Tamiya 1/48 Mitsubishi Ki-46 (Dinah) III-Otsu-Hei Boku Sentoki

Just finished my first build of 2022, Tamiya's fantastic 1/48 Mitsubishi Ki-46-III Otsu Hei 'Dinah'

Aircraft "24" belonged to the 16th Dokuritsu Chutai, based at Kiyosu in the summer of 1945. The Chutai was incorporated into homeland defence as the B-29 raids intensified & was equipped with this heavy armed Boku Sentoki (Air defence fighter). The aircraft were armed with twin 20mmm cannons in the nose and an upward firing 37mm cannon mounted in the central fuselage. The units emblem on the tail is the Kikusui (floating chrysanthemum) 

ki46-2

ki46-5

The Tamiya kit is a dream to build with no fit problems at all. Added was the Eduard PE set for the interior as well as their canopy masks. Also used were the Quickboost exhausts & their upgraded 20mm & 37mm guns. Brake lines were added with copper wire & the aerial wire is MIG rigging. The majority of the paint used throughout are SMS, mixing some custom colours where required, in particular the topside green to achieve the right tone. Pigments were used for the exhaust & walkway stains. All markings were painted on accept for the unit marking on the tail which is the Tamiya decal. The build thread can be found here :

Here are the pictures of the finished kit :

IMG_4570

IMG_4571

IMG_4572

IMG_4573

IMG_4574

IMG_4575

IMG_4576

IMG_4578

IMG_4579

IMG_4584

IMG_4585

IMG_4580

IMG_4581

IMG_4582

IMG_4583

IMG_4367

IMG_4369

IMG_4469

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic! :goodjob:

one little weathering detail that you could still add, odd as it may seem, and I only found out from post by pilots on here,  prop blades weather most on the back,  as is visible here, you can see how the paint has bee scuffed off the tips..

51940733497_d076ab7e3c_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Gidday, she's a very streamlined aircraft - or would have been if it wasn't for that dirty great ugly cannon sticking up out of the roof! 😁 Seriously, I think she's a beautiful aircraft and you've done a very nice build of her. Good weathering but not too excessive.    Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

one little weathering detail that you could still add, odd as it may seem, and I only found out from post by pilots on here,  prop blades weather most on the back,  as is visible here, you can see how the paint has bee scuffed off the tips..

Thanks Troy. Great tip on the prop blades and I hope prop modellers take note as that is 100% correct. I did actually do this on my blades though the pics don't show it. I love the silver that I use on my kits but it only reflects when light is directly on it, otherwise it blends with paint around it quite well.  Here is a pic from the build process after I had painted the blades. I could have weathered them a touch more but didn't want to take them over the edge.

IMG_4444

16 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, she's a very streamlined aircraft - or would have been if it wasn't for that dirty great ugly cannon sticking up out of the roof! 😁 Seriously, I think she's a beautiful aircraft and you've done a very nice build of her. Good weathering but not too excessive.    Regards, Jeff.

Haha, good point. The attacker version of the Dinah didn't achieve the same sort of performance as the recon version, though just as pretty in my eyes anyways.

14 hours ago, russ c said:

Great looking Dinah there, really nice work

13 hours ago, Roberto said:

Beautiful work, bravo 👍

13 hours ago, MVTB said:

Like it a lot.Congrats!

11 hours ago, Autle said:

That is a cracking little model, well done. Weathering is spot on.

10 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

That is a cracking build. I'm inspired to have a go at my japanes aircraft currently in the stash.

Pete

8 hours ago, Murewa said:

Dang, that's nice! 

8 hours ago, Wlad said:

Very nice indeed. Well done.

Wlad

Thanks for very kind words guys. It was a labour of lover this one. 

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 3:47 PM, Troy Smith said:

I do agree. An easy way to do it is to use a paste like Rub'n'Buff the dry brush way. It works wonder! Cheers and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Fantastic paint work. I’m about to start my version of this and chewed through your thread this morning for inspiration . 🙌

a stunning looking aircraft bought to life beautifully. Bravo. 

Johnny

Many thanks and hopefully this one can inspire your build. Though I love the interceptor, the command recon is just so sleek & sexy. I built the recon version in 1/72 which may also give you some idea's

13 hours ago, Joao Augusto said:

Beautiful Ki-46, congrats!

Many thanks, much appreciated

• Thanks 1

Must have missed this when it was originally posted.  I am glad it came back for a look/see.  Great looking Dinah and the finish is so well done.  Thanks for sharing it again.