M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight" - *FINISHED*

Geo1966

16 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

We have a hull, well a tub. I thought i might have the problem you sometimes get where the side walls end up at an angle, but no such problems with Tamiya.

4yLo1FX.jpg

George

Its a well engineered kit 👍

Finally an update. I have been plugging away but had family visits, house stuff, oh and work getting in the way.

Anyway most of the construction is done. Still need to do the hatches, but need to sort out which figures i am going to use first, so thats the next job.

Also need to sort out the 'luggage rack', light guards and the engine deck handles.

REaMnhW.jpg

I am also in the process of making the Academy US machine gun set 50 Cal as it looks a bit more detailed than the one Tamiya provide.

Do i need to cut down the flash eliminator or is that right? Just it looks quite a bit bigger than the Tamiya one?

5nuKxhv.jpg

George

• Like 5

I’ve come to the realisation that my eyes, club fingers and patience are not up to PE apart from the bigger pieces. Shame, but there is no point getting annoyed and this taking the enjoyment from the hobby for me. Also, when you look at some parts (especially from newer kits like this Tamiya Sherman) it makes me wonder if the PE is really needed in some areas.

The Voyager part which needs all the bends is 13mm long, the Tamiya part is in the pink circle and looks good to my dodgy eyes!

6bjdvUj.jpg

BTW I do realise that PE can really enhance a model and I take my hat off to people who can do it. I often look at others work with my chin on the floor at how people can do such detailing, sadly it is beyond me.

George

• Like 9

Sometimes the peices are so small that I don't even see how removing them from the fret is possible! 

But with larger pieces which require folding, it is nice when they have a suitable plastic piece as well. However like anything, practice is the key. So I recommend you at least try  making the pieces to get practice.

If you use your hobby knife as an edge to fold against, using tweezers, or a toothpick to roll against to create a curve, it can be quite satisfying. Also you can use acrylic clear tamiya or Gunze as a glue for itsy bitsy little peices. For sure I am not a master but I have gotten better by trying each time to use as much PE as possible. It doesn't always work but it's ok. (Actually it's super frustrating but you know... 🤣)

I've also heard about annealing the fret using a lighter to make it more plyable and less springy but I don't thinkI have ever tried it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like good progress to me with your build. I agree with Dennis with regards the barrel end. As to PE; I only ever use the parts I feel comfortable using, but I agree with arfa1983, it's worth practicing with some bits, even if you don't end up using them. I use a lot more PE than I used to, but that down to practicing with it. I do agree, though,  that sometimes the PE isn't worth the effort as the kit part isn't that bad.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like good progress to me with your build. I agree with Dennis with regards the barrel end. As to PE; I only ever use the parts I feel comfortable using, but I agree with arfa1983, it's worth practicing with some bits, even if you don't end up using them. I use a lot more PE than I used to, but that down to practicing with it. I do agree, though,  that sometimes the PE isn't worth the effort as the kit part isn't that bad.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, you and @arfa1983 have guilted me in to trying some PE. I have made a little box. No idea what it is for? Any ideas?

AsYW0KU.jpg

gm495QK.jpg

George

• Like 5

Had quite a good weekend at the bench and things are coming on. At the stage where progress doesn't really show on the Sherman. So here is the current crew.

ao7uj6B.jpg

Bugger they look rough in close up!!! Anyway, meet 'Fingers' on the left (as he has lost a thumb) and 'stern Vern' as he looks miserable! 'Fingers' is a bit tall as he has borrowed some legs from somewhere else. He also borrowed an arm! The band around his waist is tamiya tape to replace the bottom of his jacket. Hopefully they will look better with some paint! 🙄

George

• Like 4

Nice work with the pe box!

If you're planning or thinking of doing anymore pe I can recommend getting a hold and fold type device,  really handy if doing longer folds. Annealing as @arfa1983suggested is a good idea too.

However, as has already been mentioned, some pe parts arn't actually as good as the plastic original that its designed to replace... 

