1/48 Airfix Vampire FB.50, Swedish Air Force

Sweden was one of the largest foreign Vampire operators - maybe the largest of them all with more than 400 examples doing service for over 20 years until the last one was retired in 1967. They formed the backbone of the Swedish Air Force in the early 50s until they were replaced by Saab Tunnan, but continued as a trainer for many years (that is the reason that there is no Tunnan trainer version).

51935411489_b4d346a6c1_c.jpg

The FB.50 version used in Sweden was identical to the FB.5, and all necessary parts were found in the Airfix boxing. My example suffered a little from the infamous warped top fuselage, but it was nothing that caused any major problems, and the problem was solved when the fuselage parts were united using superglue.

51935091176_32dce4257e_c.jpg
I used Mr Paint colours for the underside and Gunze (easier to chip) for the top surfaces. Decals from Moose Republic Decals were of excellent quality as always. The original aircraft flew at F 9 wing in Gothenburg. The prominent devil was the badge of the 1st Division.

51935694865_885801ca03_c.jpg

I added seatbelts and a scratch-built seat back cushion in the cockpit. The rest is almost invisible anyway - and kit detailing was good enough for me.

51935401584_f8688f4666_c.jpg
51935927540_3d105de66c_c.jpg
51935083501_cf4f14df49_c.jpg

Although I am aware of that flaps seldom were opened on parked aircraft, I decided to expose them in open position anyway. Just to add some interest and show the nice detailing.

51934101372_14ee32e7e4_c.jpg
The worst parts were the position lights. They did not fit at all. No major issue, just a little strange, they fit is so bad that I somtimes wondered if I used the wrong parts. But apart from that, fit was excellent, especially the important boom construction was a pleasure to assemble.

51935927520_c156f45722_c.jpg
An enjoyable build, I would gladly build more of these. Thanks Airfix for finally bringing us a decent model of this legendary aircraft.

• Like 48
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Very nice again Tony, I like the subtle weathering that you have done.  Did you buy a container of Vampires??

Colin

Thanks! Although I am not Tony, I'd love such a container! 😃

Beautiful model (as usual), Björn!

Old J 29 Tunnan veterans have told me that the main drawback of the Vampire J 28C as a stand-in for a proper Tunnan trainer, was the fact that the Vampire was too easy to fly.

You could fly it just using the stick, without touching the rudder pedals. Whereas flying the J 29 without a judicious application of rudder in a turn, coming in for touchdown with lowered flaps, killed a number of pilots.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1