RFI: ICM 1/48 He111H Night Blitz

Greetings Friends!  Well, just like the letdown my favorite Football team gives me...  I was on the way to scoring big with this excellent ICM Bomber kit.  This He111H is a really large model in 1/48 and the fit was really good, except for a few spots easy to fix.  I kept doing well on each step of this kit and thought it was going to be my best model...  THEN, I pulled off the masking on the side windows and discovered I had hit them with overspray from the inside (somehow).  Flustered I goofed up gluing in a gun in the lower gondola and crazed the window...  Well, I was 'Almost Famous' as we say in the Horse Show World!

I really enjoyed this build and have a lot of pride still in the build.  The Kit was fantastic and I highly recommend it!  Go get one while you still can, as it was a great effort from ICM...  I did add a few things:  The Eduard 'Look' PE harness and Instrument panel, Eduard Resin Wheels, and scratch build decals to match a sharp scheme I found on the internet.  I have seen reference of this airplane in Norway in April 1940, but also in France in Summer of 1940.  Its from KG100, and had the undersurfaces painted in BLACK but still had the crisp topside splinter cammo.  The Red 'F' decals were custom decal and custom painted.  I liked this scheme with the red spinners, and its unique in that its not on a decal sheet anywhere.

The profile painting for this He111H had the bomb bay compartment side windows open, so I left the windows in, many He111's had these painted over or sheet metal covered.  This is actually a neat feature of the kit as the bomb load and the Bomb racks are visible in these windows.  This bird also had a more advanced Navigation system with THREE masts.  I had to scratch build the extra two masts, but many He111H's had these three masts.  The undersurface Insignia is painted out and slightly visible and that came out nice.  Exhaust is on lower surface only because this 'H' bird had the 'log' type manifolds and dumps the exhaust under the wing.  ICM gives you (2) highly detailed engines with full engine mounts to build and I left some of the doors open on the left hand engine.  Its really nice kit!

Enjoy the photos and let me know what you think of her.  This kit kept me out of the bar for a great 2 week build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 71
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Looks perfect to me.

Inspiring build, I will have to build one myself.

Hi Volker...  yes you will like the kit!  It is really nice and kept me interested and engaged.  I liked it so well, i ordered the ICM north africa he111H-6 kit and the ICM he111H-20 with top turret.

Kinda funny, I push myself to build my stash, and just realized for every ONE I build, I replace it with TWO more kits!

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very well done ! Yes it is huge and I remenber when I did the Pro-Modeller one that I had trouble to put it on the shelves.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrei G said:

Really great result! Two weeks it is really fast, when I had build my He 111H-16 it tooks me almost two months.

Amatuers. My last build was 11 months 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

A perfect build Heinkel. :thumbsup:

I really like the effect of the overpainted under wing cross for example, just to mention one of the many great details.

The H-6 in the Revell box is in my stash and i am really looking forward to the build.