PK-22 P-47D Thunderbolt - FINISHED

As a break from the AFVs I thought I'd have a go at this one. It'll just be an out of the box build, same as it was when I first did one of these in the 1970s. The decals look ok-ish, but I may go down the aftermarket route as there are so many other great marking options out there.   

spacer.png

• Like 12

Great choice, and for once the colors aren't the stuff nightmares are made of!!!!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The parts have been cut out, cleaned up and a few areas undercoated with Tamiya German Grey - it didn't take long:

spacer.png 

Something I never had to worry about in the days when I first built this kit is choosing the decals. Although happy with a quick OOB build, because it's almost half a century later and we're spoilt for choice I'm already agonising over the paint scheme. I have some Kits World decals which I was keeping for my Tamiya P-47, but that build has stalled. And there are the quite nice Tamiya decals themselves. I've also got a Techmod set on the way, possibly now for the Tamiya Jug. So what to use on this? I'm tempted to just try the kit transfers, which will give me an opportunity to paint some invasion stripes! 😬   

spacer.png

Another way the modern modelling world is intruding is the paint. Why am I worrying about whether the inside of the cowling should be neutral grey, interior green or natural metal? I went through all that with the Tamiya P-47 and that's still just stuck in a box...  😄 Anyway, instead of my more usual Tamiya paints I may try out this set which I've had stashed away for a while:   

sqjjEQ5h.jpg

• Like 10

So good to see you build something with wings Ian and it will be great to see your skills brought out to the fore with this Matchbox Jug. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The P47 Razorback looks so much better than the bubbletop. Not too many currently available choices in 1/72, mainly the overpriced Tamiya. Would love to get hold of this kit myself. I've a bunch of 4th FG  Debden Eagles decals waiting to be used. They flew the P47 for a short time  between the Mk5 Spitfire and the Mustang.

Good luck with this..

derek

• Like 1

The P-47 takes shape. The main components have been assembled with just a bit of filler required. I also got on with painting the prop and the rather heavy canopy framework:

spacer.png

Bill and Ben the Thunderbolt Men. The distinctive Matchbox pilot figure that we know and love is going to be replaced by this Airfix chap from the spares box. It seems like a betrayal but I need someone slightly more realistic to help fill that cavernous cockpit:

spacer.png

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Galligraphics said:

I hadn’t realised just how detailed the modern Airfix WW2 pilot figures were! 

He's good, isn't he? I don't know which kit he's from - possibly the Blenheim or Hurri. Although clearly Airfix in style, he's slightly bulkier and better defined than some of the others.

• Like 2

Coming along pretty good. Iam just about to start a Hasegawa P 47 D; when I can get my act together. The Vallejo paint sets are great to work with. I have three and they dont seem to muck up that often. Are you doing anything with the cockpit? I see in pictures its that crazy zinc chromate yellow/green something or other colour. The Tamiya set of decals, that you have, are similar to the ones I have; I was going to do the Little Cheif version in Olive Drab. good luck with the build. Ill be looking in to see how you are getting on. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, Valleyforge said:

Coming along pretty good. Iam just about to start a Hasegawa P 47 D; when I can get my act together. The Vallejo paint sets are great to work with. I have three and they dont seem to muck up that often. Are you doing anything with the cockpit? I see in pictures its that crazy zinc chromate yellow/green something or other colour. The Tamiya set of decals, that you have, are similar to the ones I have; I was going to do the Little Cheif version in Olive Drab. good luck with the build. Ill be looking in to see how you are getting on. 

spacer.png

Thanks. No, I'm leaving the cockpit as is. I think the colour should be dark green so I'll just paint it and stick the Airfix bod in - the canopy is so thick you can't see much anyway.

I remember doing that Hasegawa kit myself, many a year ago. 👍

• Like 3

A bit more progress today. The undersides have been painted with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey, a few other bits and bobs done and the pilot finished:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

Finished second, judging by the silver medal round his neck.                      :coat:

/P

Haha! And you've highlighted an error there as I don't think the quick release buckle - the silver medal - was a feature of USAAF parachute harnesses. But this RAF chap came, I think, from an Airfix Blenheim and he'll certainly not be complaining at the extra horsepower. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

It's still an ace bit of paintwork: good colour tones and incredibly neat..  How did you manage to outline the seatbelts?

Cheers. I paint the line as neatly as I can, then tighten each edge separately by re-applying the lighter colour as close as possible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/03/2022 at 18:37, IanC said:

A bit more progress today. The undersides have been painted with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey, a few other bits and bobs done and the pilot finished:

spacer.png

Wow, that pilot looks alive. Fantastic paint job just on him!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Thanks 1

The Jug is done and was rolled out of the hangar this morning for its first engine test (with a bit of help from a hairdryer...). It's finished as 'Triss', the aircraft flown by 1st Lt Anthony Carcione of 62nd FS, 56th FG. The aircraft was later transferred to a training squadron and written off. Sadly, Lt Carcione himself was killed in action on 8 March 1944.

I used Tamiya XF-62 for the OD upper surfaces, with a dilute overspray of Vallejo 71.316 Dark Olive Drab to vary the tones, although it's not that visible in the photos. The Kits World decals I used are a bit inaccurate as the fuselage art is oversized, and the stars and bars lack red outlines - these were taken from a Microscale sheet. I had to use copious amounts of Microsol to get them to settle over those raised panel lines!

spacer.png

spacer.png

This aircraft featured massive stars and bars under both wings to aid identification: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

• IanC changed the title to PK-22 P-47D Thunderbolt - FINISHED