Sukhoi Su-24M Fencer D Weapons Loadout

Tomjw

Hi All,

I've just picked up Trumpeter's 1/48 Su-24 kit and would like to deck her out in a weapons loadout which includes MERs and dumb bombs. What would be a typical loadout covering all weapons stations?

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

Hello Tom!

54 minutes ago, Tomjw said:

What would be a typical loadout covering all weapons stations?

According to book by Efim Gordon and Keith Dexter, the typical Fencer loadout is described like this:

51942830849_3726a83776_k.jpg

• Like 3

I think it depends on where they are serving too.  Su-24's in Syria rarely use precision weapons.  There are a lot of pictures online that show the center pylons loaded up with dumb bombs.

• Like 1

More unguided bombs:

http://oruzhie.info/images/stories/su-24-24m/su-24m-02.jpg

article_5d9a4e03839273_98690172.jpeg

3298749_cgnkddzugaefqz1_jpegdd4646ff696a

mDHK2zR.jpg?1

416574.jpg

f06eb5f3be3b8b7e6166dbebec421d33.jpg

153852_Rossiyskie_samoleti_na_aviabaze_H

368ccde918c5885579c7a942de4a5d24asdasdas

12-4.jpg

%D0%A1%D1%83-24%D0%9C%202-%D0%AD-117.jpg

v2-1.jpg

54_58.jpg

o1-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

58-4.jpg

1296484653.jpg

%D0%A1%D1%83-24%D0%9C+%D1%81+%D0%B1%D0%B

%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%

But, for a splash of exoticism…

Guided bombs:

db61eae4501d2207f13714fe0ab22e30.jpg

91-3.jpg

Air-to-surface rockets (unguided):

374893497c7deb05f212ef1ae86f724b.jpg

0275.jpg

688612.jpg

46-4.jpg

1507843462_img_5007.jpg

5-3.jpg

v1-2.jpg

su-24_10-1.jpg

277452_5_pic_39.jpg

277452_5_pic_40.jpg

A combination of unguided bombs and air-to-surface rockets:

85-2.jpg

93-5.jpg

the-sukhoi-su-24m-supersonic-all-weather

Air-to-surface missiles:

http://авиару.рф/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/9.Su-24M-s-raketami-H-25ML..jpg

DBUKlZfWAAAl7uM?format=jpg&name=small

su_24_10.jpg

5HVeUQn.jpg?1

qs9dHql.jpg?1

29513211_1836397599764574_54363371762372

1039b9c85eb184b1a8e8a011c6e9e4fe--su-air

688611.jpg

2021-02-11_3-696x696.jpg

su3.jpg

Fixing_missiles_to_a_Russian_jet_at_Lata

CQe5v7UW8AIQ3PN?format=jpg&name=medium

CQe5v7TWoAAOGk5?format=jpg&name=medium

o2-1.jpg

perspektivy_su_24m_i_su_25sm.jpg

A combination of unguided bombs and air-to-surface missiles:

http://forums.airforce.ru/attachments/matchast/37485d1333025056-su-24m_800.jpg/

12-1.jpg

28-2.jpg

Air-to-air missiles:

soldier_1448385260.jpg

85-3.jpg

A combination of air-to-air missiles (well, the racks for them, at any rate) and some kind of pod.

v1-1.jpg

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 4

Hello Tom,

I built mine when the kit was first released "some" years ago. Fencer D has high payload on paper (8.000 kg IIRC) but in reality that severely restricts the aircraft's range. Most common war load is four 500 kilogram FAB (Fugasnaja Aviatsija Bomba). Most of the smart weapons seen at air shows are mock-ups and VVS units concentrates on dropping iron bombs when they go for their "Red Flag" exercises into the Live Weapons Range at Astrakhan.

It looks like 60 % of the Trumpeter kit's part frames are for weapons. Despite the huge number of weapons provided you can't build the most common load of four FAB-500s. Those two bombs(!) in the box are also pretty bad examples of FAB-500s. You need to fix them and build the other two out of scratch. Also the adapters for these bombs are out of shape.

An interesting subject would be one the Fencer Ds equipped with the modernized attack suite and avionics. The avionics upgrade package was designed and built by a government company Gefest i T. Their logo is painted on those Fencers carrying the new avionics pack. I haven't checked whether this logo is already available as after market. When I was building my model those planes were mainly based at Russian Air Force Academy at Lipetsk. Note that the "Chemodans" (as SU-24s are called in Russia) based at Lipetsk are kept in fresh paint and clean. Most operational units have now re-painted their SU-24s but normally they are pretty dirty. Especially on the undersides.

