Shackleton AEW2

Another month passes, and another model goes from bench to shelf. This one being the Revell 1:72 Shackleton AEW2 of 8 squadron Lossiemouth 1981. A few issue with this kit which is a shame considering the nice surface detail. 1 being mentioned in another thread on here being the MR3 layout fuselage with extra windows etc not present on the AEW2 or missing vents. 
2- had a lot of manufacturing issues with this kit with the moulding just not complete or not fully formed eg landing gear missing one side of the fork, detail missing from bay antenna, hole in fuselage half and delaminated clear windows. Fortunately Revell parts uk sorted me out some replacement frames so big thank you to Revell.

Now the pics. 
87cnVnW.jpg

w0Clytb.jpg
VynikFq.jpg

YO7vBjc.jpg
8JAP680.jpg

And with my Revell MR3 (1996 vintage)made about 20-25 years ago (glad my skills have progressed since then!)

zNL1Ci9.jpg

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed, I like the look of that very much- very realistic.  I have one of these but it arrived without decals- Revell said they will send me some so looking forward to that although with the world as it is I have no idea when they will arrive. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 3:00 PM, Ptmvarsityfan said:

Very nice!

18 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Whats not to like about a well made Shack. Thats a beauty.

Pete

16 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

nice work, well done

16 hours ago, SAT69 said:

As far as I'm concerned, both look very nice, though I confess to favoring the AEW.

Thank you all. The AEW being a newer kit is nicer then the MR3. 

11 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Very nice indeed, I like the look of that very much- very realistic.  I have one of these but it arrived without decals- Revell said they will send me some so looking forward to that although with the world as it is I have no idea when they will arrive. 

Thank you. Check your landing gear part closely as they where the parts I had most issue with moulding faults. 

Good to hear you got over the problems with the kit and also good that Revell were on the case and sorted things out. Lovely model - I imagine that 24 sets of prop tip stripes must have been challenging!

Well done, Thanks for sharing, Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, Stephen said:

That's a lovely build.

Thank you. 

On 3/15/2022 at 4:32 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Lovely build! I never got to the bottom of which was the better Dougal- Airfix or Revell!

TT

That’s a touch question. The airfix does have an interior, not that you can really see it. 

On 3/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, Maginot said:

Superb!

On 3/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on that Shack!

Regards,

Jason

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo lovely Shackleton,  looks gorgeous, great work and both look great together.

Chris

9 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Nice!

4 hours ago, Andy Young said:

Good to hear you got over the problems with the kit and also good that Revell were on the case and sorted things out. Lovely model - I imagine that 24 sets of prop tip stripes must have been challenging!

Well done, Thanks for sharing, Cheers, Andy

Thank you. 
24 blade tips done twice too! First time I wasn’t happy with my ration of white to red. 

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well done!

Thank you. 

• Like 1

You’ve made a very good job of that one! 👍. Interesting to read the kit issues... I’ve just bought the exact same kit, so will definitely be looking out for those when I come to build it.

• Thanks 1

A very nice looking Shackleton!

I was following a WIP here on BM and because of that, I bought the kit "new" out of second hand. Allthough I didn't check it out in close detail. Lets have a look tomorrow if there are troubles with my box.

Did you use the kit decals? As I had mixed to bad experience with Revell's decals, I must say yours look like they behaved nicely!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Shearwater said:

You’ve made a very good job of that one! 👍. Interesting to read the kit issues... I’ve just bought the exact same kit, so will definitely be looking out for those when I come to build it.

Thank you. Yes check it carefully especially the gear legs and attachments. 

3 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

A very nice looking Shackleton!

I was following a WIP here on BM and because of that, I bought the kit "new" out of second hand. Allthough I didn't check it out in close detail. Lets have a look tomorrow if there are troubles with my box.

Did you use the kit decals? As I had mixed to bad experience with Revell's decals, I must say yours look like they behaved nicely!

Thanks. Yes mine is OOB. The only decal issues I had was the normal with the long yellow lines breaking. Not a huge issue to just realign the break. 
As I said above if you want to make a proper mk2 you will need to delete some windows and add some vents etc. There’s a nice mk2 adjustments thread on BM I used.