HMS Rodney Build Log - 1/200

23 hours ago, andyelbac said:

With these tiny areas to bend, annealing is an absolute must

Hats off to you for actually doing this. I think I might have quit.

Jon

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

No. If you've deleted the photos on Flickr they won't show. The link is a link to the photo, delete it, and no pic!

Ian

Thanks Ian, but for this technophobe, why do I still see the photos in the thread?

no. nothing special. I have found more and more links to pics not working. Maybe it's the link being blocked by UAE, I don't know. but if the link is posted in full it should still work as I don't have to access the link, the pic will be shown on the forum anyway.

In this case the ink seems to work and it takes me to flickr, but flickr says it is wrong!

Ian

I hope you get it fixed Ian. I thought for a while I had screwed up the images. I can barely turn on a laptop without causing myself issues!

I'm moving on to the smoke stack. I feel the need to get a bit more involved with some Trumpeter plastic. Pure PE can be quite a drag some times, although of course with the Pontos kit you have to add PE to pretty much everything. Anyway, here's a quick shot of the inside of the smoke stack. I've  marked in black some large ejector pin mark's that I need to fill (surely the bane of every modellers life?) and remove the fixing points (circled) before painting the interior along with the required etch). I'm working on the basis that that top half of the smoke stack interior would be a flat or matt black....? Corrections would be appreciated.

2022-04-03_07-38-38

Also on the subject of paint @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies I think I recall you selling publications detailing the colours used for areas such walkways, etc. Are you able to recommend which is the most appropriate for reference? One dilemma I have is determining what colour to paint internal panels. As an example, the exterior vertical surface of say, a tub housing a Pom Pom, may have been painted black as part of the dazzle scheme. Would that have been carried forward to the interior tub wall and floor or would these have been painted some sort of stock RN grey? Hat's off to you naval modellers when working with these exotic camo schemes; I can't ever recall being this flummoxed by any of the colours I've had to lay down on my armour models.

I've only just found this build log, got to say its looking great so far, your PE work is really neat and tidy. I built the trumpeter Nelson a few years back with the MK1 design PE set, so I remember the pain of all those AA guns well. As well as the pain of super vague instructions, that etch set included a beautiful ships bell, but didn't tell you where it lived, which was one of the many fun items.

4 hours ago, MRMRL said:

I've only just found this build log, got to say its looking great so far, your PE work is really neat and tidy. I built the trumpeter Nelson a few years back with the MK1 design PE set, so I remember the pain of all those AA guns well. As well as the pain of super vague instructions, that etch set included a beautiful ships bell, but didn't tell you where it lived, which was one of the many fun items.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

That last pic shows no problem. Not sure what, if anything, you did differently but it works!

Ian

Ian, I wouldn't get you hopes up. I think its because I haven't actually deleted that pic of the smoke stack from Flckr. Other people seem to be able to see the pics so the issue must be your end somewhere. Flickr only give you 1000 pics free for storage. I decided that I would likely use all this quota for an entire Rodney build so my intention is to keep deleting the pics. Although the process indicates I am copying the pic URL it does seem that the way I am doing it actually copies the photo itself and that's why all the other followers can see the pics even though they have been deleted on Flickr. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:42 AM, andyelbac said:

I'm working on the basis that that top half of the smoke stack interior would be a flat or matt black....? Corrections would be appreciated.

I do not know what type of paint was applied there but with all the soot deposition black would be a good guess. I also added a variety of dusts and rusty filters.

funnels_01.jpg

A pic of HMS Hood showing the interior of the funnel and a collection of various depositions / damage in the coating (can't really tell which is which).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, foeth said:

I do not know what type of paint was applied there but with all the soot deposition black would be a good guess. I also added a variety of dusts and rusty filters.

funnels_01.jpg

A pic of HMS Hood showing the interior of the funnel and a collection of various depositions / damage in the coating (can't really tell which is which).

Thanks. That's a really useful picture. Certainly it allows for use of pigments and filters.

Continuing on with the funnel. I filled and sanded the ejector pin marks on the inner top surface. I applied some primer just to see if I had done a decent job but as you can see from the photo below, a little more filler is needed. By the way, as I am going to apply Sovereign Hobbies enamel paint to this model (and it's the first time I have used enamel paint), is it safe to assume I can apply it over bog standard acrylic primer?:

2022-04-05_01-15-24

Next step was a bit scary to be honest. The Pontos bracing for the funnel was extremely delicate. Trumpeter have you apply two pieces of etch. Pontos have you applying 15 pieces (not including the pipes and walkway). The first step was to apply an etch capping piece to sit on the top face of the funnel:

2022-04-05_01-19-47

Nect step was to add 5 pieces of internal bracing, two of which need bending at 90 deg. The issue is that these sit on top of the etch part above but hang below the height of the plastic funnel cap (above). Not sure I have explained that particularly well. Here is a photo of the Pontos instructions which show the problem:

2022-04-05_01-13-56

Although it may not be obvious from the photos it wa clear that there would need to be some sort of bracing to support the funnel cap whilst the etch was applied. This is what I came up with:

2022-04-05_01-14-08

Then with the two bent pieces of bracing:

2022-04-05_01-14-20

Followed by the central strut running up and over the side supports:

2022-04-05_01-14-37

Here I have (carefully) turned the piece over and added a bottom strut:

2022-04-05_01-14-57

Not the most perfect of fits but good enough. Next the capping plates that sit on top of the bracing:

2022-04-05_01-14-44

Each capping plate is actually made of two parts (bottom and top) and are basically sandwiched together.

