Voyage to the Centre of the Lee - F..F..F..F..F..FINISHED!!!

7 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Of course I did, I never doubted for a second.... :whistle:

To be fair, I was talking about doing my Achilles as well at  some points in our conversation last year.

That possibly could be done in reality but it won't be because inside my head I'm all M3'ed out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/03/2022 at 14:01, Bertie Psmith said:

Am I correct in assuming that the Australian Lee tanks would have been painted in a more verdant green than US Olive Drab? A jungle green perhaps? Does anyone have good info on this? Actually, I don't know why I'm asking because I've already decided that's what I'm going to do. They would have been delivered in OD but I'm betting they were repainted jungle green

Not sure on Australian Lee's , but there were British jungle greens,  from the work of @Mike Starmer

https://www.mafva.org/british-vehicle-camouflage-1939-45/?v=79cba1185463

"FAR EAST.

Until 1943 vehicles appear to conform to UK standards.  Colour images exist of Morris Quads at Singapore in Khaki Green No.3 and Dark Tarmac.  Early 1943 S.C.C.13 “Jungle Green” introduced for use as single overall colour.  But 1944 S.C.C. 16 Very Dark Drab (a.k.a. SEASCC.207) may be coming into use.    By 1944 there was a range of colours for camouflage purposes issued by SEAC in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) but there is no evidence that any of these were intended as disruptive colours. Single overall basic colour remained from 1943 -45."

"S.C.C.13 a.k.a.  “Jungle Green”

Mix: 4 x Humbrol 159 + 3 x Humbrol 155 + 1 x Humbrol 33. 

Alternative; 4 x Revell 42 + 1 x Humbrol 159

Tamiya: 2 x XF51 + 1 x XF61 + 1 x XF3.   

In use: basic colour only in India & Burma 1943-45. 

Description: Very dark drab/ muddy dark green. 

S.C.C. 16 VERY DARK DRAB.

Mix; 4x Humbrol 159 + 2 x Humbrol 150 + 1 x Humbrol 33 + 1 x Humbrol 133.

In use:  Basic colour only In use in India and Burma 1944-45 replacing S.C.C.13.

Description:  A very dull muddy looking green, darker than S.C.C.13."

and 

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/286055/index.htm

these links

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/othervehicles/aussiecamlw_1.htm

and this

"I found my notes. Not sure if this info appears in any amendments or updates Starmer may have produced since I printed my copy of his paint mixes, however he does mention a DSW&V liaison letter dated June/July 44 "...the subject of India & Australia using SCC 207 Very Dk Drab overall w/out disruptive. Due to coincidence of nomenclature, there is evidence suggesting SCC 16..."
Now to muddy the water a tad, I did come across a ref a while ago to Australian Service Colour 'J', close to FS 33070.
So mixes:
SCC 207/16: 10xHu155 + 2xHu66 + 1xHu33

Svce Colour 'J': 10xHu150 + 2xHu100 + 1xHu33

SCC 13 Jungle Green: 4xHu159 + 3xHu155 + 1xHu33. This was the colour specified for use in India, Burma & the Far East. I have included it here as another option as it produces a very drab, muddy dk green - which likely led to the development of SCC 16, which is darker than this colour."

Since you have picked a colour,  you might find this museum tale of use... the italics are a quote from Mike Starmer

"

'The museum painted vehicles and artwork in books are not accurate, which is why they look so different.'

Quite so. Some years ago I was at Bovington watching their painter outside applying markings to their brown Churchill. The colour was brown but not SCC 2. I asked how they went about deciding the colour of this exhibit. The reply? Well we were told they were sort of dark brown so we went to B&Q and found something that we thought about right. There was no need to guess, they have a copy of BS.987C in their archive. But colour is not important to the staff there and no one it appears is interested enough to bother. They do however have copies of my books."

Bovington have got much better, there is an interesting tank talk about restoring their Tigers

I must read the whole thread at some point....  but it can be a bit of a time vortex...   hope the above is of interest.

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Now that would make a tasty abandoned rusty wreck, wouldn't it? 

Yes it would, the T-54/55 chassis  seems to make good rusty wrecks, I think it's the wide track guards, they are a good visible area where you can model either lots of damage, or lots of dusty rusty mess.

@Torbjörn Hanö is doing a rusty one in WIP - Armour at the moment, he's done some very nice subtle rust on the hull and the dozer blade, looks very cool.

