Tamiya Masking tape

sprue

Has something changed as my last couple of builds have encountered a sticky residue on masked canopies and it's difficult if not impossible to remove. I'm using my old tried and tested technique of dipping the canopies in Future or Looks Like Glass before masking. Any ideas?

A while back I bought some stuff off Amazon which was advertised as a "Masking tape refill" which included a link to the Tamiya store. It is also described as "Tamiya quality and precision", But on close inspection, nowhere does it actually say it is Tamiya tape. Anyway, the stuff I received did not have any Tamiya packaging, and although it looked the same left residue.

In short I believe there are people selling Tamiya tape knock offs. Perhaps that's what you got.

Cheers

Colin

A couple of thoughts Sprue.

Has the tape been left on the model for any length of time and/or allowed to get warm?

I've had the same with Tamiya tape, in the past, when left in those conditions.

Their X-20A acrylic (NOT lacquer!) thinners removes the residue quite well, but could also damage the Klear...

Rick.

1 hour ago, Rick Brown said:

A couple of thoughts Sprue.

Has the tape been left on the model for any length of time and/or allowed to get warm?

I've had the same with Tamiya tape, in the past, when left in those conditions.

Their X-20A acrylic (NOT lacquer!) thinners removes the residue quite well, but could also damage the Klear...

Rick.

Hi Rick

X-20A acrylic (NOT lacquer!) thinners has done the trick. I've been model making more than 50 years and my working environment hasn't changed, but the tape certainly has. Thanks for the suggestion it works a treat and as I work mainly in enamel paint there's no collateral damage to paint work.

Thanks again

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ckw said:

A while back I bought some stuff off Amazon which was advertised as a "Masking tape refill" which included a link to the Tamiya store. It is also described as "Tamiya quality and precision", But on close inspection, nowhere does it actually say it is Tamiya tape. Anyway, the stuff I received did not have any Tamiya packaging, and although it looked the same left residue.

In short I believe there are people selling Tamiya tape knock offs. Perhaps that's what you got.

Cheers

Colin

9 hours ago, sprue said:

Hi Rick

X-20A acrylic (NOT lacquer!) thinners has done the trick. I've been model making more than 50 years and my working environment hasn't changed, but the tape certainly has. Thanks for the suggestion it works a treat and as I work mainly in enamel paint there's no collateral damage to paint work.

Thanks again

Mike

Ive got a roll which claims to be Tamiya tape in 40mm width, sold in R/C car sections of stores to paint clear lexan bodies. The adhesive is different from standard Tamiya kabuki as its mush more tacky and hard to remove. Its entirely possible that you may have a roll similar to this but in a smaller width ? I find tacking it against my hand or inner wrist twice gets rid of most of the issues ?