Heller 1/72 M4 Sherman - FINISHED

IanC

Hello everyone. I'll be doing this little chap. Parts look crisp and detailed - proper rubber tracks too! 

spacer.png

Broadsheet instructions:

spacer.png

The crew longlist. Only three will get through boot camp and be chosen: 

spacer.png

I'll be adding some stowage and the plan is to display it on a little diorama base from the Matchbox Chaffee. 

All the best,

Ian

• Like 11

Hi Ian. Welcome to the GB. Great to have you here and it's always good to see these 1/72nd kits being built. Great choice! I'm looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a start on mine. I'm impressed at the fit and detail in this little kit. So far, the suspension is done and I've been trying out the hull gunner and driver figures for size. These are AB castings and I think they'll look ok when painted up.

spacer.png 

I've decided to do this vehicle from 81st TB, 5th Armoured, using some aftermarket decals. I've guessed at a one piece transmission cover from the options in the kit - if I've got it wrong, please don't say as it's too late now. 😀 Further down the line I'll have a go at building the stowage rack on the back of the turret:

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looks great Ian 👍

I am moving more and more to 1/72 so it's good to see kits in this scale look to be as impressive as the bigger scales. I like the crew figures too.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Great to see your progress Ian and it does look to be a really nicely detailed kit for 1/72. And the figures will really bring it to life. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of progress on this, but the main construction is now done. I'm trying out an ex-Matchbox diorama base for size too, which I think will work well to create a little Normandy scene.

spacer.png  

spacer.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking great!

Those figures a very nicely detailed.

Cheers Greg 👍

Thanks Greg. Yes, I like AB figures. Some of them are a bit stocky and 'wargamey' compared to plastic or resin variants, but they do look good and there are so many really useful sets. I'm thinking of getting some infantry types to go with the scene. We'll see. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IanC said:

Thanks Greg. Yes, I like AB figures. Some of them are a bit stocky and 'wargamey' compared to plastic or resin variants, but they do look good and there are so many really useful sets. I'm thinking of getting some infantry types to go with the scene. We'll see. 

I have just acquired the Heller Le clerc version of your kit, and would like to follow suit with a tank crew. 

I think a few other figures for the base will add greatly to your Dio.

I look forward to seeing the next update.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

A few coats of varnish, an oil pin wash and a bit of highlighting have been applied, and the decals are on. I cobbled them together from spares and a Star Decals sheet to depict a vehicle from B Coy, 15th Bn (The 'Wolf Pack'), 6th Armoured Division at the time of Op Cobra.  The parade ground look won't last though, once the weathering and stowage are on. 😉  Many of these vehicles had their stars painted out too, but I may just dirty them up a bit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

The stowage has been added, the figures painted and most of the weathering completed. A few bits and pieces to fit and then on to the base. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Here's the base, pinched from a Matchbox M-24 Chaffee and spruced up a bit.  Fortunately the decal on the sign (with spelling mistake!) is more appropriate for a Normandy Sherman than the Chaffee:

spacer.png 

• Like 4

Nice improvement to the basic base Ian. It will provide a nice backdrop to your model. 

Are you Still thinking about adding a couple of figures outside the Sherman ?

Cheers Greg 👍

Cheers Greg. I'm not sure now. I just want one or two infantry or airborne blokes to be in the dugout, but I've not got anyone suitable. AB do a nice US troops on patrol set but its a full squad and a bit expensive. So I may scotch that idea. 

• Like 1