That sectioned rear idler looks very good btw, with just a part of the bearing showing, quality little job ;)

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jasper dog

Hmmm.

Thanks.

Yes indeed. 

I have a wry smile on my face reading your comment. I've gone a little bit off my rails with the Lee and made it a lot less enjoyable than it needed to be. @Troy Smith's comment raised the same issue so I'll reply in detail to his post and answer yours at the same time. 

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Not sure on Australian Lee's , but there were British jungle greens,  from the work of @Mike Starmer

Thank you, Troy for writing such a lot of information about British Jungle Greens. You are always so generous with your time and typing, and so keen to be helpful, that I almost feel humbled. Your post has actually been helpful to me this morning and has led me to realise what an unfortunate mistake I've been making in my attitude to the Lee. Very helpful, though not perhaps, in the way that you intended.

The moment I saw Mike Starmer's name I understood why I had lost all the joy of the build. I had slipped backward into my grim, miserable, perfectionism. This is a demon that has haunted my life, making me self-critical and judgemental in the worst way of my models, my friends, everything in my life. It has let me into so much unhappiness that I've even had professional therapy to help me chill out and enjoy my self, my hobbies and other people even when they are not perfect.

We call it Advanced Modeller's Syndrome, for a joke, but it's not really funny, is it? We worry so much about getting the correct shade of green or the correct number of spokes on a wheel, that we rarely finish a model and NEVER feel satisfied with the ones that we do finish.

I have lately spend so much time cursing the 0.2mm offset in MiniArt's moulding, and vainly trying to fix it on all of those tiny pieces, that I've forgotten that I bought the model for the fun of building something that I could imagine myself being inside, and play with like a kid with a doll's house or a den. I didn't have to make all those pieces perfect. I just needed to squint a bit and enjoy the astonishing complexity of the kit and of the tank that it's based on. 

Imagination doesn't need a perfect setting, in fact my imagination and my happiness is killed stone dead by trying (and inevitably failing) to get everything correct because my perfectionism is based on fear. When a kid is unlucky enough to grow up with highly critical, violent and unpredictable parents he may be forgiven for trying to get everything absolutely right in order to avoid random punishment. Unfortunately, this can become a habit which he carries into adulthood to his detriment. 

I have to maintain a light-hearted approach to life in general. It's why I chose to be Bertie. Bertie Wooster doesn't concern himself with shades of green. He jumps in the tank and goes "Brummm Brummmm! Bang! Ratatatataatat!" Bertie shouldn't have spent tens of hours scraping mould lines. He should have just stuck it all together and said "Wizzard!" 

So MiniArt, please forgive me for not enjoying your kit as much as I might have. The fault was mine. And readers, please forgive my negativity of the last few weeks. 

Right then, Time to slap this baby together and race it down the street!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Yes it would, the T-54/55 chassis  seems to make good rusty wrecks, I think it's the wide track guards, they are a good visible area where you can model either lots of damage, or lots of dusty rusty mess.

@Torbjörn Hanö is doing a rusty one in WIP - Armour at the moment, he's done some very nice subtle rust on the hull and the dozer blade, looks very cool.

@Torbjörn Hanö, yeah! Fine work on that one. 

There's quite a big hole in the top where the turret isn't and there's a lot of engine bay too so I'm thinking scrapyard. A stripped down, rusty and graffitied APC used in it's later years as a scrapyard bulldozer until it aged to the point was of no further use and then being stripped out and left to rust away in the weeds at the back of the yard.

With a battered old Toyota pickup for company like a retired shire horse and its friend the donkey in a field somewhere...

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

That sectioned rear idler looks very good btw, with just a part of the bearing showing, quality little job ;)

Cheers my dear. 

• Like 2

Regarding your post on enjoying the build;  Spencer P was interviewed recently on one of the well known modelling podcasts and was talking in a similar vain. Basically who are you building for and why? He quite rightly pointed out you are only competing with yourself more often than not and the whole purpose of the hobby is to enjoy it. So basically who gives fig if it's the right shade of green? (I don't care as long as it's in the right ball park). Matt paint inparticular fades really quickly add to that all the other stuff going on with it and it will be that exact factory colour when it rolls off the production line and that's it. Give it a few months of UV, salt air, dirt, touch ups and general abuse that exact colour has changed. (And we haven't even mentioned the scale effect on colour and light reflection...)

