HMS Rodney Build Log - 1/200

4 hours ago, andyelbac said:

the missing gun sight from one of the 4.7" cannons that I mentioned in an earlier post has been found...what are the odds? The modelling gods were smiling on me over the weekend for sure.

Gidday, go and buy a lottery ticket. 🙂 

I hate waste too (a polite excuse for me being a hoarder 😉) and those octuple pompoms look very good, if you can manage them, too good to throw out. They look way out of my league though.

Regards, Jeff.

21 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, go and buy a lottery ticket. 🙂 

I hate waste too (a polite excuse for me being a hoarder 😉) and those octuple pompoms look very good, if you can manage them, too good to throw out. They look way out of my league though.

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. To be honest I thought long and hard about buying the Pontis kit. I'm far from an expert on PE and many is the etch kit I have purchased only to end up binning much of it because it was beyond my skill set. I have to say though, the Pontos set is as easy an etch set to use as I have seen, albeit some of the instruction photos could be clearer. I think the difference here is that given how much it costs I decided to take a more methodical approach than I would normally do. Essentially, I am more organised, cautious before bending and refraining where I can from removing plastic unless I'm sure I can use the etch replacement. So far this approach have worked well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, andyelbac said:

I think the difference here is that given how much it costs I decided to take a more methodical approach than I would normally do. Essentially, I am more organised, cautious before bending and refraining where I can from removing plastic unless I'm sure I can use the etch replacement. So far this approach have worked well.

I think there’s a lot in that.  I share your pain re massively complex 8-barrelled Pom-Poms (in my case 1/350 versions for Ark Royal). Mine are Tetra rather than Pontos, and to be fair to Tetra they look amazing when done, and the engineering is stunning; provided you do exactly as set out in the instructions (which are better than Pontos, judging by the sample you’ve posted) the whole intricate 3D jigsaw really does fit together, despite all your expectations that it will collapse into an expensive mess of mangled brass at every stage….  

[I hope you’ll forgive the thread hijack]

51028886163_a1c001be52_b.jpg

Though it undeniably takes the (pretty flawed) Merit Ark to an entirely different level, the Tetra detail-up set is definitely not cheap, so I rapidly decided that I was going to take my time and really make the most of it.  So far, apart from a self-induced disaster with bridge wind-baffles (and even that was recoverable with patience) it has paid off.

Looks like yours is too; Rodney coming along very nicely indeed.  So far I have resisted the temptations of 1/200, though if anyone ever did an RN carrier in that scale my wife might have to hide my credit crds indefinitely…

• Like 2

I finished the 20mm Oerlikon's last night. 17 are required and 8 hours of build time which takes me to a total so far of 27 hours. Looking at the Pontos instructions prior to building, I didn't fancy the idea of successfully bending the ammo canisters into a round shape, even after annealing. In the end I used a piece of plastic rod (pic below), the closest diameter I had to the canister sides and used that as a former to bend the etch around. Although not perfect, it worked well enough and I'm certain if I had tried to form 'free hand' they would have been a disaster. Curved bends in etch are my worst nightmare!

2022-03-30_09-43-22

2022-03-30_09-25-24

2022-03-30_09-25-12

My 0.5mm drill bits appear to have been lost in the post so more are on order. Hopefully they will arrive before the weekend so I can finish off the Pom Pom's. Until then am looking fearfully at the Pontos instructions for the crane used to lift the Walrus from the sea. 🤪

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think there’s a lot in that.  I share your pain re massively complex 8-barrelled Pom-Poms (in my case 1/350 versions for Ark Royal). Mine are Tetra rather than Pontos, and to be fair to Tetra they look amazing when done, and the engineering is stunning; provided you do exactly as set out in the instructions (which are better than Pontos, judging by the sample you’ve posted) the whole intricate 3D jigsaw really does fit together, despite all your expectations that it will collapse into an expensive mess of mangled brass at every stage….

Though it undeniably takes the (pretty flawed) Merit Ark to an entirely different level, the Tetra detail-up set is definitely not cheap, so I rapidly decided that I was going to take my time and really make the most of it.  So far, apart from a self-induced disaster with bridge wind-baffles (and even that was recoverable with patience) it has paid off.

Looks like yours is too; Rodney coming along very nicely indeed.  So far I have resisted the temptations of 1/200, though if anyone ever did an RN carrier in that scale my wife might have to hide my credit crds indefinitely…

8 barrel pom pom in etch in 1/350!!!!! I shall never complain again. I doff my hat to you Sir!

• Haha 2

A quick question for all you Rodney experts. Reading through Man 0'War 3, Rodney's turret hosting the Walrus is referred to as both 'Q' and 'X' not 'C'. A mistake in the publication and if not, which is correct and why not just call it 'C' turret?

2 hours ago, andyelbac said:

albeit some of the instruction photos could be clearer.

Compared to these, your instructions are crystal :thumbsup:

p?i=44c18b9bcd09b27ab6581d6fa3f7f220

I've got more brass bits than are actually on these instructions, so a little bit of guess work is going on here.

Jon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyelbac said:

A quick question for all you Rodney experts. Reading through Man 0'War 3, Rodney's turret hosting the Walrus is referred to as both 'Q' and 'X' not 'C'. A mistake in the publication and if not, which is correct and why not just call it 'C' turret?

Gidday, I've often wondered that myself. And why the third turret of the Dido class cruisers were referred to as 'Q' turret too. In the references I recall, anyway.

Regards, Jeff.

22 hours ago, Faraway said:

Compared to these, your instructions are crystal :thumbsup:

p?i=44c18b9bcd09b27ab6581d6fa3f7f220

I've got more brass bits than are actually on these instructions, so a little bit of guess work is going on here.

