USMC M4A2 late **FINISHED**

bigfoot

On 5/3/2022 at 6:58 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Bigfoot. Wow! That really is looking impressive! Very neat and tidy work.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thanks Stix, plenty happy with this one. Just need to make sure it’s painted before the deadline!

The build is fully done, got the last bits of PE on and stowage mounted. The sand skirt mounts are a pain and keep coming off. I may have to redo them in plastic if it keeps happening. Some of the stowage is removable still for painting but the Jerry cans are all stuck down and will be tied down once painted.

Pictures for posterity before it gets covered in primer!

0vhJjt8.jpg

Gt5klie.jpg

OBaA263.jpg

iDZyAuY.jpg

Wlzhsy5.jpg

• Like 11

I'm not surprised you are happy with your Sherman, it really is a stunning looking build Bigfoot and I cannot wait to see it with the paint going on!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:17 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I just caught up. What a build for the lover of tiny details! Your work is very tidy and precise. The tank looks great and I look forward to seeing the paint.

Thanks Bertie. I don’t like to build out of the box as I don’t like my builds to look like everyone else’s builds, plus I often like to build from historical photos which leads to figuring out all the details of the real thing and trying to replicate them on mine. I rarely use markings included in the box. It makes me a slow builder though between that and limited bench time. I did say at the beginning that this was going to be pretty much OOB but I just couldn’t help myself!

Hopefully painting will commence this weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigfoot said:

I don’t like my builds to look like everyone else’s builds

I have very much the same attitude to my models. If I don't make them unique then I don't feel that they are mine. In my mind an OOB build still belongs to the guys at Airfix or MiniArt.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the evening in the garage with my new Iwata airbrush I got for my birthday and got some paint on the Sherman. It’s definitely a step up from the cheap airbrushes I’ve used up to this point! Put down a coat of Tamiya dark green in the recesses then AK real colours faded OD for the main colour, lightened with a bit of interior green. Tracks and spare tracks were given a coat of AK dark tracks. First time I’ve used the AK real colours paints and I like them and I like the OD colour, just right for a sun bleached Sherman in the PTO.

2UaUEFY.jpg

e3aSaf1.jpg

Still hoping I manage to get this finished before the deadline. Modelling time is short so it’s good to have got all the base colours down, feel like that’s a big step forward.

• Like 9

Hi Bigfoot. That really does look impressive with the paint going on. Those colours do work really well. I hope you get it finished too!

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Markings are on, hull markings are from archer dry transfers and the turret unit markings are hand painted. Not overly happy with them but they’ll do.

Q4SYqfx.jpg

detail painting next!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Wow!! I really like what you have done with that. Fantastic looking appearance! Lovely job! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, it’s looking like my reference pictures now!

• Like 1

Looking great, even prepainted,  it's nice seeing all the extra additions and modifications you've made.

Super paintwork, the hand painted turret markings look just right. I always think painted markings look so much better than decals if they can be done.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Darryl. I agree painted markings look better. I didn’t have a lot of choice with this kit. Although dragon do give some of the ‘C’ markings for the turret they only give three when you actually need four. Plus the 9 is quite stylised so couldn’t find anything to match. Tried making masks based on my reference pictures but it didn’t go well! Free hand was the only option… 😖

• Like 1

Hi BF. Just catching up on this build. You've done some excellent work on this. Did you thin down the kit items or are those lamp brush guards etched brass?

John.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi BF. Just catching up on this build. You've done some excellent work on this. Did you thin down the kit items or are those lamp brush guards etched brass?

John.

Thanks John. Neither actually, they are MJ miniatures 3D printed ones. They are really good, wonderfully thin and with pre printed welds as well. They can be a bit fragile (I’ve just had to repair the horn guard having looked at it funny) but also flexible. I find them better than PE ones, used them on a few builds now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bigfoot. Well it was looking superb last time seen!! Awesome painting! Has there been any more progress since? Hope you get chance to finish it in time.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bigfoot. Well it was looking superb last time seen!! Awesome painting! Has there been any more progress since? Hope you get chance to finish it in time.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Nearly there Stix, been working on it over the weekend with the weathering.

FdF90oY.jpg

f50FPjw.jpg

Yu9f4vT.jpg

6Vyi7NS.jpg

I’ve got to finish the tracks off, add some weathering to the spare tracks and some fuel stains and then should be done.

• Like 4

Looking really good, as if it's just rolled off the beach.

Nice variety of tones and streaks really breaks up the OD nicely. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking really good, as if it's just rolled off the beach.

Nice variety of tones and streaks really breaks up the OD nicely. 

Great work

Darryl 

Thanks Jasper. That’s the look I was going for. These tanks were newly issued before Peleliu so would have very little wear.

And with that, it’s finished! Just as well as I’m off on holiday today. Had to rush the weathering a bit but I’m generally happy with it.

8gcBbYP.jpg

3w1ZRT1.jpg

AC7CAc9.jpg

oxGBhXJ.jpg

pwW2aE6.jpg

5E1sOl9.jpg

2PvWf3o.jpg

HxLuuEC.jpg

1zWYIii.jpg

5i3xZbz.jpg

EP4vskz.jpg

Sorry for the photo dump!