3 sqn Tempest sn 330 J5H spinner query

Ralph

Hallo all, Having got the new Airfix Tempest, I am going to do it in the  post war 3sqn overall aluminium scheme with green letters  and green spinner scheme. For the life of me I cannot find an original photograph of the real aircraft, which is a pain because I want to find out which type of spinner to use....the shorter DH unit or the longer Rotol. Any guidance (or better yet picture) would be great

Thanks I advance for any help.

Best, Ralph

Edited by Ralph

Judging by the pictures in The Hawker Typhoon and Tempest by Francis K Mason on p.149 and The Typhoon and Tempest Story by @Chris Thomas on p.168, both of which show the same picture of SN330 either on take off and landing.  The view is pretty much in profile, I'm going with the Rotol spinner.  Chris has said that many SN serialled machines had the Rotol prop fitted.

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Judging by the pictures in The Hawker Typhoon and Tempest by Francis K Mason on p.149 and The Typhoon and Tempest Story by @Chris Thomas on p.168, both of which show the same picture of SN330 either on take off and landing.  The view is pretty much in profile, I'm going with the Rotol spinner.  Chris has said that many SN serialled machines had the Rotol prop fitted.

Thanks Wez!

22 hours ago, Wez said:

Sorry boys but this is one of the exceptions. SN330 had a de Havilland prop/spinner when it was J5-H. Some clues on how to spot it ... the Rotol spinner backplate was thicker than the DeH and the front half was on two sections - in close ups a vertical line can be seen just forward of the blades. If the prop is stopped, Rotol blades can be seen to carry their distinctive light-coloured  disc at their base.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Sorry boys but this is one of the exceptions. SN330 had a de Havilland prop/spinner when it was J5-H. Some clues on how to spot it ... the Rotol spinner backplate was thicker than the DeH and the front half was on two sections - in close ups a vertical line can be seen just forward of the blades. If the prop is stopped, Rotol blades can be seen to carry their distinctive light-coloured  disc at their base.

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification, to be fair the photo in the books isn't the biggest and in one of them it's quite grainy, I'd love to see a close-up of this aircraft.