'Boys Will Be Boys' - 1/35 King Tiger Diorama

Here is my latest and most ambitious diorama to date :) . This scene is supposed to represent the days immediately following the end of WW2 in a town under British occupation.  Local kids have of course found an abandoned tank to play on amongst the ruins, and a group of photographers from the British Army Film and Photographic Unit have come across the scene and decided to cover it (well one has anyway!). While one takes pictures, another avails himself of some refreshment and the third member of the team tries to 'liberate' an abandoned 3 wheeled Tempo goods truck found in the factory yard.

King Tiger is Hobbyboss, Kids figures are from Stalingrad Figures, Tempo is a new Miniart item and the British troops are from Bronco.  The factory wall an gate are from Diodump in Holland.  The rest is scratch built or found in the spares box (Flak trailer/bits of Tamiya wall etc). The pond/crater is filled with clear two part resin and the ground work is made from filler and sieved garden soil. Paint is Life Color, Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics.  Hope you like it and welcome any comments good or bad. :)

Photos take with smart phone as it is too big to get into my photo booth thingy!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

That's great. There's plenty going on and all the figures look engrossed in whatever they are doing. I like the children and the way they are appropriately skinny.

Abandoned and rusty vehicles are the theme of this group build proposal. You might want to take a look?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's great. There's plenty going on and all the figures look engrossed in whatever they are doing. I like the children and the way they are appropriately skinny.

Abandoned and rusty vehicles are the theme of this group build proposal. You might want to take a look?

Will do thank you :)

• 1 month later...

Very nice scene and idea with some great modelling. For me, though, no offence, but I think the soldier on the tank looks isolated and I think he should be looking to the left side where the kids are playing and engaging in the central scene. Also, the car and other figure are lost behind the brick wall, almost as if it is another diorama and, for me, doesn't really add anything to the main theme of the diorama. That is not to take away from your lovely work on the models, Matt, but just my belief and own preference. 

Cheers,

Jeremy

Edited by nimrod484
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your feedback.  I must admit I was at a bit of loss as to what to fill the space behind the wall with, and didn't want to leave it empty as I like to be able to have dioramas viewed from different angles .I also wanted to have something more interesting than filling it with rubble etc, hence the Tempo parked in the yard(plus I really liked the unusual vehicle).  The soldier on the tank was repositioned a number of times but just didn't sit right anywhere else (he was originally on the turret), so ended up where he is looking a bit lost in thought on his own :).  I think if I did this one again I would make a different and more bespoke shaped base rather than rely on the rectangualr Hobbycraft frame I had to make everything fit onto. Another learning experience :)

Edited by Matt P
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...