Miniart Dingo Mk II in Canadian Markings

SimonL

In the post Christmas sales I picked up the Miniart Dingo Mk II. The boxing I have has a captured example on the outside, but also has some Allied markings available as well. The one that caught my eye was a for one serving with the Royal Canadian Dragoons, mostly as it has an RAF roundel on the back. Now, there appears to be some uncertainty in the actual colour, see the following thread for the discussion:

I’ve decided to go with overall SCC2, with with an RAF roundel on the rear deck. The project was delayed due a missing sprues, which in some great customer service the guys at Miniart got to me just a few short weeks before the tragic events of the last fortnight. I hope they are keeping safe 😥.

This will be my first attempt at doing an interior on a 1:35 scale kit.

So first the box top:

p?i=d8eb6282a0729b29e6280576055d3f5f

Here is the example I am going to build (just imagine it’s brown):

p?i=ac0e154ef967a19e9f1d054ca978fce9

Oh oh - photoetch. The printing of roundel looks a bit out of register, so I may use the spare I have.

p?i=04eb78946df3801f7ad187b5b38218f3

So I started on the cabin interior (cockpit?). Lots of little bits, but went together well. Will need to leave some parts as sub-assemblies to be able to do the detail painting.

p?i=232a0ace85e48edb5ea6acc00e98bedc

I managed to use some of the photo etch, however there was some really tiny bits that defeated me.

Painting underway, with the main colour being Vallejo 70826 German Camo Medium Brown. 

p?i=b3eae391db7fa1ce9c9f71d2c20d8026

Detail painting with various Tamiya and Italeri acrylics.

• Like 12

I have a soft spot for the dingo and a masochistic streak for overly complicated kits. I will watch with interest with a view to purchase. Would like to give a bit to the guys. 

Andrew 

• Like 1

Looks interesting, I'll follow along. I have to say, looks a complicated thing for such a tiny vehicle..........I've heard Miniart can be over engineered at times. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest. So this weekends progress, started on the suspension. Some many small, fiddly parts!

p?i=9a745e273cf386a5646c093d346a988e

p?i=2abdde0a233fe45099456d8db9056eec

Somehow though, managed to get it all

together for the front suspension. Surprisingly robust once complete.

p?i=2cad0b5875a810bf0eff0c0509bc326e

I also continued with a bit of detail painting. Pretty happy with the radio set 

p?i=3a186bb84712f2fb3d13f330c1464465

Here is where I am at for the weekend. More fun and games with the rear suspension next week!

p?i=06a4e5cd60a8172db72ead16a33ce781

• Like 11

Not much of an update this week, only managed to finish worst of the of the suspension (I hope). Don’t look too close - it’s a bit rough.

p?i=eedfdce299795a83ddba164acb69018d

Meanwhile, the local hobby shop has a sale on, and with a sudden rush of blood to the head, this is now in my possession. What have I done?

p?i=93f6d6c4877625c50d5d55953433bd5f

On 3/20/2022 at 7:39 PM, Milan Mynar said:

Great building and painting.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:46 PM, Milan Mynar said:

Your building is an inspiration for me. Sometimes I reach into my warehouse of unbuilt models and remove the box with the model of Daimler MK. II.

you are too kind!

On 3/21/2022 at 1:50 AM, APA said:

Cracking radio Simon! I feel your pain with the suspension 🙄

Andrew

thanks! 

• Like 6

I really struggled with the superbly over engineered suspension on my mini art Dingo a few months ago and it appears you are doing a great job there so far Simon. Most impressive work mate!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

You bought good model of the Sherman tank, it is good deal.

Good to know 🙂 although the tracks look a little scary…

19 hours ago, P-3s rule said:

I really struggled with the superbly over engineered suspension on my mini art Dingo a few months ago and it appears you are doing a great job there so far Simon. Most impressive work mate!

thanks, but to be honest I’m glad most of it will be hidden behind the wheels!

19 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I was very nearly tempted by that Sherman this morning. Looks really nice. Good work on you Dingo. Miniart can be a battle but the final results are worth it.👍

thanks. I was also tempted by the Miniart Grant - but thought maybe one at a time was enough.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

I got the RFM Sherman early last year on sale too, they had it 30% off for June 6th D-Day sale. Great kit!

I only managed 20% off 🤣

2 hours ago, echen said:

What is a local hobby shop, something like hens teeth, perhaps?

Ouch! I’m very lucky, I have a really good one literally 10 minutes away. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonL said:

I have a really good one literally 10 minutes away. 

Maybe I need to emigrate to Perth?

Edited by echen
  • Haha 2

Again, just a little progress on the inside of the cabin this weekend. Some washes with a diluted mixture of Army Painter Dark and Soft Tone, follows by a coat of Vallejo Matt varnish. Somehow managed to not quite get the seat right, so drilled a new hole a little forward so it could fit properly. Managed to get the photoetch “cage” on the radio set without making a mess - pity after that it’s barely going to be seen!

p?i=7f00f5f2037f680b2b55c22910456249

p?i=8bc04d99a13c0270559981e14fa224e1

• Like 11

Yes, nice interior work. Always nice to see it.........but I know what you mean when it's finished, most is hidden. I recently came to the conclusion on whether to but and build a full interior Panther as my next subject. But decided that so little is seen, I went for the Jagdpanther full interior by Tacoma so I can leave the top off like I did with the Sturmtiger.

Keep up the momentum Simon....:yes:

Regards

Simon

https://armourscale.wixsite.com/home

On 4/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, Hamden said:

Nice work on that interior, time well spent!

Stay safe         Roger

Thanks!

On 4/7/2022 at 10:47 PM, Milan Mynar said:

Nice painting of the interior.

thanks!

On 4/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, Redcoat2966 said:

Yes, nice interior work. Always nice to see it.........but I know what you mean when it's finished, most is hidden. I recently came to the conclusion on whether to but and build a full interior Panther as my next subject. But decided that so little is seen, I went for the Jagdpanther full interior by Tacoma so I can leave the top off like I did with the Sturmtiger.

Keep up the momentum Simon....:yes:

Regards

Simon

https://armourscale.wixsite.com/home

thanks - although it does look like a fair amount will be visible through the open top.

Finished the interior this weekend with a little light weather - some light dry brushing with some yellow ochre oils on the seats, som dry brushing with Tamiya acrylic metallic grey on the floor to show a bit of wear and then a few light washes of Vallejo Wash “European Dust”.

p?i=e92dd1e88862b6a827c9850ad43e1a33

Final bit of detail painting.

p?i=3f23431a551cf52e163704caea164502

Finally started to put the vehicle together, although managed to knock a few little bits of the chassis.

p?i=4933c00f35580e397f2be14aaab78c88

View of the cabin (real side of compartment is just a dry fit)

p?i=a81a74dcb49faaa922562e2711109cdf

May need some smears of filler here and there, but feel like I’m getting somewhere.

Meanwhile I am considering the aerials. The kit provided ones look clunky, and I’m useless at stretching sprues. What do folk think about steel guitar strings as antennae? Anyone had experience using them?.

• Like 7