I finished my model as "Blue 44" of 67.BAP based at Siiverska Air Base south-west of St Peterburg. The unit moved to Montsegorsk AB near Murmansk some years ago.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomjw said:

Thanks Blimpyboy. Some very interesting loadouts.

You guys have given me much food for thought.

Cheers,

Tom

I hope we are seeing an appropriately armed Fencer here on BM in due course! it is a big kit, maybe you even manage to start a WIP thread! :thumbsup:

:D

• Like 2

Another thing to notice on the pictures is that almost all recent photos show the Su-24 without wing fences.  I built mine of an aircraft serving in Syria and none of them had wing fences so a bit of work was needed to fill the slots but it was easy to do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, exdraken said:

I hope we are seeing an appropriately armed Fencer here on BM in due course! it is a big kit, maybe you even manage to start a WIP thread! :thumbsup:

:D

I think that could definitely be arranged.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Tom,

I built mine when the kit was first released "some" years ago. Fencer D has high payload on paper (8.000 kg IIRC) but in reality that severely restricts the aircraft's range. Most common war load is four 500 kilogram FAB (Fugasnaja Aviatsija Bomba). Most of the smart weapons seen at air shows are mock-ups and VVS units concentrates on dropping iron bombs when they go for their "Red Flag" exercises into the Live Weapons Range at Astrakhan.

It looks like 60 % of the Trumpeter kit's part frames are for weapons. Despite the huge number of weapons provided you can't build the most common load of four FAB-500s. Those two bombs(!) in the box are also pretty bad examples of FAB-500s. You need to fix them and build the other two out of scratch. Also the adapters for these bombs are out of shape.

An interesting subject would be one the Fencer Ds equipped with the modernized attack suite and avionics. The avionics upgrade package was designed and built by a government company Gefest i T. Their logo is painted on those Fencers carrying the new avionics pack. I haven't checked whether this logo is already available as after market. When I was building my model those planes were mainly based at Russian Air Force Academy at Lipetsk. Note that the "Chemodans" (as SU-24s are called in Russia) based at Lipetsk are kept in fresh paint and clean. Most operational units have now re-painted their SU-24s but normally they are pretty dirty. Especially on the undersides.

I finished my model as "Blue 44" of 67.BAP based at Siiverska Air Base south-west of St Peterburg. The unit moved to Montsegorsk AB near Murmansk some years ago.

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Antii,

Thanks for the info. The Fencer is an aircraft I know little about so all information is good.

Yes, I have many Trumpeter kits and they seem to be mostly of weapons with a few aircraft thrown in almost as a bonus 😂. I tend to go for aftermarket weapons, mainly because I hate sorting out the seams. So my spares box will be full of unused weapons which are the wrong shape anyway 🤔 

Thanks again,

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Another thing to notice on the pictures is that almost all recent photos show the Su-24 without wing fences.  I built mine of an aircraft serving in Syria and none of them had wing fences so a bit of work was needed to fill the slots but it was easy to do.

Thanks Harold. I wouldn't have spotted that.

Cheers, 

Tom

Hello Tom & Co.,

The wing fences were a feature of the earlier marks (like SU-24C) and the original export version of SU-24D. They weren't attached into those Ds destined for VVS. The export version had also different attack and avionics suite, so check all references carefully if you choose to model one of these.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:55 AM, Antti_K said:

Hello Tom & Co.,

The wing fences were a feature of the earlier marks (like SU-24C) and the original export version of SU-24D. They weren't attached into those Ds destined for VVS. The export version had also different attack and avionics suite, so check all references carefully if you choose to model one of these.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti. I certainly will check my references.

Cheers,

Tom

On 3/20/2022 at 10:55 AM, Antti_K said:

Hello Tom & Co.,

Cheers,

Antti

Re the wing fences - my understanding is that such things were fitted to keep air in place over the wings at lower speeds/higher angles of attack. They are very large on the 24 suggesting they are very much required - any idea why they would remove them on what appear to be otherwise very similar airframes?

I'm not 100% certain but I think the fences had something to do with the larger weapon pylons used on C -model and export Ds. Such things can cause severe problems with stability. For example MiG-21 which had one of the best aerodynamics ever, became a beast with the center line pylon attached. Everything was pretty smooth if you carried something, but carry an empty CL pylon and the plane wouldn't fly straight. The very same phenomenon occurred with our Learjet 24 equipped for special missions; with an empty center line pylon (even though a small one) the plane was wandering from side to side.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1