Bertie I say to you, build it, paint it and play with it how you want to and you'll get no stick from me or anyone else with any common sense. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with helpful advice on building and painting, it certainly helps me but advice is just that advice it's up to recipients if they wish to act on it. 

It would be an awfully dull hobby without the humour for me!

(I actually really enjoyed the Ekranoplan I built recently because it was a really quick and simple build, no fussing over details just oob build and a bit of fun with the paint).

Apologies for the lengthy diatribe. 

Darryl 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Apologies for the lengthy diatribe. 

No apologies needed Darryl. I enjoy the philosophy/psychology aspects of moddelling a lot better then masking canopies, dealing with PE, assembling tracks, filling seams and many other fun processes. 😱

@Troy Smith mentioned those guys in the museum 

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Well we were told they were sort of dark brown so we went to B&Q and found something that we thought about right.

I'm even worse than that. I decided that it might have been jungle green and picked out a Tamiya colour that I liked. That's the way Bertie does it. :tease:

That was at the beginning though and then somewhen along the way I forgot my self, and began to build for my imaginary critical audience. Curiously, he's been dead for 20+ years so I don't suppose he's going to venture an opinion. 🤣 Having gotten all this old crap off my chest I'm full of fun and hot to trot once more.

Just you wait 'til I get all of the other camouflage colours onto this beastie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The moment I saw Mike Starmer's name I understood why I had lost all the joy of the build. I had slipped backward into my grim, miserable, perfectionism. This is a demon that has haunted my life, making me self-critical and judgemental in the worst way of my models, my friends, everything in my life. It has let me into so much unhappiness that I've even had professional therapy to help me chill out and enjoy my self, my hobbies and other people even when they are not perfect.

We call it Advanced Modeller's Syndrome, for a joke, but it's not really funny, is it? We worry so much about getting the correct shade of green or the correct number of spokes on a wheel, that we rarely finish a model and NEVER feel satisfied with the ones that we do finish.

I relate to this absolutely

I had early onset AMS, around 15-16, when I certainly didn't finish anything,.  Of course there was no BM back then, only Scale Models to judge against,  I didn't know any other modellers, in fact I had no idea how far down the rabbit hole I'd gone back then.... a long long way I now realise. 

In my case a lot of this was an area of my life I did have some control over, shame I had on-one who could have explained I was doing well and actually knew a lot, and you know there are actually careers in this kind of thing...    it was all dismissed as being 'Airfix kits' and of no consequence..  

Anyway not long after that I was able to enter  a different world of distractions...   This is not the place for lengthy digression in the rabbit hole of music obsession and record collecting...  

On a return to the hobby I did make progress, but also ended up doing way too much research,  and waiting to get the correct modelling space ready,  learn to airbrush, requiring the space to set it up  etc etc.

In the end I forced my self to build a model basically OOB and FINISH it. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

which struck a happy balance between keeping the AMS at bay, while doing a reasonable job overall,  especailly in the areas of things I'd not got around to ever reaching, like painting, decalling, weathering ...finishing. 

48 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That was at the beginning though and then somewhen along the way I forgot my self, and began to build for my imaginary critical audience

Our own worst critics...  tricky stuff.   Funny how what seems like such a simple hobby can become such a core element to a personality.  This would turn into a very long answer if I went into that....   

My inner critic did have to concede that finished Hurricane was

a. finished,

b. not crap

c. enjoyable, this in part as I got to share it one here and have people make pleasant and encouraging comments.  

Which is why this place is great, the ability to share things that for 99.9% of people you know are deeply dull and irrelevant,  here are are absolutely fascinating and important, and often very helpful to others as well.... 

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thank you, Troy for writing such a lot of information about British Jungle Greens. You are always so generous with your time and typing, and so keen to be helpful,

A pleasure, as long as it's of use.

14 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm even worse than that. I decided that it might have been jungle green and picked out a Tamiya colour that I liked. That's the way Bertie does it. :tease:

Wonderful.  Model on and enjoy!

is this the right green to write this  though, hmmm ;) 

52 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

So basically who gives fig if it's the right shade of green? (I don't care as long as it's in the right ball park). Matt paint inparticular fades really quickly add to that all the other stuff going on with it and it will be that exact factory colour when it rolls off the production line and that's it. Give it a few months of UV, salt air, dirt, touch ups and general abuse that exact colour has changed.

