Grumman A-6A Intruder "Knight Rider"

After a break of 28 years last Summer I dusted off my old modelling tools last year and dug out a Fujimi A-6A Intruder - the last kit I bought before giving up modelling back in 1994.

spacer.png 

After such a long hiatus much of my old stuff was somewhat past its sell by date so a spending spree was in order. Realising I could buy all the things I couldn't afford back in my youth plus discovering a lot had changed  since the 90's the "restock" took a bit of time. So with new paints, fillers, glues, an new Iwata airbrush and compressor and - most importantly - a magnifying LED light I set about building the Intruder. 

I've learnt a lot, sweared quite a bit, but finally after deciding I'd be pushing my luck to attempt weathering I finished it this weekend. It was built out of the box finished with Vallejo paints, Alclad Aqua Gloss, Vallejo satin varnish and using the original Kit decals. The cockpit was hand painted. It's nice kit for its age with reasonable detail and a nice choice of markings. The decals were a bit fragile, and after so long somewhat reluctant to come off the backing sheet, but mostly went on okay with a bit of Micro Sol/Set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

51936543170_a1405a3204_k.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 46

A good neat and tidy build and finish. The cockpit looks particularly well done. It took me 28 years to get half decent, so I am a little jealous this is your first effort in 28 years, which looks so good. Cheers Neil

The 28 years doesn't seem to have dented your abilities.  Nice to see a "clean" model occasionally, too.  I don't weather mine due to lack of skill, fear of disasters and "kit fatigue" (as I get to the point of just wanting the thing off the bench).

I would like to join in welcoming you back to modeling!  I really like your job on the A-6A, it came out just fantastic.  Love the cockpit!  I know what you mean about coming back to the hobby and having the ability to afford stuff.  As a kid I never had more than about 12 total paints to work with - now I have a wall of paints.  Its good to have a job, unless it interferes too much with your modeling time.

Welcome back- doesn't look like you lost anything during the hiatus! Almost forgot what a factory-fresh A-6 looked like! I've been in retirement since 1986, and I hope when I finally get back in the saddle, I can do half as well! Glad to have you on Britmodeller.

Mike

Welcome back! I think this is a very neat and detailed re-entry! I've always had a soft spot for the Intruder. You've done a great job on this. Getting an airbrush can for some people be an absolute epiphany. I too made a return to modelling and went a bit mad on my initial spending spree, buying all those kits and paints I couldn't afford as a child! All I had was black, silver and some dodgy metallic green enamels as a kid! Lol . I even recall painting an Airfix Wessex using .. red poster paint once ! Well done on a superb rendition of this lovely kit.

Regards, Andy