My take on pe sets just be very selective what parts you use and don't feel obliged to use more than you want to.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi George. Nice work with the PE box!! But sorry, no idea what it was originally for! Those figures will be fine with some paint on.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Good work George with the box, just keep having a go with the bits of PE that you can do, eventually it does get a little easier, not a lot, but easier. Those figures will look fine, well done...

Ed

• Thanks 1

Your PE work is looking great, no worries there.

Good luck with the figures, armour really benefits from them but I can't get them looking even vaguely human!

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Also the crew are looking a bit better with an undercoat!

The guy on the right looks as though he's got a strop on (from my 40+ years of marriage experience)

• Haha 2

On 05/04/2022 at 07:47, Geo1966 said:

I have tried a few more bits.

Hi George. I'd say you are doing a great job with the PE parts! And the figures are looking good too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

On 03/04/2022 at 20:00, Geo1966 said:

I have made a little box. No idea what it is for? Any ideas?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but I had trouble finding the purpose of that box in my references.  It was for a first aid kit, I found a picture in my Squadron/Signal Sherman walk around book.

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but I had trouble finding the purpose of that box in my references.  It was for a first aid kit, I found a picture in my Squadron/Signal Sherman walk around book.

Morning Bob, no need to appologise. Thanks for the info. I am hoping it doesn't need a red cross on it as i dont have one.

George

• Like 1

Bit all over the place at the moment. Anyway i am making progress, but with no logic in the order i am doing things. Nobody would believe i used to be a Project Manager!

9VAHULh.jpg

So 'Fingers' has a new right had as the previous one looked like he had a mitten on, he also has a PE waist band which looks better than the previous tape. Also found out that CA De-bonder is good at stripping paint! 😱

The blob in the middle will be the driver (obviously he needs a head). The stroppy guy (as Bob calls him) has had a base coat.

In terms of the main even, i.e. the Sherman I got some thinner copper as Lee (Longbow) suggested and have done the hatches and lift handles.

Next i need to add the tools, maybe a tow cable and then sort out some stowage.

George

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I am hoping it doesn't need a red cross on it as i dont have one.

Your Sherman and figures are looking good, as for a red cross on the first aid storage box, I have not seen one on the outside of the box, If I find photo that does I'll let you know.  :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2022 at 09:13, Geo1966 said:

but with no logic in the order i am doing things. Nobody would believe i used to be a Project Manager!

Sometimes that's what makes a good project Manager. I've found that things very rarely go to the best laid plans.

Good to see more progress and looking good.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Starting to get somewhere now. Think I have pretty much finished the assembly. Having had a try with the PE I now wish I had at least had a go at the light guards. Oh well maybe on the next build.

TOW chain and stowage to add (think I said that last time) then I think I am ready for paint.

bVdJUgq.jpg

PJLr0Ek.jpg

I have a confession……………….I have never built a Sherman before. I know, shame on me. Anyway, I am surprised at how big they were, guess I thought they were a bit bigger than a Stuart. More like twice the size.

OAkQ3Sa.jpg

Not much progress on the figures, but they are ready to have their faces painted. I saw a really easy way to do them on YouTube rather than all of the usual faffing around, so might give it a try. If it works, I will let you know, if not I am back to the usual faffing around 😬

George

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Not much progress on the figures, but they are ready to have their faces painted. I saw a really easy way to do them on YouTube rather than all of the usual faffing around, so might give it a try. If it works, I will let you know, if not I am back to the usual faffing around 😬

Please do!

If it works let us in on the secret!

The number of times I've seen folk do it and they make it look so easy... Think I've now built such a huge mental block about them it's going to take a miracle to overcome. 

Your Sherman is looking great by the way, super neat work with the pe.

Darryl 

On 3/25/2022 at 7:07 AM, Geo1966 said:

need one of those! Will add it to my wishlist.

Read reviews of it first. Compared to needle nosed pliers with grippy teeth for consistent placement of your wire, this gadget is perhaps not as good as the packaging makes out.

• Like 1