Jon

You never know how lucky you are, do you! 

• Like 1

I've finally finished the Pom Pom's. My confidence took a bit of a hit near the end. First of all I realised I had made a mistake on the first one I completed. The eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted that I fixed the block (don't  know the technical term) that houses the barrels, upside down. In the photo below showing all 6 Pom Pom's together, the first one is on the far left. Anyway, I contemplated trying to take it apart but quickly realised that it would turn ugly so I am just going to have to get used to it. Secondly, I had a bit of a mare with the ammo boxes. They were difficult to fit one on top of the other and then to the block thingy with the barrels in. Constant breakages and expletives were the result. I can't get them any better than they are and if I keep fiddling with them they are only going to get worse. The solution is simple. Viewing of the completed model will be restricted to no closer than 6 feet! 😀 Anyway, the following photos show the progression from start to finish, although in my excitement at finally receiving my 0.5mm drill bits I forgot to take standalone pics of the block thingy (breech?):

2022-03-27_08-10-23

Trumpeter parts with plastic removed.

2022-03-27_08-10-16

Platform and facing to block thingy added.

2022-03-27_08-10-11

Spent casings chute added.

2022-03-29_07-00-51

Front splinter shields added.

2022-03-29_07-01-06

Rear platforms added.

2022-03-29_07-01-26

Trunions (?) added.

2022-03-29_07-01-39

Gun sights added.

2022-03-29_07-01-58

Some sort of electrical box and motor housing (?) added in front of splinter shields.

2022-03-29_07-02-12

Railings to raised platforms added.

2022-03-31_10-08-37

I'm the proud parent of sextuplets! The wonky one will always be my favourite 🥰. Mind you, it was a difficult birth. 11 hours start to finish. I'm going to insist I have a headache from now on! Total build time to date: 38 hours.

Next up: Paravanes, and then I might consider looking at the hull. My paint is on the way from Sovereign Hobbies (thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies). I understand the armour plating is over thick so that might be the next piece of work after the mine cutters.

• Like 6

Great work! Boats and such anti-aircraft guns are models entirely by themselves...

pompom_33.jpg

One of my pompoms is wonky too, if someone points that out I'll point out an eye :)

• Like 8

@andyelbac stunning piece (s) of work.

You might think you are building one ship, but really you are building lots of little sub-assemblies, that make one ship.

Jon

1 hour ago, foeth said:

Great work! Boats and such anti-aircraft guns are models entirely by themselves...

pompom_33.jpg

One of my pompoms is wonky too, if someone points that out I'll point out an eye :)

:door:

1 hour ago, foeth said:

pompom_33.jpg

Nice paint job. Will be more than happy if I can match that!

I took some advice from Marijn van Gils, who applies various techniques to his models from figure painting (and then some). Takes a bit more time but it was well worth it and not much more difficult than soldering PE ;) Really brings the small details to the surface! I meanwhile fear painting as my airbrush always seems to disagree with my paint and ruins a perfect surface...

110055-10000-71-pristine.jpg

• Like 2

Paravanes. These look easy, or so I thought. 5 hours later and I'm done with them. Fiddly is not the word I would use. The word I would use, and did frequently, was %$$%&*%$! Hateful, hateful things. Thank the heavens there were only four. At the halfway stage I was looking through the Trumpeter instructions to see how detailed the kit ones were, only to discover there are no kit ones. Bummer. Here we see one of two tiny lifting brackets that Pontos would have you locate either side of the Paravane body. Oh, and they also want you to put a 90 deg bend in each as well!

2022-04-01_04-41-23

With these tiny areas to bend, annealing is an absolute must. Without annealing, these bends would be nigh on impossible without either destroying the part or seeing it ping off into the lair of the carpet monster. Here we are with the completed parts. Not my finest effort but they will do.

2022-04-01_04-41-39

Now I know that two Paravans were located in lockers behind the first breakwater in the bow. Can anyone advise where the other two were stored or were Pontos just being exceedingly generous? Total build time now standing at 43 hours.

• Like 3

Gidday, those brackets you bent must be at least 1.5mm in size. Surely a bench vice and a pair of pliers would have done the job, saved you the trouble of annealing? 😁 And I'm very familiar with your word " %$$%&*%$!", I've often used it myself. I think your completed paravanes look very good. Regards, Jeff.

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, those brackets you bent must be at least 1.5mm in size. Surely a bench vice and a pair of pliers would have done the job, saved you the trouble of annealing? 😁 And I'm very familiar with your word " %$$%&*%$!", I've often used it myself. I think your completed paravanes look very good. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I have to keep telling myself that when Rodders is completed (fingers crossed), I won't be looking at it through magnifying glasses. Errors that look glaringly obvious whilst building will hopefully look perfect when using your bog standard eyeballs.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2022 at 13:00, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi and welcome to the Maritime section :)

HMS Rodney is one of the better Trumpeter kits so hopefully you'll enjoy this. Unfortunately the Man'o'War series of books are generally very poor on colour schemes and that's true for both these sisters. Nice illustrations - completely wrong though.

@dickrd helped me draw more accurate ones a few years ago which are available for free online as noted above by Jon 

@Faraway

Hi Jamie, my paint arrived yesterday. Great service and many thanks. Do you have the link you mention above for the  colour scheme drawings? 

25 minutes ago, Brandy said:

All your photo links are coming up on Flickr as "page not found"

Ian

Hi, are you referring to the first few photos at the beginning of the thread or all of them? 

2 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Just looked at the ones you posted on Thursday.

Ian

I think I'm misunderstanding how ths photo thing works. When I review this thread I can see my photos on it. Admittedly if you click on it it becomes blank because the photos are deleted on flickr. But you can still see the photos in the thread, no?