11th Armored Division Up-Armored Easy 8. FINISHED !!

Longbow

9 hours ago, Longbow said:

I mix my own, Bob. 
Vallejo Olive Drab. Drip or two of Chocolate Brown. Drip or two of Khaki. Drip or two of Iraqi Sand.
I then lighten it with Iraqi Sand and Khaki. 👍  

Thanks....drat!  I don't have any Iraqi sand, only desert sand.  :doh:

I knew you'd get the proverbial finger out sooner or later. Nice paintwork Lee, it looks nicely worn, faded and streaked. Going to be interesting so see what you do with the lower hull and stowage paint-wise.

I do see some of the advantages of attaching the tools and other items, tried that on the Shot Kal (Got to be so careful with that word and the autocorrect or the mods will be censoring me!) and it is better than painting all the brackets and mounts separately. So crack on wielding that brush! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks....drat!  I don't have any Iraqi sand, only desert sand.  :doh:

It's basically the same thing, and desert sand will work too.

The only reason I do it this way, is so that the green will blend with any weathering that follows. 

It's an old artists trick. You mix in tints of the colors to follow. Pretty sure it's used by figure painters too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

I knew you'd get the proverbial finger out sooner or later. Nice paintwork Lee, it looks nicely worn, faded and streaked. Going to be interesting so see what you do with the lower hull and stowage paint-wise.

I do see some of the advantages of attaching the tools and other items, tried that on the Shot Kal (Got to be so careful with that word and the autocorrect or the mods will be censoring me!) and it is better than painting all the brackets and mounts separately. So crack on wielding that brush! 

The issue I'm having is I seem to have forgotten the weathering process :D

It's been so long since I put paint to plastic, that I'm struggling on "What Next ??" 

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

The issue I'm having is I seem to have forgotten the weathering process :D

It's been so long since I put paint to plastic, that I'm struggling on "What Next ??" 

Join the club!

I've been sitting looking at the Israeli Centurion (safer than eventually calling it the Sh!t Cal). And thinking what the chuff am I supposed to do with this now!

Apparently, a panel line wash, chips,  scratches,  streaks, mud, dust, rain marks, stains, amongst other things are all part of the process....list not necessarily complete or in order! :shrug:

Have fun.....:winkgrin:

• Haha 2

That's more like it, once you get going memory seems to get the hang of it...

Turret looks great btw.

An "interesting" point came to mind and I'm not sure where I heard it so I can't substantiate owt but....Sure I've heard it said the quality of the US OD paint was so good it didn't tend to chip and flake as say the German paint would.

(The source might have been James and Al on the We Have Ways podcast but that's just a wild guess, then again could have been any of the well known modelling podcasts....:mental:).

As I said earlier, look good! :like:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

That's more like it, once you get going memory seems to get the hang of it...

Turret looks great btw.

An "interesting" point came to mind and I'm not sure where I heard it so I can't substantiate owt but....Sure I've heard it said the quality of the US OD paint was so good it didn't tend to chip and flake as say the German paint would.

(The source might have been James and Al on the We Have Ways podcast but that's just a wild guess, then again could have been any of the well known modelling podcasts....:mental:).

As I said earlier, look good! :like:

You are correct, it’s extremely hard wearing, and actually the high spots would polish darker. 
The problem is that I have to have “something” showing through all of the dried earth :D

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You are correct, it’s extremely hard wearing, and actually the high spots would polish darker. 
The problem is that I have to have “something” showing through all of the dried earth :D

Thanks for the confirmation!

I agree you need some thing to create visual interest,  otherwise straight OD on something this size is about as interesting as a lump of coal!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Longbow said:

Making a mess with oils…

You definition of 'mess' is obviously different from mine!

It really is looking superb!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

Well painted ,i like the chipping on the turret especially 

Shush,  don't encourage him! :winkgrin:

As much as it pains me to say it your tarp work looks particularly good, dam it!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

For the joy of finishing one so we can have a day off!

38 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

You definition of 'mess' is obviously different from mine!

It really is looking superb!

Kind regards,

Stix

28 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Shush,  don't encourage him! :winkgrin:

As much as it pains me to say it your tarp work looks particularly good, dam it!

You good gentlemen ever use Isopropyl alcohol as a chemical weathering agent ?

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hell no! You could easily find yourself looking at the plastic again. 

Wellll…. I was thinking of varnishing what I have, first, prior to tackling the dust and dirt 😂