1/72nd Airfix Lancaster Mk.II

tonyot

Hiya Folks,..... I might jump in with this one if it is OK,..... although the interior parts are mostly pre painted, I have otherwise not touched it yet;

DSCF3369.jpg

DSCF3373.jpg

DSCF3375.jpg

I also have this Revell kit combined with the CMR conversion set,.... although it may be too far gone as I recently closed the fuselage halves,.... I may just utilise some decals? ;

DSCF3377.jpg

Although the CMR conversion set was designed for the Revell kit,.... the Mk.II style resin bomb bay doors are too short and not deep enough, so will need some work,...... here they are compared with the Revell bomb doors and the separate Airfix doors on the right hand side. 

DSCF3382.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

On 16/03/2022 at 14:05, tonyot said:

I also have this Revell kit combined with the CMR conversion set,.... although it may be too far gone as I recently closed the fuselage halves,.... I may just utilise some decals? ;

DSCF3377.jpg

Ehhhh looks about 25% done to me, if you want to add this to the group build go for it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ehhhh looks about 25% done to me, if you want to add this to the group build go for it.

Thanks Adam. 

Well I got a full day in today, so with a box set on the telly and a brew,...... I started off with the cockpit and interior;

DSCF3385.jpg

All I added was a set of etched brass seat straps on the pilots seat;

DSCF3391.jpg

DSCF3390.jpg

DSCF3393.jpg

Then with all of the windows added,..... and then masked off (as it was easier to mask them now, without the danger of poking them inside later),..... the fuselage halves were joined and the wheel well construction began. I also drilled out the windows for the roof escape hatches plus the hole for the camera hatch under the nose;

DSCF3395.jpg

DSCF3397.jpg

Then the upper wing halves were attached,..... with a fresh brew added to the table!;

DSCF3399.jpg

DSCF3400.jpg

The the lower wing halves were added too;

DSCF3402.jpg

Followed by the tail feathers,... and the fairing around the mid upper gun position;

DSCF3404.jpg

DSCF3407.jpg

Next onto the engines and nacelles,...... the propeller hubs are beautifully detailed and it will be a shame to hide them underneath spinners,..... although some Mk.II`s did fly without spinners;

DSCF3409.jpg

Nacelles fitted to the model;

DSCF3413.jpg

Then on with the engines and the cowlings, with their intakes and exhausts;

DSCF3414.jpg

DSCF3420.jpg

And the engines and cowlings test fitted to the model,..... note the lack of filler (so far),...... this kit is engineered beautifully, although I may fill in some of the panel lines?;

DSCF3422.jpg

DSCF3423.jpg

So that is it for now,...... sanding next after it has been left for a day or so for the glue to dry properly. As I said, I may add some filler to some panel lines, especially those under the cockpit area. As with the Merlin engined boxing,....l can highly recommend this kit,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

And here are a few reference pics, including some Lanc`s which are the subject of decal options available in both kits;

lanc-mk-ii-425-sqn.jpg

Lancaster-Mk-II-Fanny-Ferlin-II.jpg

tumblr-lb0p6zb-CVg1qzsgg9o1-500.jpgAvro-Lancaster-II-235-Page-20-960.jpgZOMBIE.jpg

lanc-2.jpg866bc80178168cae2e71fb2a56fd9fd7-nose-ar

guiver-lanc-crew-2-poss-115-sqn-melton-m

lanc-2.jpg

And they were used in various test roles into the post war years too;

35ff318332483b6d11722ae8928e2906.jpg

And a generic Lanc pic, a useful top view of the cockpit in the IWM London;

detail-lanc-01.jpg

Cheers

Tony,

• Like 5

On 3/16/2022 at 6:16 PM, dogsbody said:

Chair pulled up and coffee brewing. 

With the speed that he's building this at, I'll be in the garden digging an Anderson shelter!

Makes a nice change to see a Mark 2. Much as I love the sound of four Merlins together...

That's a great set of pictures. I wonder if the Metrovic engined version will inspire @Head in the clouds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

A few more B.II photos, just because.

49560931598_6981b7f7f5_b.jpg

49138076471_ba1b570ba3_b.jpg

49561444491_33f45539db_b.jpg

49138272962_dbc199d161_b.jpg

49138076366_70555b3c2b_b.jpg

Chris

Great pics Chris,..... I do like the one where the exhaust ring has graffitti scrored into the paint,..... or delivery instruction for a spare part? 

• Like 2