Finally another strut which extends around the bracing and fixes up underneath. Hopefully from the instructions and photo you can see what I mean:

2022-04-05_01-15-09

The finished article. Not Pontos perfect but I'm happy with it, although to be honest, I will be a lot happier when it is painted and fixed securely to the funnel!

We move on to the  interior walkway and exhaust (?) pipes. This went together quite well:

2022-04-05_01-12-29

Here is the etched walkway. As well as three turned brass exhaust pipes Pontis also have you bend two into box section (above right).

2022-04-05_01-12-53

Here are the two square piors plus the three turned pipes (needing a little straightening).

The brass plate they fit to just fixes to the Trumpeter kit part. As you can see, there was a minor issue in that the holes in the Pontos plate didn't line up with the holes in the kit part, so a little extra work was required:

2022-04-05_01-12-41

Here they are completed:

2022-04-05_01-13-04 2022-04-05_01-13-20

2022-04-05_01-13-35

Five hours of work for the above brings me to 48 in total. I might take a little break from Rodney for a couple of days. I have Trumpeter's Atomic Annie in 1/35 that is almost complete and would like to do so final work on that. Will hopefully post new updates towards the end of the week. Until then, cheerio all!

• Like 7

Gidday, I can only see the first and final photo of this post, the others only have a thumbnail and date. But what I can see in the final photo looks very detailed and intricate. Regards, Jeff. 

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I can only see the first and final photo of this post, the others only have a thumbnail and date. But what I can see in the final photo looks very detailed and intricate. Regards, Jeff. 

Thanks Jeff, I don't know what's happening with the photos, I have changed anything, buy yes, I was very pleased with the way they came out.

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

Outstanding. That funnel cap is a kit all to its self. :worthy:

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I can't actually believe I managed to fo that without b*ggering it up. Etch really isn't my strong point. it's actually hats off to Pontos. Whilst the photos may sometimes leave a little to the imagination the etch has, on the whole, been a pleasure to work with.

Hi Andy, first ship and first blog.  You are absolutely killing it!  Really neat work all round - just read through from the start.  Agree with Jon, the stack is a superb model in it's own right :winkgrin:

It's made me want a Rodney in 1/350 (if you know what I mean)

Carry on the Good work, though a rest is well deserved

Rob

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words. As some people sre struggling to see the photos I have decided not to delete them from Flickr as I go forward. I will deal with the issue of having to pay for the privilege when I reach the 1,000 photo  limit. As mentioned, a few days break to get some more work in on my Atomic Annie and then will be back to Rodney.

I know I said I would take a break for a few days buy I decided to upload the progression pcs of the funnel support braces and walkways (without the commentary again) for those that could not see the photos  Hopefully, the fact that I have not deleted them from Flickr this time may make them visible (?):

51984228964_739f7f0711_b

51982931652_dbf6957dff_b

51984496195_1a8c3ae38d_b

51984496170_178fd6e4f0_b

51983945956_7684bd8dc3_b

51984496095_d2531544c1_b

51984223669_9391002765_b

51983946166_9dce2b3e89_b

51982931752_5a277bcc36_b

51984223589_1c75df8b10_b

• Like 9

On 05/04/2022 at 14:04, andyelbac said:

By the way, as I am going to apply Sovereign Hobbies enamel paint to this model (and it's the first time I have used enamel paint), is it safe to assume I can apply it over bog standard acrylic primer

This is what I have done on a few examples (vallejo black primer, although I also use alclad primer) and it seems to be fine for me, but I would suggest a test first. I would have said a test inside the funnels would be ideal, but that etch is too beautiful to risk.

David

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

This is what I have done on a few examples (vallejo black primer, although I also use alclad primer) and it seems to be fine for me, but I would suggest a test first. I would have said a test inside the funnels would be ideal, but that etch is too beautiful to risk.

David

Thanks David, I thought it likely to be ok but would rather not assume.

@andyelbac have you watched this ?

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/blogs/all-about-paint/spraying-colourcoats-paint

I’ve only got acrylic primer, and Colourcoats goes on fine. Also, it doesn’t seem to object if there is NO primer. I get just as good a covering and so far 🤞 I’ve had none lift off when I’ve masked over it and then removed the masking tape.

Jon