Some people do.  And courtesy of them, we can know what the exact shade of green it should have been. (see comments below)

Which is a useful starting point.  These colour bunfights are a regular fixture.  Your comments have merit, and I am certainly guilty of AMS on here... I'm also very very cross that I can't buy an acrylic model paint that says its, say RAF Dark Green, to find it's say an abomination like Humbrol 30.

That so much badly matched colour is punted out shows a mix of laziness, stupidity or contempt for the customer.   

You may not have seen this (and you may well have just ignored another color thread) but this has been the most significant lightbulb post on paint colour I have seen recently.

This is by @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies who runs a paint maker, and has made up RN colours from original wartime formulas for research.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078859-accuracy-of-ammo-by-mig-jiménez-raf-wwii-colours/page/3/#elControls_4045174_menu

I'm going to point out some facts about real-life paint manufacture and either the reader will understand and "get it" or will not understand and are in no position to contradict me.

1) Usually camouflage colours are fairly low saturation colours because these blend in better with nature. They're seldom bright and bold. Low saturation colours are normally manufactured by adding coloured pigments to a base made from inexpensive white or white and black pigments.

2) Colour pigments are expensive. The expense varies depending on the specific pigment, but they're expensive.

3) The only way to over-saturate a colour so much is to substantially over-dose your base with the expensive colour pigments. I'm not talking about a few percent more or less - that causes minor differences which you only confirm the presence of with one swatch adjacent to another - I'm talking more in the order of a double dose to get something you obviously look at and think "woah".

4) In the case of colours like dark olive, these are mostly white, black and ochre (which is relatively inexpensive for a colour pigment) sometimes further tinted with a bit of red or green (which are often very expensive).

5) There can certainly be variances in a manufactured paint, but these tend to be greatly overstated, i.e. used as a ready made excuse for all sorts of mistakes. Ultimately, the only way a manufactured paint can end up so oversaturated is to have dumped in a vast amount of the expensive pigments, if not adding in new additional pigments in large quantities not expected in the recipe. Frankly, it's difficult to see how any manufactured paint could end up so drastically off target, particularly in the over-saturated sense, by any business that wasn't actively trying to bankrupt itself by roasting through obscene quantities of pigments like chrome green which were already expensive at the start of the war and in particularly short supply during.

6) I'd venture that most of the "there was a war on, you know" type apologists for such spectacular errors probably don't have any actual experience of what is and isn't possible when mixing different proportions of 2,3 or 4 pigments when 2 of those are usually black and white just to make your base to tint. You simply cannot end up with a Humbrol 30-esque bluish green using only the ingredients to make olive - i.e. you'd actually have to sabotage it by introducing if not blue then an obviously bluish green. Same goes for that bright green Spitfire above - you can't achieve that with black, white, ochre and a touch of red - you'd need to fire in a lot of bright green pigment in to get that saturated on an overly-light base. It would be more tan-like just using the basic olive green ingredients which only turns obviously olive when tinted enough with black. Put another way, with a fixed number of pigments in various ratios you WILL end up somewhere within a certain envelope, and usually when colours like this bright green are discussed it's because it's well outside that envelope.

The point of all the above? In essence it's harder to make a credible explanation for how such a colour might have been arrived at in a real-life paint manufacturing environment than it is to demonstrate that someone would have had to go to a lot of trouble to get it so far wrong. That is harder to rationalise than just getting it closer to correct.

He also posted a video

I've quickly shot a 15min video showing what I said earlier in action with real pigments in real time. It's uploading to Youtube at the moment and I'll post a link in this thread when it's uploaded and processed.

https://youtu.be/trDFd_-SMZs

which shows the above in reality.

The point about pigments and cost is not a trivial one either, Mike Starmer calculated the British army needed 8,000 tons of paint a year in the war... 

Hope of interest, I found this very useful in dealing with real world volumes of paint, rather than tiny little pots. 

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

1) Usually camouflage colours are fairly low saturation colours because these blend in better with nature. They're seldom bright and bold. Low saturation colours are normally manufactured by adding coloured pigments to a base made from inexpensive white or white and black pigments.

2) Colour pigments are expensive. The expense varies depending on the specific pigment, but they're expensive.

