A Lincoln on the cheap

Reparty

I know before starting this is likely incredibly dumb to those with more knowledge than I currently have,

but how practical a project would it be to combine a Lancaster fuselage (with relevant extensions and rhinoplasty) with a Shackleton wing/engine combo to produce a Lincoln?

But as the topic timestamp will show, I'm currently suffering from insomnia and have a head full of similar crackers ideas.

Edited by Reparty

IIRC, there was an article many years ago in Airfix Magazine January 1972, and maybe a later one in SAM, on how to do that conversion. 

Hopefully a member here will have a copy.    I may have it but I am away from home.

I vaguely remember the wingtips need extending and so do the wing roots.   Of course, the fuselage needs lengthening and a new nose

David

• Like 1

I haven't done the full archaeological dig yet, but I'm presuming there won't be an insurmountable difference with the annular cowlings.

Though I haven't yet compared the Griffon parts to the Airfix mag drawings.

1 hour ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Only snag is the Shattipuss has Griffon rather than the Merlin 85 of the Lincoln.

the annular radiator style cowlings are very similar though, certainly for 1:72nd work.

• Like 1

You can get Merlin 85s here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284698770370

Look at his other items for the full range including a Manchester conversion. Quality isn't up to CMK standards but good enough to work with. He used to sell directly on BM maybe as @smudger or @Smudger2?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Not really, unless you are not concerned with accuracy. A Spitfire is very similar to a Spiteful.

The cowlings look a lot more similar to each other than a Spiteful does to a Spitfire to my eyes. 

The Shack cowling front details need modifying ideally but I would say the overall shapes are a good basis for a DIY Lincoln conversion.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Certainly similar, but not good enough for 1/72m work.  That's a pretty condescending comment. meant to put the poor 1/72 modellers in their place, but only displays ignorance.

I am a 1:72 modeller and I would be happy using the cowlings for a basis for conversion. 

I'm surprised by your post to be honest, our modelling skills and expectations maybe very different from each other, I would admit mine are very basic, but I'm not an ignorant nor a condescending person and I am saddened that I have come across that way.

• Like 2

I seem to recall that Blackbird did a very extensive Lincoln conversion set, as well as a Manchester conversion set in 1/72; I have the Manchester set, and it is very nice. I believe they are planning to re-release both in the future. Might be worth looking into. You can go to their website to see what both look like. I regret I never got the Lincoln conversion when it was available- I hope it does get re-released!

Mike

https://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/avro-lincoln-conversion-x2872x29-1492-p.asp

On 17/03/2022 at 11:42, Reparty said:

That's a proper old school approach in the Airfix mag.

Indeed. Having read the article,  and having a load of old Airfix mags,  I suspect if you took a photo of one of the builds in them they would often look quite crude by modern standards.    Also, the scan seems to be missing page 272, which look to be a lot of conversion details.

Unless you happen to have an old Lanc and a Frog(or more likely a Russian moulding) laying around already , as well  lot of spare time and patience, a dedicated conversion like the Blackbird one mentioned will make a better model with a lot less work, in particular the work involved in making the new nose turret and nose transparencies, and the 4 blade props would be a lot of careful work.

Doable yes,  and if done as a work in progress would be a very popular thread I think.    It is possible you could take from both old school in combining old kits, and up to date by getting some parts 3-D printed, but I'd also look into a dedicated conversion  as well. 

Perhaps worth noting the Contrail did a Vacform kit,https://www.scalemates.com/kits/contrail-av-roe-lincoln--158639

build

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/lincoln.htm

which I think is still available via Sanger, https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CON730?result-token=ZYGMy  

Flightpath also do a conversion

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18023

HTH

On 3/17/2022 at 6:15 AM, David Womby said:

IIRC, there was an article many years ago in Airfix Magazine January 1972, and maybe a later one in SAM, on how to do that conversion. 

Hopefully a member here will have a copy.    I may have it but I am away from home.

I vaguely remember the wingtips need extending and so do the wing roots.   Of course, the fuselage needs lengthening and a new nose

David

First modelling mag I ever bought 😮

I didn't start buying Airfix Magazine regularly until it went to A4 format but I did have one or two earlier ones. 

John 

Hi

apologies slightly off topiic 

I like tbe old airfix mag conversions,  majority of my builds are " models " , not " scale replicas "  so in my case the airfix articles are great for those rare expensive kit subjects 

don't think my old eyesight or hobby budget would let me do scale replicas anyway 

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reparty said:

Thanks Troy.

I wasn't aware of the Flightpath conversion, and it looks like a good option.

It is a good option and was the only game in town when I built mine a decade or so ago as shown beneath.

lincoln-23.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1