Blenheim interior color(s)

Spit Fan

Hi All, I have just started on the 1/48th Airfix Blenheim MK.If and have a question or two on what colors were used in the interior of the wheel wells and engine nacelles? I have the Valiant book (Airframe Album No.5) but the interior images of these areas are of the restored/rebuilt  Blenheim based on a Bolingbroke airframe and I suspect aren’t the original colors. The kit instructions, if I am not mistaken, show everything but the landing gear assembly, which is black, in aluminum. Does this sounds right or am I missing something? 

Also there are colored images of the rebuilt aircraft showing the wooden floor sections in the rear fuselage as clear coated natural wood. Is this just a feature of the restored airframe or were the wooden floor sections on war time Blenheim’s also unpainted?  If so would that apply to the Beaufighter too? 

As always many thanks in advance to any assistance given. John R.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spit Fan said:

The kit instructions, if I am not mistaken, show everything but the landing gear assembly, which is black, in aluminum. Does this sounds right or am I missing something?

No, that sounds right. 

For many many years the prevailing wisdom was that the interior colour of British aircraft was all grey-green,  and this does seem to be the case from some point in the war,  depending on firm and type, from late 1942 to late 1943. 

Before that, cockpits were grey green, and the rest of the internals were aluminium paint.  

It's still a complex subject, and best dealt with on a case by case basis, but it's certainly the case on Hurricanes and Spitfires, and other types as well.

HTH

• Like 1

I have 'access' to a Bolingbroke airframe and seen the various internal surfaces. 

Bare in mind this is a Bristol-Fairchild Bolingbroke, and would have spent a lot of time exposed to light, temperature and weather.

All internal surfaces are, to my eyes, a yellowish green (zinc chromate?), which has faded almost to an olive drab.

The internals that i can see for the engines are aluminium, and the bulkhead again in green.

Engine nacelles and wheel-wells, the parts i have seen are again in green.

Haven't seen inside the rear sections for the wood sorry, although there were a few panels of thin ply in the cockpit.

Now, this doesn't answer your question regards a Bristol built Blenheim, but may explain the colouring you have seen on restored aircraft.

• Like 1

1.          The original intention (1938) for the RCAF’s Bolingbroke I’s was that they would be finished in the standard RCAF scheme for operational aircraft i.e. all over aluminum. However, at some point in 1939 it was decided that they have the same finish as RAF Blenheims. While I no longer can locate the RAF’s reply, I am certain that the interior was to be finished in sage green. What the term “interior”, if indeed that was the word used, comprised, I cannot say. Unfortunately, I cannot locate my ancient notes on the subject, but I am certain that this is correct.

2.         As in the prewar and early wartime years the RCAF was reasonably meticulous in adhering to the colour standards provided, I think it is a fairly safe assumption that the interior colour of the 18 Bolingbroke I’s was very close to the RAF’s “sage green.”

3.         Whether the colours noted by muddyf in his recent post represent a replication/evolution of this scheme as applied to a Bolingbroke IV I cannot say, but it may provide some indication.

4.         Once again, I repeat my offer of any of my Bolingbroke research and image material to anybody out there who is interested. Just PM me.

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to all who replied to my questions on the interior color(s) on the early Blenheim MK.I. Given what I have read here and on other posts I plan on going with Aluminum for the interior of the wheel wells, nacelles/cowls, Interior grey-green for the fuselage and semi gloss black for the landing gear. 

The Airfix 1/48th Blenheim is a lovely kit and I am enjoying the build so much so that  expect there will be another on my work bench in the not too distant future. Now Airfix needs to think about doing the MK.IV!