1:32nd scale Sopwith 'Comic' night fighter

Hi all,
Sopwith ‘Comic’ night fighter, Serial No.B2402 of No.44 Squadron (HD), operating from Hainault Farm, Essex in 1918. Flown by Captain George Henry Hackwill.
On the night of 28th-29th of January 1918, Capt. Hackwill, flying ‘Comic’ B2402 and with Lt. Charles Chaplin Banks flying B3827, shot down Gotha GV, Serial No.938/16 at Wickford in Essex.

The full build log can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235105113-132nd-scale-sopwith-comic-conversion/page/2/#comment-4352465

As usual I've uploaded to my web site a fully detailed build log (in Adobe PDF format) that can be viewed or download. Just click the PDF icon in Gallery 3.

Thanks for everyone's support and comments - much appreciated,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Who wound have thought that old Tommy Sopwith didn't know how to spell Cosmic?

Your model is a bit special, my old fruit. First off, hacking a WNW kit about takes some bottle. These days it's like converting a Chippendale sideboard into a home entertainment centre, messing with the icon. It's come out marvellously. One can absolutely not see the join.

The figures, that you hardly mention in the WIP, are splendid and full of character. They really bring life and a sense of scale to the diorama. It's elegantly simple but still a diorama to me because there's a story happening here. There's definitely a relationship between the two men. I don't know what they are talking about but my mind is full of speculations.

That propeller. OMG. Speechless.

In fact, ALL the painting. Superb. Personally, I'd have weathered it more and splashed castor oil over everything but that would have ruined it. I see some slight weathering, the wheels for example, which is just enough to make it a bit 'real'. That light touch aside, the style is pure Museum. I mean IWM. This should be in a case in a top museum in London making tourists stare. 

This edition of 'Comic Cuts' is among the top ten of the RFIs I've commented on this year, and I've commented on all of them!