Nunu Audi Sport Quattro S1 .

This week I have been mostly decaling up the Audi . The Reji decals are thick and even with near boiling water take a bit of persuasion to leave their backing paper . They go down easily though , cutting to fit around the bonnet vents being the biggest headache . The brown of the Audi Sport stripes is browner than I remember, it always usually seems more black on research pictures .  Camera makes it look darker though . 

Decaling in full swing 

52031780249_9be47a517f_c_d.jpg

Ready for some lacquer before glazing begins .  The door number backing is a bit more see through than I would have liked too . 
52037769961_33d227d139_c_d.jpg
52038288720_2a40647ac5_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Joanna said:

Looking Great! I might have to put this in the list of models to buy and build. I've always loved rally!

Thanks Joanna . This kit has come alive with its “ face “ ( and proper headlights ) and the decals . 
Gary .

• Like 1

There’s no window masks included with the Quattro , but there are decals that are used on the inside of the windows to replicate the window frame rubbers . These are very thin and awkward in shape . I wasn’t looking forward to using them to be honest . 
52038104583_9536c15baf_c_d.jpg

But I persevered , cutting the decals into more manageable pieces and this is the end result  . There is etching on the glass so you know where to position the decal too . 

52038053686_48e8f5ae66_c_d.jpg

I had to label the inside of the windows as the instructions complicated it and oddly there are no decals for the windscreen . They still needed the edges doing with a Sharpie , but all in all I think these decals worked well . Maybe the future of the dreaded window edging ? 
  The front corner vents I filled with white painted mesh . The black painted squares are cut outs on the real cars , I think , for the spotlight wires to poke through .

52050563235_bd5e0c131b_c_d.jpg

And a couple of the car nearly done , with all decals and windows in . As per usual with me , I leave the drivers window out so the interior detail can be viewed easily . 
52050102958_0565b50d3a_c_d.jpg

52050562980_5295164c74_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Spiny said:

That's a nice idea having the window rubbers as decals, and judging by this it seems to work very well.

I think they could do to be a bit wider as , like I mentioned , I still had to fill in with a pen , but at least I had a clean edge to work against . 
Gary .

Thats pretty standard window treatment with nunu kits ime. I did a BMW M6 GT3 a couple of years ago and it came with decals for the window edges that from memory went down alright in the end. I think all of the nunu decals come via SK decals and I haven't had issues using them on other kits including a car that should soon be ready for a rif thread but has no build thread because I wasn't posting on here at the time.

Your build is looking good though.

• Like 1

I've also just finished catching up Gary, somehow yours was another thread I didn't get a notification for. Still it was an enjoyable read and the car is looking great! :)

Strange about the Reji decals being thick. Although I have a few sheets in stock I've only used them on one build so far - a Winfield sponsored Scooby - and they were the exact opposite as they were incredibly thin, came off the backing sheet almost instantly even in cold water, and stuck like limpets as soon as they touched the model and were almost impossible to move then without tearing! 

Your brush painting of the yellow stripes is very impressive! I try not to do much brush painting as I'm pretty rubbish at it, but one thing I find helps minimise bleed under masking tape is to brush paint some clear along the edges which helps to seal them. 

Keith

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 6:52 PM, desert falcon said:

Just caught up on your WIP Gary and your S1 is coming together really nicely 👍  

Not much to do now before it‘s done, or?

Thanks . It's not far off now , just the spotlights to add on .

On 5/6/2022 at 10:52 PM, keefr22 said:

I've also just finished catching up Gary, somehow yours was another thread I didn't get a notification for. Still it was an enjoyable read and the car is looking great! :)

Strange about the Reji decals being thick. Although I have a few sheets in stock I've only used them on one build so far - a Winfield sponsored Scooby - and they were the exact opposite as they were incredibly thin, came off the backing sheet almost instantly even in cold water, and stuck like limpets as soon as they touched the model and were almost impossible to move then without tearing! 

Your brush painting of the yellow stripes is very impressive! I try not to do much brush painting as I'm pretty rubbish at it, but one thing I find helps minimise bleed under masking tape is to brush paint some clear along the edges which helps to seal them. 

Keith

With only a small area to paint , I tried , successfully,  to brush paint the yellow  . Saved on masking tape at least !

Gary

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FunkyChiken said:

Cool build, agree with the comments on the window trim decals, it's a million times better than trying to paint them by hand... 

Don't know why it's not been done long ago , even if you have to finish off with a brush/pen . 

Gary 

These are the last build shots of the Audi before I move it over to the RIP section. It’s appropriate that it’s a 1985 Portuguese Rally depiction as the current Portuguese Rally is on this weekend and they are also celebrating 50 years of  the World Rally Championship too . 
  The final touches included moving the co drivers seat back , which maybe can be seen here

52052211086_9c7e908eb1_c_d.jpg

The sump guards are painted white, but I have deliberately left them not quite finished , to create a used look .Both are blue tacked into place so they can be removed to admire the suspension ! The front one is huge , big enough to create downforce !

52051158482_ba24eed95b_c_d.jpg

And here she is finally on her wheels . The tyres are slicks as the Portuguese Rally back then was both tarmac and gravel stages . A blob of washing up liquid allowed the wheels to slide on easily , although this is always a heart stopping procedure !

52052210886_d70770732f_c_d.jpg

I used a green pen on the inside of the windscreen to make a sun strip . The windscreen fasteners I delicately painted silver . 
52089473690_fee0cf7829_c_d.jpg

It wouldn’t be a rally Audi without a full set of spotlights. These are with the kit , are all chrome and we’re a nightmare to paint and assemble !  I think they are intended for the winged S1 so I had to make them fit , which I achieved using magnets . There are covers and lenses for all 6 lights , so the combination is up to the builder . This is the first time I have used magnets and I couldn’t believe how powerful they are ! The Audi rings on the grille are metal , but a decal and I found a blob of glue held them in place better . 
52088995848_002f9e8787_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking and following this build . 
Gary . 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Oh no - hope you haven't killed it..... :whistle:

Because it's far too good for that - cracking job again Gary!

Keith

RIP group B 

RFI Audi Sport quattro S1  !!!

Thanks Keith  !

Gary 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windy37 said:

It’s appropriate that it’s a 1985 Portuguese Rally depiction as the current Portuguese Rally is on this weekend

Don't know if you've seen this Gary, if not it's an entertaining 5 minutes!

Keith

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Don't know if you've seen this Gary, if not it's an entertaining 5 minutes!

Keith

Just watched the Fafe video , Keith . Amazing to see A ; how far the current rally cars fly compared to even 15 - 20 years ago

B ; the mad spectators casually stepping out the of way of a landing car 20 years ago !!

Gary

• Like 1

Seems to have come together very quickly at the end, Looks great, I look forward to the RFI or RIP :)

I didn't know the trick with washing up liquid on the wheels, that's a good one.

• Like 2