Up in the loft...an F16 and a forgotten ship

Jeff J

I knew that up in the loft I had a 1/32 scale General Dynamics F-16A kit from circa 1977/8 (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235107751-up-in-the-loftan-f16-and-a-bonus/), but when I went to retrieve it I also found this:

20220316_163606

20220316_163654

Sadly, no decals (if it ever had any) and no instructions.

I just checked Scalemates and as I thought, it is a Heller rebox of the Revell kit that goes back to the 50s.  The main problem is, out of the box it ain't the Flying Cloud.  You will notice that it has a rounded stern.  The real Flying Cloud had a squared off stern.  How did I realize that?  About a year or so ago I found the same kit (in the box scale of 1/232) at a hobby shop and having a big interest in the Flying Cloud, and having built it once before only to have one of the cats accidentally destroy it, I bought it.  I have a large size book, "The American-Built Clipper Ship" by Willam L. Crothers at home, along with a copy of a painting of the Cloud done by done by J. O'H. Cosgrove II (the painting was financed by the Works Project Administration during the Great Depression of the 30s).  Both show the squared off stern.  Revell also put out a kit of another clipper ship, the Stag Hound, which is basically the same kit!  I have never purchased that one so can't make a detailed assessment of the differences, if any, between the two kits.  Check Scalemates for an instruction sheet.  It is not there for the Heller boxing but might be for the Revell boxing.  If you still can't find it, send my a PM and I will e-mail a copy of my instructions.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 05:06, e8n2 said:

Check Scalemates for an instruction sheet.  It is not there for the Heller boxing but might be for the Revell boxing.  If you still can't find it, send my a PM and I will e-mail a copy of my instructions.

Later,

Dave

Dave

Turns out all I had to do was check the box more carefully. The instruction sheet is there, plus the decals, and the printed flag.

Thank you for your offer though, and the interesting detail about the actual shape of the stern!

Jeff

• Like 1