JML mighty sight glasses.

Markh-75

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZX5DQB5/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

Ordered a set of these at teatime, I need something I can do fine line painting and edges without bringing over the big magnifier/lamp over each time, there are many painting jobs that I like to hold in my hands and paint and the whole aircraft might be a bit bulky behind the magnifier, the glasses should be fine! My lighting is good but these have lights of their own that I can recharge. Should be here before the end of the week; I'll let you know how I get on with them.😉

Screenshot-2022-03-15-at-21-28-11.png

I've seen these advertised on the TV.

They don't seem much better than one of those magnifiers (the white ones with arms or a headband) with interchangeable lenses (that most of us probably have) that cost less or about the same a you've paid.  Being USB rechargeable probably isn't as good as it sounds - because you'll likely have a job replacing the battery when it dies.  And your magnification is fixed to 160% - that's only 1.6x by my faulty maths, the lenses that come with those magnifiers go up to 3.5x.

Good luck though, JML products tend to have a reputation, of being solutions looking for a problem, over-promising, over-priced and under-delivering - I looked at getting one of their cool cube things, and apparently you may as well have someone stand and blow on you...

Edited by RobL
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZX5DQB5/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

Ordered a set of these at teatime, I need something I can do fine line painting and edges without bringing over the big magnifier/lamp over each time, there are many painting jobs that I like to hold in my hands and paint and the whole aircraft might be a bit bulky behind the magnifier, the glasses should be fine! My lighting is good but these have lights of their own that I can recharge. Should be here before the end of the week; I'll let you know how I get on with them.😉

Screenshot-2022-03-15-at-21-28-11.png

Can't wear these when wearing prescription glasses so of no use to a large proportion of the population.

2 hours ago, RobL said:

looked at getting one of their cool cube things, and apparently you may as well have someone stand and blow on you...

Not familiar with the JML cool cube but Aldi/Lidl sold something similar sounding last year. Essentially a low voltage PC fan, blowing across filter paper kept damp by a reservoir of water. As the water evaporates cools the air, much more efective than just a fan.

3 hours ago, RobL said:

I've seen these advertised on the TV.

They don't seem much better than one of those magnifiers (the white ones with arms or a headband) with interchangeable lenses (that most of us probably have) that cost less or about the same a you've paid.  Being USB rechargeable probably isn't as good as it sounds - because you'll likely have a job replacing the battery when it dies.  And your magnification is fixed to 160% - that's only 1.6x by my faulty maths, the lenses that come with those magnifiers go up to 3.5x.

Good luck though, JML products tend to have a reputation, of being solutions looking for a problem, over-promising, over-priced and under-delivering - I looked at getting one of their cool cube things, and apparently you may as well have someone stand and blow on you...

I have one of those; didnt do me alot of good either. I just opened the window and turned the fan on for a few mins!😂

Boots sell individual spectacles at a range of magnifications for £15 each.  Cheaper than a fancy headband with a range of magnifications.  You do have to wear them instead of your prescription ones. so may not go high enough.  if you need lights built into your spectacles then you're probably better off with a stronger desk light anyway.

45 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Boots sell individual spectacles at a range of magnifications for £15 each.  Cheaper than a fancy headband with a range of magnifications.  You do have to wear them instead of your prescription ones. so may not go high enough.  if you need lights built into your spectacles then you're probably better off with a stronger desk light anyway.

How is that cheaper, if you're paying £15 per magnification!  I paid less than £14 for my magnifier with a range of magnifications.

One like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifier-Bweissth-Lighted-Magnifying-Headband/dp/B08ZNNKL82/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1L67OR5IAPBJO&keywords=head+magnifier&qid=1647465583&sprefix=head+magnifi%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-21

I use it when painting miniature figures - which is most of the time.

Granted I don't wear normal glasses, for reading or general sight, so I don't know how well they would sit over them.

1 hour ago, Circloy said:

Can't wear these when wearing prescription glasses so of no use to a large proportion of the population.

Not familiar with the JML cool cube but Aldi/Lidl sold something similar sounding last year. Essentially a low voltage PC fan, blowing across filter paper kept damp by a reservoir of water. As the water evaporates cools the air, much more efective than just a fan.

Yeah, it's not actually called "cool cube", it's called Air Max or something.  There are various versions by various companies.  In the UK, when it's very humid, like it was summer before last, the water can't evaporate well, so they're nearly useless.   You'd actually be better off sitting with your feet in a bowl of cold water.  It's a more effective heat exchanger.

Edited by RobL

43 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

You can get them even cheaper (£2.99 I think) at Aldi or Lidl every so often - up to 3.5x magnification. But for me it's too inconvenient to keep switching from my normal prescription to magnifiers. The beauty of the headband ones is you can wear them with glasses and just flip the lens out the way. In fact I use them as sort if a reversed bifocal - look straight ahead for magnified and down a bit for my normal glasses. Sounds weird but you just get used to it.

I agree that I don't find the built in lights much help, and took the batteries out of mine so they are a bit lighter on the nose. 

If I didn't wear glasses I would probably go for standard magnifiers as they would be more comfortable to wear, but the head band types are a real boon for those of us that do wear spectacles.

Cheers

Colin

OK, a few points to answer.  I find it easier to change frames than wear a headband, particularly the quite heavy version I have, which cost considerably more that £15.  There is  no need to buy a set of magnifications, but only one of the higher ones.  If you can then get them even cheaper from other stores., so much the better.

I have tried using a combined magnifier/anglepoise lamp, but found it clumsy to use and it got in the way of the paintbrush.  I have tried flip-up lenses that fit on my standard frame, but found them unpleasant to wear.  I have tried a pair of light frames fitting over my standard set, with flip-up exchangeable clip in lenses, and found those very useful, and my preferred choice.  (If only I could find where I put them...)   However I already had some Boots frames from when I had my cataracts removed, but then had to wait through the first Covid lockdown before being able to get a proper set of bifocals.  So I have tried a wide range of options, of which the head-band came out last in ease/comfort and highest in price, the single high-powered simple frame workable and the cheapest.  Others obviously come to different conclusions

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I have tried a pair of light frames fitting over my standard set, with flip-up exchangeable clip in lenses, and found those very useful, and my preferred choice.

Yes these are the type I use. Sorry for any confusion - I call them headband types because I use the optional headband that came with them. The first set I had I used with the standard frames, but the hinges soon broke. Used with a headband they last longer.

Just to be clear, this is what I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AL2YAQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I particularly like is you get no reduction in field of vision unlike the optivisor style magnifiers

Cheers

Colin

Those look considerably heavier than mine: Having ploughed through Amazon the closest i can find to mine are on page 7 (naturally!) and are the Levenhuk Zeno Vizor G3 Hands Free Magnifying Glasses with LED and 5-Step Magnification :  Mine don't have the LED, so I suppose that these have replaced them in production.