Dornier 27A-1 Portuguese Air Force.

Hello all, this is the latest from the shed. A fabulous kit with every part falling together and lots of marking choices on the decal sheet prited by Cartograf. I chose the Portuguese version just because I haven’t made many aircraft used by this country and I liked the large emblem on the side.

The aircraft was designed by Claudius Dornier after moving to Spain post WW2. Then after the Dornier works were rebuilt in Germany the aircraft was assembled there, 428 being built and supplied to users all over the world.

The model depicts an aircraft from Sintra A/F Base, Portuguese Air Force. Its painted with my first go at using Colour Coats paints. As they are matt this involves using gloss varnish prior to decaling then matt/semi varnish to finish.

The only difficult part of the build was getting the yellow spiral decal onto the prop boss. Lovely little kit!

Hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Pete 🇺🇦

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Beautifully done 👍

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, kev67 said:

Great model Pete, Special Hobby do some nice kits, I have the Casa 212, which is also very nice and fairly easy to build

Many thanks. I'm a great fan of Special Hobby and have been thinking of getting the Casa myself. I have the Pembroke and may start that next. German or Belgian I think🤔.

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Yes, I do like it. A sparkling little gem!

Cheers Bertie.

Hi Pete

If you do get the Casa 212, from my build experience, I would make sure that plenty of tabs are cemented on the inside of the fuselage edges especially underneath as there no locating pins, as this is the weak part of the kit, apart from that it goes together really well

• Thanks 1

On 17/03/2022 at 00:08, luis pacheco said:

Nice one

Thanks Luis, it's always nice to hear from someone who comes from the country of the subject model. Ive just had a look at the Azorean site, there are some real beauties on there. I particularly liked the Hurricane which I didnt realise were used by the  Portuguese Air Force.

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thanks Luis, it's always nice to hear from someone who comes from the country of the subject model. Ive just had a look at the Azorean site, there are some real beauties on there. I particularly liked the Hurricane which I didnt realise were used by the  Portuguese Air Force.

Thanks.

Portugal has also used Spitfires Mk.I and Vb. 

• Like 1

Hello Pete.

Beautiful build of a past little true Workhorse of the Portuguese Air force in the African conflits.

Have that one in my stash too.

Here are some more photos of portuguese planes in Africa (incluiding Do-27´s) for more inspiration.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPPYibjKT9C6tYCvbMVJD55zEjRvhkGv4IcGgnYdKA6IHRJdq7LDAY5MxvUuJOumQ?key=emNkYllqVVZHTDluSHAxYnhwLUpWU09xdUtoV1ln

Cheers!!

FB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work and beautifully finished.

It's nice to see one in the colours of my country.

This aircraft is on display in the Museu do Ar in Sintra. I took this photo below (and others) of it when I was there in August 2019.

AM-JKLUZVrp9s-yntNfjr78uw5VfnR_VW1eLW5yN

I too have this kit in my stash and am glad to know it goes together well. I hope it comes out as nicely as yours when I get round to it. Following my visits to the museums in Sintra and Alverca (in 2018), I have been adding several FAP types to my stash but have been sidetracked by other projects :rolleyes:!

Miguel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Borgao said:

Hello Pete.

Beautiful build of a past little true Workhorse of the Portuguese Air force in the African conflits.

Have that one in my stash too.

Here are some more photos of portuguese planes in Africa (incluiding Do-27´s) for more inspiration

Obrigado FB.

Thanks for the link to the photos too, there are are some fantastic shots there ( low level Harvard😮). Now I really fancy doing a Noratlas if I can lay my hands on one.

10 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely work and beautifully finished.

Obrigado Miguel

That's a fine shot of 3357 you've taken, really nice to see a picture of the actual aircraft.

• Like 2

Beautiful build of this lovely aircraft ( and kit )

Back in the day the local flying club had every summer an open door weekend and two Dorniers were always present.

These were two ex Luftwaffe aircraft in their old livery. A great sight !

• Thanks 1