Most of the paint I've used in my moddelling career has been dull, desaturated colours. A couple of years ago I bought some Warhammer figures on impulse and bought paints to match from the Vallejo Game Colors range. I was astonished by the vibrancy and brilliance of the hues. Later, I tried painting figures with oils and while I have struggled with applying them, I had the same reaction again as I encountered 'proper' artists oil colours at £lots per tube. I remember the sixties and seventies and those oil paints make me think of then. Isn't the twenty-first century dull?! Clothes, cars, interior decoration. So boring! 

• Like 2

I found the energy for some airbrushing this afternoon. (I don't need a day off now I've got my happy head on again.)

y4m88QAcfw7AmZSqriBWk9dRsniRWMREszMkAJwq

Everything that needed to be white is. That includes a lot of the floors in the hull that I wasn't happy with before.

Everything that can be sprayed green has been. Any touching up or weathering will be done manually.

I painted the ammunition polished brass. My museum staff are a bit sloppy at times but they do keep the shells nice and shiny. Bless 'em.

• Like 7

On 3/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

y4mU_uFK7iuyXy56XXcqIFLcpS3acfuJjO23sTCQ

(In best Michael Caine voice) Nobody move, I've got an idea....

Bertie old thing, I just did a catchup of the entire thread. Colour me rather impressed. Probably one of the best cutaway models I've ever seen.

We've had moving home trauma and modellers angst. Talk about drama! At the end of the day though, we've remounted the fun bus. So all's well.

Interesting colour discussions too. We try to reproduce the colours of the real thing, but here's one you may not know.

The Royal Saudi Air Force wanted to paint the Hawks of their display team green. One of the Brits out there painted an Airfix model in Humbrol green.

They liked it. Guess which exact shade of green they use on the real jets....

As for having a clean out and dumping parts and unwanted models, I had to have a lie down! Remember us scratchbuilders next time, Please!

Rant over. As you were. Z Victor one, out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

(In best Michael Caine voice) Nobody move, I've got an idea....

Bertie old thing, I just did a catchup of the entire thread. Colour me rather impressed. Probably one of the best cutaway models I've ever seen.

We've had moving home trauma and modellers angst. Talk about drama! At the end of the day though, we've remounted the fun bus. So all's well.

Interesting colour discussions too. We try to reproduce the colours of the real thing, but here's one you may not know.

The Royal Saudi Air Force wanted to paint the Hawks of their display team green. One of the Brits out there painted an Airfix model in Humbrol green.

They liked it. Guess which exact shade of green they use on the real jets....

As for having a clean out and dumping parts and unwanted models, I had to have a lie down! Remember us scratchbuilders next time, Please!

Rant over. As you were. Z Victor one, out.

That's rather a comprehensive reply Pete. I'd forgotten half of the things you mentioned.😁

• Haha 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Voyage to the Centre of the Lee - Painting details and final assembly phase..

I do like you're cut down sports model Lee, what it gives up in crew protection it makes up for in style!

So glad the happy head has been found!

On 16/04/2022 at 14:31, Troy Smith said:

Some people do.  And courtesy of them, we can know what the exact shade of green it should have been. (see comments below)

Probably a sweeping generalisation on my part I'm afraid, I hope I didn't offend and I'm sure you are totally correct, some folk do and that's great we can all learn from it. However it just erks when someone's enjoyment of the hobby is spoilt for them because they get caught in the trap of exact shade of whatever or worse still someone denigrates a model for being the wrong shade without adding anything constructive. Obviously that hasn't happened here it's just one of those things for me. 

For me and I stress for me, I don't see the point in getting hung up on it, as long as it's reasonable. The exact colour/shade doesn't remain the same over time. Some colours fade terribly others like Dunklegelb get darker with age so how can we say one version of whichever colour is correct? Just so many variables, in my mind. However if a modeller wants to go down that route for their own enjoyment then brilliant as long as they enjoy it. This hobby is many things to many people and it's all the better for it!

As someone has said in the past, we're just painting plastic toys....:bandit: :winkgrin:       

The part about the Bovington B&Q repaints I've come across too. Can't remember where, might have been on one of the Tank Chats but not sure, an elderly 

gentleman was being interviewed and he said pretty much the same thing. I got the impression as an apprentice they'd be sent to the local hardware store to get a green or a brown or whatever so as they could repaint / restore the vehicle in question.  I recall some of the DIY paint jobs from my first visit in 1980 and I'd assume it was a practice that had started years earlier. The current paintwork on some of the exhibits might not be to everyone's liking but it's a huge improvement on what it was.

