M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight" - *FINISHED*

Geo1966

My first WIP and my first GB, so i thought i should go for an "Easy" (eight) option. My intentions are to add a couple of figures and a make a small base.

NjLdRFH.jpg

The kit comes with rubber band tracks (which are ok) but can anybody suggest the correct AM tracks for this please? Not saying i will get them, but willing to consider them.

Thanks,

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Like 7

Hi George. Welcome to your first GB! Great to have you here and with a lovely Tamiya kit and extras. I hope you enjoy your experience here.

I'm looking forward to following your progress.

I'm sure someone here will be able to suggest suitable aftermarket tracks.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bertie, I think it is generally a safe option for me to go for Tamiya so i dont get bogged down. Saying that i brought the PE upgrade 😱 but i will see how much is needed.

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of GBs George - a good selection of AM stuff there.

As to tracks, I'd suggest keeping an eye on @Longbow's 11th Armoured build and see what he goes for - Longbow is basing his build on Tamiya's E8 chassis.

Hi Robert... I'm actually using the rubber band tracks from the kit :D

I've used them before, and so as to not clutter this thread, I'll post a pick in the reference section....

Lee.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Longbow said:

Hi Robert... I'm actually using the rubber band tracks from the kit :D

I've used them before, and so as to not clutter this thread, I'll post a pick in the reference section....

Lee.

Thanks Lee, That has made my mind up.

I have read a couple of reviews for the kit and it does seem that most people use the rubber bands included. It appears that as there is no real sag needed they are acceptable, oh and it saves money for other projects which is a bonus 😉

George

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In preparation for ‘kick off’ today I thought I would have a look at the destructions last night. All looks good as far as Tamiya goes. The Voyager PE is a different story. Page one is just for the 50 Cal machine gun 😱

ysWckXo.jpg

I have got the Academy US machine gun set somewhere, so maybe I can do a Tamiya/Voyager/Academy bodge machine gun?

Also makes me laugh (not sure that is the right expression) that you buy an AM upgrade and then they tell you to Scratch build bits. I appreciate in this instance a bit of copper wire will do the job, but just saying.

spGa89w.jpg

Unfortunately, I don’t think I will be getting any modelling done today. I have a few chores this morning, then I am watching the 6 Nations rugby between 1400 and 2200. Think I might have a sore head tomorrow!  🍻

George

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

I appreciate in this instance a bit of copper wire will do the job, but just saying

For those grab handles, wire is going to be the best option - better than PE, and, often, better than a kit's plastic.

As for PE generally, sometimes it improves things, but I've learned to think before using any one PE component ...

• Thanks 1

I think it's the same for all PE sets George, some bits are so complicated and would be very fragile if they were made.  I have several PE sets that have had some useful bits cherry picked and the rest is kept 'just in case'.  For things like hatch handles I always use brass wire ca glued into drilled holes, looks much better than moulded handles and stronger than PE ones.  :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

Hi George. As already mentioned above, some parts in PE sets are, in my opinion too, more complicated, too small or too fragile to be used. I usually pick the parts from the sets that I think I can cope with and not get too stressed using!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, I am not AWOL, but not managed to make much progress as yet.

I always like to get the boring bits out of the way first, so i have been making "Steam punk" quad bikes!

cU9H7wK.jpg

George

• Like 5

Trying to get at least an hour at the bench each day, so making slow, but steady progress. Wheels and boogies fininshed Yippee!

hqlxHry.jpg

George

• Like 3

Todays "Bone" question. How do i get small grab handles to be flat on the top? Mine have ended up a bit curved. I have made grab handles for turret hatches before which came out ok, but these are much smaller with less room to manouver. Any help will be appreciated.

8OTO5Wc.jpg

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

Todays "Bone" question. How do i get small grab handles to be flat on the top? Mine have ended up a bit curved.

BTW not a Bone question, all questions are legitimate as not everyone has the same experience and interests. So it is only proper for someone who is into one genre to help someone new to it. I mostly do Aircraft myself, followed by Armor, Sci-fi, Figures, & ships in that order. I know a good deal about aircraft but squat about ships. So I can help better in that genre of models.
      Now for your question, in the past Ive used something square & flat like a screwdriver or metal file. Bend the wire over it and you can get it pretty square.  Sometimes you can get lucky and find small enough staples to use but not always. Ive also run a bit of C/A over them to stiffen them up in the past. But it can be tricky not to make a mess. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I use a set of needle nose pliers, that way I can slide the wire back or forward, for the correct handle width, and then bend down the ends. 

I usually have the wire cut to an over sized length, that way I have plenty to play with and trim on each leg of the "U".

Edit to add, your wire gauge looks a little large on those. Go with thinner wire. You'll be surprised at how tough it is once bent to shape. 

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

BTW not a Bone question, all questions are legitimate as not everyone has the same experience and interests. So it is only proper for someone who is into one genre to help someone new to it. I mostly do Aircraft myself, followed by Armor, Sci-fi, Figures, & ships in that order. I know a good deal about aircraft but squat about ships. So I can help better in that genre of models.
      Now for your question, in the past Ive used something square & flat like a screwdriver or metal file. Bend the wire over it and you can get it pretty square.  Sometimes you can get lucky and find small enough staples to use but not always. Ive also run a bit of C/A over them to stiffen them up in the past. But it can be tricky not to make a mess. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I am sure i will have plenty more questions in the future.

I think with the handle, i thought i would be able to make it flat in situ, i now realise i need to get the correct profile before fitting.

• Like 1

We have a hull, well a tub. I thought i might have the problem you sometimes get where the side walls end up at an angle, but no such problems with Tamiya.

4yLo1FX.jpg

George

• Like 9