Harrier GR1 help please

Graham T

Last week I was in a local amateur musical production, since when I & about 25-30% of the cast of 30 or so have come down with Covid!  Two years I've managed to dodge it!  Two years!  Anyway happily I retired (early!) in the autumn so at least I'm able to take things easy while I recover.  Which brings me on to the 1/48 Kinetic Harrier & a couple of questions to enable me to make a better job of it than I did their Sea Harrier!  Firstly, I'm building an early 1970 GR1 of 1 squadron.  The instructions give white as the colour for the nose & main gear bays but I'm thinking they should be Light Aircraft Grey?  They also suggest that the intakes right back to the fan are the exterior colours (i.e., Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey) but once again I suspect LAG on so early an example?  The cockpit is called out in Dark Admiralty Grey which sounds right but could it have been black in 1969/70?  Finally the Matra pods; Kinetic have moulded them with protruding rockets which I don't think is right?!  In any event they then tell you to remove the rocket tips by sanding & drilling anyway!  Don't fancy that, think I'll arm mine with bombs!  Answers to these questions or further general advise on the kit gratefully accepted!

From memory think white gear bays are correct with light grey landing gear. Intakes also camo colour on the inside, one side generally DG and other DSG. Sounds all correct to me. 

Muzz

27 minutes ago, Muzz said:

From memory think white gear bays are correct with light grey landing gear. Intakes also camo colour on the inside, one side generally DG and other DSG. Sounds all correct to me. 

Muzz

I think that is correct, as well, Muzz.

Mike

• Like 1

Well if its any help Sea Harriers (a better class of harrier 😆) were indeed white.....for five minutes but the rear u/c got mucky fairly quickly as the the air brake space.

Undercarriage and outriggers were light grey as Muzz says ....not that unudual to see a GR3 nose leg in place of a Shar one for a short time.....not very useful on board ....no where to fit chain lashings as 3 squadron found out during purple warrior 87 

• Like 2

I had the same issue for my GR1 I made. I asked our resident expert at the museum who said the intake could be camo or grey or white depending on where and when it’s last major was. 
From my research I found white gear bay and light grey legs too. 

• Like 1

I think there may have been some variation.  I have GR3 photos showing nose gear leg and nose wheel in distinctly different tones - the nose wheel looks light grey, the undercarriage leg is rather bluer.  I also have photos where both look light gray.  The bluer leg looks very like light admiralty grey, and I remember the legs as being blueish - I think I used RLM65 when I built one back in the day - and matched the colour to the real thing!  Given that several other types had the same colour of legs, it is possible that Dowty painted them one colour when new, and they were repainted in service to another.

Regards

Tim      

28 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Also I am fairly confident that the cockpit interior would have been grey, not black. The days of the all black coalhole were (just) disappearing by then.

John B

Defo dark grey or medium ...not getting in to that bunfight but I know a few on here who will 😆😆😆

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Defo dark grey or medium ...not getting in to that bunfight but I know a few on here who will 😆😆😆

2 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Also I am fairly confident that the cockpit interior would have been grey, not black. The days of the all black coalhole were (just) disappearing by then.

John B

The cockpit was BS 381C Dark Admiralty Grey 632!

Selwyn

• Like 1