1/35 Miniart British M3 Lee - North Africa 1942. "FINISHED"

Hi there everyone, this is my entry into my first group build. Talking about first's, I have never built an M3 or an M4 (shame on me), so this will be really interesting for me doing something totally new. I have chosen a Miniart M3 as I have read good reports about them, plus the fact that I love doing Miniart kits anyway. I already had an M3 in my stash, a Miniart interior, but with 3 months to build, It would have been a bit of a stretch, for me at least to complete in time. So this is an external build, having said that It still comes with a good parts count. 

So on to a few pictures, this is the box art, I really like the look of this....

y4mQth3DfykMv7QSTmI5lDeQiATtCAjvj2oK6ugt

This will be the version that I hope to build...

y4mJdwbeqW2PAqYCQctG3SIRZh5euc_ytOxb4W_D

Kit comes with rucksacks and bags, interesting to see how these look...

y4mcL8RgMLUW1erV48pyVxKcKQJWkzpk8yByskXb

Some shots of a few sprues...

y4m4-vYaT0g6E302jFV2o5VadP_t4sFQDOcEOJyd

y4m1De6YpY9L8o0vZGR4S45SGwR0HRt8mblPz719

y4mLOosQuL_nB_Go8xjHFyIapVfO1Tuonr8Qxcpa

You get a small PE set , some decals and clear parts. I have purchased the tow rope from Eureka XL. 

y4mpRTe3ox1u1Pu7vdPJwO39JeQCWK8nskKfz6Ju

The kit will be pretty much OOB, along with the purchased tow rope and I have purchased last night some North Africa tank crew figures and some Hornet heads to go with them.

So there you go, I'm looking forward to this, see you soon

Ed

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

We have many sprues in common, as you would expect. 

Hi there Bertie, indeed we have and I'm glad to say that I have probably half the sprues that you have 😀

I bought this kit specifically for this group build never having done an M3 or M4 before, I liked what I saw in the box and ended up buying another 3 M3's from Miniart, a Grant 1, Grant 2 and a late production Lee. 

That should keep me going for a bit!

all the best

Ed

• Haha 1

Crikey another maniac!

Miniart M3's, not feeling inadequate in the slightest about not having one....

Everyday's a school day, I've never seen a British Lee in North Africa, I'd always assumed they just had Grant's.

Good luck Ed, always enjoy your builds.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Hi there everyone, this is my entry into my first group build. Talking about first's, I have never built an M3 or an M4 (shame on me), so this will be really interesting for me doing something totally new. I have chosen a Miniart M3 as I have read good reports about them, plus the fact that I love doing Miniart kits anyway. I already had an M3 in my stash, a Miniart interior, but with 3 months to build, It would have been a bit of a stretch, for me at least to complete in time. So this is an external build, having said that It still comes with a good parts count. 

So on to a few pictures, this is the box art, I really like the look of this....

y4mQth3DfykMv7QSTmI5lDeQiATtCAjvj2oK6ugt

This will be the version that I hope to build...

y4mJdwbeqW2PAqYCQctG3SIRZh5euc_ytOxb4W_D

Kit comes with rucksacks and bags, interesting to see how these look...

y4mcL8RgMLUW1erV48pyVxKcKQJWkzpk8yByskXb

Some shots of a few sprues...

y4m4-vYaT0g6E302jFV2o5VadP_t4sFQDOcEOJyd

y4m1De6YpY9L8o0vZGR4S45SGwR0HRt8mblPz719

y4mLOosQuL_nB_Go8xjHFyIapVfO1Tuonr8Qxcpa

You get a small PE set , some decals and clear parts. I have purchased the tow rope from Eureka XL. 

y4mpRTe3ox1u1Pu7vdPJwO39JeQCWK8nskKfz6Ju

The kit will be pretty much OOB, along with the purchased tow rope and I have purchased last night some North Africa tank crew figures and some Hornet heads to go with them.

So there you go, I'm looking forward to this, see you soon

Ed

Hello Ed

Great kit!
I can't wait to see what you do with it 😅

MD

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Crikey another maniac!

That pretty much sums me up Darryl 🤣  

As for the Lee in North Africa, here's a photo of both a Grant and a Lee together, during the First battle of El Alamein 7th July 1942.

y4mFoVedOZEI6IqCmMChzcNoMLWmxkHGjeMKPNby

Both are cool looking tanks in my opinion...

thanks for commenting

Ed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hello Ed

Great kit!
I can't wait to see what you do with it 😅

MD

Thanks MD, it's nice to try something completely different, so I'm looking forward to starting this..

Ed

• Like 1

Hi Ed. Welcome to your first GB. Great to have you here and I hope you have an enjoyable build. I do really like the look of these MiniArt kits. It's good to see another M3 too.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Mmm, this looks interesting - a good trick, labelling those sprues like that (I might pinch the idea).

No problem Robert, with Miniart, labelling the sprues like this is a given, there are so many of them it just makes things a little easier...

Ed

• Like 1

Hello everyone, just started to work on the base, In true Miniart fashion a fair amount of parts make up the base. I have to say that the detail is really crisp..

After cutting and cleaning up the parts, these make up the start of the base...

y4mnFhuepMymP5rNSiKgviWVn-uHU8OyVZ9s3hqN

Generally the parts fit quite well, I found the side walls were a bit fiddly, but once in place everything went together well... A few photo's to show where I'm at ...

y4mhX2000cDqY74Wk2T8ox7P7lR0HgeF2tjS180F

y4mcJntLdw1BmOQnh5KsLT7OL7h08SBAEMIVFYRp

thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 10

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ed. Looks like you are off to a great start and the detail on the kit looks amazing! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix, I've read other people praising the amount of detail on the M3's, I can now see why, really impressive...

Ed

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Romping away Ed, really looking forward to being able to make a start myself. :thumbsup:

Darryl 

It's going great at the moment, part fit so far has been great. It will be good to see your North Africa based Tasca Sherman when you start...

all the best

Ed

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You are zooming Ed. (But my tracks are done :devil:

Indeed they are Bertie and they do look good, thanks for posting how you did those, it will definitely ease the pain when I get to them...

I have done a bit more, in fact quite a lot, but It doesn't look like I have done much. Typical with Miniart, lots of parts to assemble, so I have been a bit bogged down as to progress.

Anyhow I have continued building up the hull...

y4mVafbTL7l_Bn35PgVBezQ4NAGv9ibvh42ErajT

y4mwEQffHqGFX1udGM_GEgnS2gapFbMOYwAQLppr

Then I  started to work on the rear of the hull, here I have added the engine compartment access doors and added a brass handle, it's easier than cleaning up Miniart's. I'm just going to build everything as per instructions, I know that some of the parts will not be seen as the grill on the back of the hull, but I have another 3 of these to build so I will know what to leave out in the future. View showing the engine-compartment access doors and the two "pepper-pot" exhaust's either side... 

y4me48q15Opa5R1vA2fxhZOqh1rww2KWDsK1NnTm

I have added wiring for the lights at the rear...

y4moaQKPABJoNOZdu3P75O9oxUsl_u_74D-r4zHm

That's it for now, plenty more to do on the hull, will be back soon...

thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 13