done. I think that's because like the real ones, there are two hinges between each pad.

• Like 1

Hello folks, a new update. Because this tank has side skirts I decided to paint the bottom half of the tank in preparation for fitting the running gear and tracks as I thought it may be difficult to paint everything after the skirts are in place.... 

So I painted a slightly darker colour, then added a bit of weathering to it with oil paints as a start. I will add more later on...

y4mcyfqRSlbI906S6Mbwdko37xtMnVX1vPafY0OS

I then painted the tracks and made a wash from white and yellow ochre oil paints and added liberally to all of the exposed surfaces. When dry I brushed off the excess with a dry stubby paint brush...

y4mFRJrP7ET4kQMu-sflffpHLdix8Jbh6e0xazM9

I did the same for the running gear...

y4m8lnKcena2OJzkK7QFTECk8bSwEQSp-HR7lSTN

Finally I assembled everything together...

y4mSND4xGVUJNZkG5Najj0CC2rDi6ZkmKN-FT6dO

y4m3TOhahdQADWmhdCyB2gPRUZeMsl-MretfAgHy

y4m2m8ly6JLhJi8xLjEua7_B12FNHjBNOj35Ay5v

That's the bottom half done with the exception of more weathering once I have the top part painted and then I can weather all together...

Next up is to add the side skirts and then storage boxes to the back of the tank and other bits and pieces...  I'll be back when I have made more progress...

Thanks for looking in, all the best

Ed

• Like 10

Your completed lower hull looks magnificent Ed, as do the tracks too.

Can I ask what paint you've used for the sand colour?

Same for the metallic parts of the tracks....needy moi! :whistle:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Darryl, for the sand colour I used Vallejo model air paints, for the base colour I sprayed on 2 parts Sand Yellow 71.028 to 1 part Sand Ivory 71.075 then I stippled on with sponge as you would when applying chipping, some lighter and darker brown shades just to give some variation in the colour. I then used the oil wash using white and a little bit of yellow ochre to the bottom bits and around the rivets. As for the metal parts on the tracks I first mixed a red brown coloured paint with grey then I tried for the first time Humbrol  metalcote Polished steel which I dry brushed on, then when dry just gave it a quick rub with a cloth in certain areas to  bring out the detail.

all the best 

Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1