I wish I could fine my dads photos from the 50s to try and compare the exhibits over the ages.

That ok for you Bertie,  you did say you enjoyed the philosophical aspects too....:whistle:

Hope alls ok, we haven't had an update in nearly 24hrs!

Take care

Darryl 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Haha! I posted FOUR updates yesterday on the boat build. Disasters and triumphs and a lot of rude humour. Go and have a look Darryl, it will make you chortle.

(I'll answer your post in detail later)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I do like your cut down sports model Lee, what it gives up in crew protection it makes up for in style!

It's the beach buggy of the armoured vehicles. 😆

So glad the happy head has been found!

:yahoo: Same. I sometimes drift into the dark, but these days, not for very long, and not as deep.

As someone has said in the past, we're just painting plastic toys....:bandit: :winkgrin:       

I used to work in a bookshop and one day, when an irate customer had given me all the grief I cared to take over the late arrival of a book he'd ordered, I said to him. Never mind pal, it's only a book." Oddly, that didn't seem to calm him down at all. It made me feel a lot better though. 

That ok for you Bertie,  you did say you enjoyed the philosophical aspects too....:whistle:

Splendid Darryl, I love these digressions. If it wasn't for random stuff like this we'd just be chatting about plastic toys! :tease:

That's a little bit of caring disguised as a humorous poke in the ribs. I appreciate that, Darryl. Thanks mate.

• Like 3

@Jasper dog, here's your update.

y4m25Y8Of4eZ2LyIeCoi-vtSQPukTwf0xETXam_K

As you see, not a lot has happened while I've been busy with the boat. I'm really tired after a long walkies today and a stiff drink when I got home. I'm far too dopey for maritime adventuring so I'll crack on with this simple tank project this evening instead. 🤪

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's a little bit of caring disguised as a humorous poke in the ribs. I appreciate that, Darryl. Thanks mate.

More than welcome, just don't let on or it could ruin the image! :winkgrin:

I like to think of the folk we interact with here as a mates and it does no harm to check in and give someone a friendly poke occasionally. 

Had a quick scan through you're boat build, quite an interesting undertaking with a whole new skill set required,  good effort that man! Now you've started adding the planking I can see how it should work out once sanded/shaped. (Hesitant to use the phrase "sanded" after reading your piece about it!)

I'll try and keep popping in on the boat when time permits, fascinating project. I've just to be careful I don't spend all my modelling time, what little there usually is of it, perusing BM instead of actually sticking bits of plastic together!

And of course, last but not least, the update!

Looking rather splendid if I dare say, even down to the stowed Thompson. 

As for the beach buggy of armoured vehicles, reminds me of a kit I've knocking around somewhere of a cut down panzer I used for driver training.

Anyway, really must right up about my weekend sticking bits of a plastic toy together!

Take care

Darryl 

• Like 2

Had a quick scan through you're boat build, quite an interesting undertaking with a whole new skill set required,  good effort that man! Now you've started adding the planking I can see how it should work out once sanded/shaped. (Hesitant to use the phrase "sanded" after reading your piece about it!)

It's been fascinating seeing such a complex, curved shape appearing in my hands from a box of flat rectangular pieces of wood.

I'll try and keep popping in on the boat when time permits, fascinating project. I've just to be careful I don't spend all my modelling time, what little there usually is of it, perusing BM instead of actually sticking bits of plastic together!

You are welcome there, and welcome to comment over there too if it's more convenient. I often lose entire moddelling sessions while reading about other people working!

And of course, last but not least, the update!

Looking rather splendid if I dare say, even down to the stowed Thompson. 

As for the beach buggy of armoured vehicles, reminds me of a kit I've knocking around somewhere of a cut down panzer I used for driver training.

That's one of the Valentine tank projects I have at the planning stage, an open-topped Indian Army driver training vehicle!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

@Jasper dog, here's your update.

y4m25Y8Of4eZ2LyIeCoi-vtSQPukTwf0xETXam_K

As you see, not a lot has happened while I've been busy with the boat. I'm really tired after a long walkies today and a stiff drink when I got home. I'm far too dopey for maritime adventuring so I'll crack on with this simple tank project this evening instead. 🤪

Wow! That does look good. An incredible build so far. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1