Mark's M4 Sherman (early production)

MarkSH

Morning all,

Here with an old kit from Tamiya, originally released in 1981 but updated with new parts in 1995.  As most will know I ain't no armour expert, in fact I have only 'successfully' completed a single tank in 1/35 in the shape of a Panzer IV for the STGB a few years ago.  My aim here is to produce a quick build, but try to develop the weathering using a process I have employed reasonably successfully with some of my aircraft builds using oil paints, nothing new there. However, I have been watching several talented exponents of the process on YouTube and the effects they have achieved are remarkable and right up my alley, hopefully I can produce something of a similar ilk.

The obligatory box contents shot:

zqzgPU1.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10

Welcome aboard sir its a very good kit I built it when it first came out and did some minor mods by updating the mantlet and adding a larger canister for the .50 taken from an .50 anti aircraft mount. I will need to dig out my grandfathers builds abd post them for inspiration. 

• Like 1

Hi Mark. Welcome to the GB. Great to have you here and it's always good to see these older Tamiya kits being made. I'm looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

I'm currently building one of these too (with a few modifications), only major issue with the kit is that the bottom of the sponsons over the tracks is open (typical of old Tamiya kits), some strips of plastic card can easily fill them though.

.t1e3_20.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 9

Nice choice Mark. The older Tamiya kits are still great, especially if - like me - you want to concentrate on the overall look without getting bogged down by million piece tracks or etched brass tool brackets! 😄

• Like 1

Hello all,

Managed to make a start on the Tamiya Sherman,

Nice as it is there isn't a lot to the general assembly and it has gone together quite rapidly:

I started with the wheelie things as there were some mould seams to clean up.

JxWxjGL.jpg

The lower hull is very simple with only a few parts, I have also taken onboard @Mig Eater's comments with regard to the open sponsons and added thin strips to serve as a fixing point for some plastic covers,

BKVDRO4.jpg 

49VpXsp.jpg

The upper hull is similarly straight forward; the rear deck plating has been fitted

AFsULT2.jpg

The upper and lower hulls mated and the sponson covers glued in place

rSk8GhG.jpg

Wheelie things and rear end details attached.

aYAJhNR.jpg

YRotPxz.jpg

The bits of additional armour have been added

TsMriYO.jpg

ytrB9KJ.jpg

That's all so far.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 12

Afternoon all,

A little more assembly progress along with some added detail:

All of the hull accoutrements have been added plus I have made a towing cable as they seem quite common in images of the Sherman at war.  The cable is made from a pair of 4 lengths 0.2 mm copper wire twisted clockwise and then put together and twisted counter-clockwise, just like rope it should hold itself together.  The towing eyes are spares from my Dragon Panzer IV build.  Looking at the photo I have just realized that I have forgotten to drill out the muzzle of the hull machine gun.

dPu0zPp.jpg

I have added some 0.5 mm copper wire lashing brackets to the turret, just sticking the knapsacks etc. to the side of turret seemed a bit simplistic so I'll try to create some rope effect with a few lengths of Caldercraft rigging from a long stalled HMS Victory build

CQIydDT.jpg

More lashing brackets on the other side of the turret and a general dry fit of turret and gun plus the stowage bits to try and find a pleasing but plausible arrangement.

IzZtMBT.jpg

I need assemble the turret top .50 machine gun and to paint the inside of the turret and hull next and then decide on a general painting sequence for the externals.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 12

Evening all,

I think the general construction is complete, still a lot of dry fitted bits and bobs and I think I need to add some clasps or brackets near the ends of the tow cable but overall ready for some paint when the Easy Eight is at the same point:

J548dnv.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6